CODEPINK: Friend, WE DID IT!!! We can't stop now!

  • realiteee1
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2008
      CODEPINK: Friend, WE DID IT!!! We can't stop now!
      Friend, WE DID IT!!! We can't stop now!
      September 30, 2008
      Dear Friend,

      WE DID IT!!! Let us repeat: WE DID IT!

      We joined together, in a wonderful, resolute outpouring of democracy.
      We stood toe-to-toe with Wall Street and their lackeys in Congress,
      and defeated them. Amazing what can happen when the people stand up!

      In Washington DC, as CODEPINK staged a "die-in" on the steps of the
      Capitol to say "Bailout? Over my dead body," Cong. Carolyn Kilpatrick
      gave us a big hug and said, "It's thanks to you that the bill is
      better than it was, and it's thanks to you that the next bill will be
      better than this one. Keep it up."

      That's just what we intend to do-demand that Congress go back to the
      drawing board and come up with bottom-up solutions that will provide
      direct relief for struggling homeowners, invest in a productive
      economy and force Wall Street to pay for its mistakes. Now is the
      time to mobilize our "people power."

      This Wednesday, October 1st, we are taking to the streets again to
      say "Bail out Main Street, not Wall Street!" If your Congressperson
      voted for this bill, take your event to their office. Show your
      outrage with a picket line, a sit-in or-better yet-organize a 24-hour
      encampment outside their office or their home. Find or create an
      event in your area. Remember, call the media!

      Flood the offices of your rep and Senator with calls (202-224-3121).
      Tell them to only vote Yes on future bailout bills that will directly
      benefit the American people. Add that we can save $12 billion a month
      by bringing our troops home!

      Tell Senators Obama and McCain to provide leadership by standing up
      for the people, not Wall Street. Sign the petition and we will hand-
      deliver your signatures and comments to their DC offices on
      Wednesday, October 1.

      We've breathed some life back into our democracy, but we can't stop
      now! Email your friends, your families, your coworkers, your sports
      team, your religious group, you civic organization and tell them the
      moment is now to stand up against giving away our tax dollars to the

      Let's join together this Wednesday and make them feel our power!
      Dana, Deidra, Desiree, Farida, Gael, Gayle, Jean, Jodie, Liz, Lori,
      Medea, Nancy, and Rae

      p.s. To educate yourself about the current crisis and alternative
      solutions, read:

      Time for a Taxpayers Revolt
      Joseph Stiglitz article on the Huffington Post
      Subprime Mess Explained in a PowerPoint Presentation

      Dollars and Cents blog
      http://bailoutmainstreet.com (our coalition partner)
      Great YouTube of Rep. Marcy Kaptur