UNITE HERE: Tell Your Senators to Vote 'NO' on the Peru FTA!

  • james m nordlund
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2007
      Tell Your Senators to Vote 'NO' on the Peru FTA!
      Dear James M,

      http://action.unitehere.org/campaign/PeruFTA/x6x5uerrmidbj6?

      The Peru Free Trade Agreement (FTA) passed the House of
      Representatives in early November, with a majority of Democratic
      members voting against it. In fact, not one labor, environmental,
      interfaith or consumer group has endorsed the Peru FTA.

      It is out of step with American workers, environmentalists, farmers
      and faith organizations.

      In a surprise move on Friday, the Senate announced the Peru FTA is
      coming up for a vote this week. Debate started TODAY. It is time for
      action.

      Contact your Senators NOW and ask them to vote "no" to the Peru FTA!

      Send a letter to the following decision maker(s):
      Your Senators

      Below is the sample letter:

      Subject: Vote "No" to the Peru FTA!

      Dear [decision maker name automatically inserted here],

      I am writing to urge you to vote against the U.S.-Peru Free Trade
      Agreement.

      The mismanaged trade policies of the United States have severely
      damaged our nation's competitiveness. Our trade policy has
      contributed to massive job loss in our manufacturing sector,
      stagnant, or in many cases, falling wages for workers, and a
      staggering trade deficit which has led to unsustainable borrowing
      from the rest of the world. The benefits of this policy have been
      concentrated among those at the top of the income and wealth ladder,
      while the costs have been paid by workers.

      This situation does not call for simply reforming the provisions in
      trade agreements. It calls for putting in place policies to ensure
      that the benefits of expanding trade are broadly shared.

      The Peru Agreement does not represent the kind of comprehensive
      policy we need to ensure that the benefits of trade are broadly
      shared. While there are improvements compared to past trade
      agreements, they do not go far enough, and there are real concerns
      about how the improved labor standards obligations will be enforced.

      It is also important to note that the labor movement in Peru is
      opposed to the agreement. Other concerns include procurement
      provisions that prohibit governments from requiring that domestic
      workers provide services or produce goods and unbalanced investment
      provisions which grant corporations the right to challenge the
      legitimate actions of elected national governments.

      Please vote NO on the Peru Agreement, and insist that before further
      trade liberalization occurs, domestic and international policy be
      reformed to ensure that expanding trade benefits all and not just the
      wealthy few.

      Sincerely,

      James M nordlund

      Take Action!
      Instructions:
      Click here to take action on this issue or choose the "Reply to
      Sender" option on your email program.

      Tell-A-Friend:
      Visit the web address below to tell your friends about this.
      Tell-a-Friend!

      What's At Stake:

      Campaign Expiration Date:
      January 2, 2008

      If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for UNITE
      HERE e-Activism.