CODEPINK Actions: You've Put Impeachment on the Table!; etc..

  • realiteee1
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2008
      CODEPINK Actions: You've Put Impeachment on the Table!; etc..
      You've Put Impeachment on the Table!
      July 30, 2008
      Dear Friend,

      CODEPINK activists have been steadily, faithfully, and creatively
      pressuring Congress to impeach the criminals in the White House, and
      we are starting to see results. Last week, at the Judiciary Committee
      hearing "Executive Power and its Constitutional Limitations,"
      impeachment was referenced dozens of times.

      In her first days in power, Nancy Pelosi famously announced that
      impeachment was off the table, but on the popular television show The
      View this past Tuesday, she admitted that she would hold impeachment
      hearings if someone could prove that Bush committed a crime. We hope
      she watched last week as Dennis Kucinich, Liz Holtzman, and Vincent
      Bugliosi passionately enumerated Bush's impeachable offenses at a
      Judiciary Committee hearing. Be sure to watch their stirring
      testimony -- it will inspire and galvanize you.

      Impeachment is the means the framers of the Constitution created to
      safeguard against an elected official's subverting the best interests
      of our country. Even though Bush's days in office are numbered, the
      damage he has done to our government may outlast his Presidency.
      Congress must fulfill its responsibility to hold this administration
      accountable for its flouting of the Constitution and international
      law. Please call the Judiciary Committee today at 202-225-3951 and
      demand an immediate impeachment hearing or inquiry.

      You can be documented in history as a citizen who pushed for
      impeachment--click here to sign our petition

      http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/424/t/4589/petition.jsp?
      petition_KEY=1332

      and be part of Dennis Kucinich's official testimony. He will deliver
      the list of names on Friday, where it will be added to the
      Congressional record. Each name makes our case stronger -- please
      add your endorsement today.

      You don't need to stop there; click here to join us at the DNC/RNC
      conventions in late August and early September where we will keep the
      pressure on both parties. As we've seen, our hard work is paying off.

      With peace and strength,
      Alicia, Anne, Dana, Deidra, Desiree, Farida, Gael, Gayle, Jean,
      Jodie, Liz, Lori, Medea, Nancy, Rae and Tighe

      P.S.

      Last week we went on CODEPINK Alert after Obama's trip to the Middle
      East resulted in talks of withdrawing troops from Iraq only to send
      them to Afghanistan. We countered with our piece on on Common Dreams
      and Huffington Post as well as sending out a survey to find out what
      you THINK and what you KNOW. If you haven't yet, take the survey
      here or see the correct answers and some of our favorite comments
      here.

      Call the Judiciary Committee
      202-225-3951
      to ask for an immediate impeachment hearing or inquiry

      Sign Kucinich's
      petition for impeachment today

      Join us to raise a ruckus at the DNC in Denver 8/25-8/28 and RNC in
      St. Paul, MN 9/1-9/4

      Why go to the conventions?

      GET CODEPINK'S
      RINGTONE!

      Listen to America?
      July 25, 2008
      Dear Friend,

      This week, the Obama campaign has pledged to "Listen to America" by
      coordinating hundreds of "Platform Meetings" around the country
      where, we are told, ordinary citizens will help develop the
      Democratic Party's platform. While these meetings and the reports
      they generate are unlikely to serve as more than unpaid "focus
      groups" for the campaign's management, they do present an opportunity
      for CODEPINK supporters to take our anti-war message to political
      gatherings in our communities.

      The central message we can bring to these discussions is simple: We
      don't want another Lyndon Johnson -- a Democratic candidate who
      during the election cycle pledged to end a war, but once in office
      only escalated it. Obama's recent proposals regarding the war
      indicate his steady drift into the military-industrial consensus: a
      drawdown instead of a withdrawal, with plenty of loopholes for
      further interventions. The American people have made it clear they
      want an end to America's military adventurism in Iraq and the Middle
      East, but to achieve this goal Obama and the Democratic Party need to
      commit to the following:

      1. No permanent (or enduring or "long-term") military bases in Iraq.
      2. The immediate withdrawal of American "contractors" (i.e.
      Blackwater mercenaries).
      3. An end to the coercive "privatization" of Iraq's resources (i.e.,
      the handover of their oil and mineral wealth to American
      corporations).
      4. Substantive diplomacy without preconditions with Iran, and a
      suspension of all military provocations and CIA "black" operations
      inside Iran.
      5. A genuine commitment to the rebuilding Iraq and Afghanistan -
      without the endless gravy train of billion-dollar "no-bid" contracts
      to Cheney's Halliburton and others.
      6. A commitment to engage the international community in support for
      the internally and externally displaced refugees in both Iraq and
      Afghanistan.
      7. A clear and unequivocal timetable for withdrawal from Iraq.

      You can go to the Obama campaign web site to locate and sign up for a
      platform meeting near you this weekend! Rather than going to a
      meeting organized around a specific topic (such as Early Childhood or
      Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Issues), choose one that is
      for a more general discussion. Before you go, please visit our Moving
      Obama campaign page for information about our campaign, including
      news and analysis and talking points.

      http://www.codepinkalert.org/modinput4.php?modin=97

      Thanks for the work you are doing to end the occupation of Iraq and
      to prevent war with Iran. Whether or not the Obama Campaign and the
      Democratic Leadership are truly "Listening to America," this is our
      opportunity to speak for peace.

      For questions, comments, or to let us know how a meeting went email
      locals@....

      Moving forward for peace,

      CODEPINK Peace Room 2008 Team