RESULTS: TAKE Action! Critical XDR-TB Materials to Get to Your Local Paper

  • james m nordlund
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2007
      TAKE Action! Critical XDR-TB Materials to Get to Your Local Paper

      Hello Global Health Activists,

      We've all seen the story about XDR-TB on the news over the past week,
      and as we often see with the media, most of the story has focused on
      one individual instead of the larger issue. Attached to this email
      is the rest of the XDR-TB story to share with your news media in the
      form of an editorial packet. XDR-TB Editorial Packet.

      Here's what you do:

      1. Identify your local media through our website tool (see link
      below). Just click on your state or type in your zip code. You will
      get a list of media in your area.

      http://capwiz.com/results/dbq/media/

      2. Click on the paper of your choice from your local area and
      identify the editorial editor or anyone on the editorial board and
      click on his or her name (you can also look for health writers).

      3. Copy the email address and send them an email with the editorial
      packet and the message:

      "The XDR-TB story from this past week is only a symptom of a much
      greater problem. Please consider writing an editorial and/or news
      story using the attached information. I also want to let you know
      about the following upcoming events:

      On Monday, June 4, the World Health Organization and the Stop TB
      Department will release a 2007-2008 XDR, MDR Tuberculosis Global
      Response Plan. RESULTS Educational Fund will host a media call
      featuring WHO and other international TB experts, including Dr. Mario
      Raviglione, Director of the Stop TB Department at the WHO, and Dr.
      Paul Nunn, Coordinator of the WHO team in the Stop TB Department
      concerned with TB and HIV, anti-TB drug resistance (including XDR-
      TB), and community-based TB care.

      On Tuesday, June 5, Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH) will be introducing
      the domestic TB bill (Comprehensive Tuberculosis Elimination Act of
      2007) in the Senate. The event will take place at 11am in the Upper
      Senate Park, across from the Russell Senate Office Building. "

      I will also be sending out an action alert soon that you can use to
      request that your members of Congress cosponsor critical tuberculosis
      legislation. Thank you in advance for your action!

      Ken Patterson

      Global Grassroots Manager, RESULTS