American Friends Service Committee: Commemorating 3000 US military deaths in Ira

  • realitee1
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2007
      Commemorating 3,000 U.S. military deaths in Iraq
      Dear James M,

      I'm sorry to announce that 3,000 U.S. service members have died in
      Iraq.

      Every life counts, whether it's one of 3,000 U.S military deaths or
      one of the 500,000+ Iraqi deaths estimated by the Johns Hopkins/MIT
      study. So, while the 3,000th death is no more or less important than
      the 2,999th or the 3001st, it is only natural to pause and think
      about the human cost of war when we reach such a grim milestone.

      But we cannot give into despair. There is hope for peace in Iraq --
      and together we can turn our hopes into a change for the better.

      Please join with thousands of people across the country in a memorial
      vigil or other event tomorrow to commemorate those lost and call for
      peace in Iraq. A calendar of "Not One More Death, Not One More
      Dollar" memorial events is on our web site at www.afsc.org/3000 to
      help you find or list an event near you.

      Most events will be held tomorrow, New Years Day, but some will be
      held on other days due to local preference. See the web site at
      www.afsc.org/3000 to check the time of the event near you or to list
      an event that you have organized.

      If you have a moment to print out resources before you head to your
      event, you can find fliers, posters, ideas, and petitions at
      www.afsc.org/3000/resources.htm.

      Check the "Not One More Death, Not One More Dollar" web site again in
      the next few days to see reports from events around the country.

      Thank you for standing for peace, for keeping hope for Iraq, and for
      your ongoing commitment and support. I deeply appreciate it!

      Wishing for peace in the new year,

      Peter Lems
      For AFSC's Wage Peace Campaign

      Forward this message to your friends.

      American Friends Service Committee
      1501 Cherry Street Philadelphia, PA 19102
      http://www.afsc.org/