'We Have a Haditha Every Day' -- TAKE ACTION!

  • james m nordlund
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2006

      If you are having trouble viewing this message, please click here.

      Please forward widely!
      'We Have a Haditha Every Day'

      As horrible as the November 2005 massacre in Haditha was, it appears
      to be the tip of the iceberg. Today's news brings reports of another
      alleged mass killing of civilians by U.S. troops in Iraq, including
      a 6-month-old baby, last March.

      While the details of that incident remain murky, the story of
      Haditha has now been told in chilling detail by numerous respected
      sources. In a several-hour-long rampage, a group of U.S. Marines
      shot 24 Iraqi civilians execution-style, at close range -- among
      them a 77-year-old amputee confined to a wheelchair and seven
      children ranging in age from 1 to 15. A 41-year-old woman was killed
      while trying to shield the youngest baby with her body.

      U.S. soldiers shot these innocent people. But ultimately, it was
      U.S. policy that killed them. We need to be sure that all of those
      responsible for these deaths are held accountable -- not just the
      individual Marines who snapped and committed terrible atrocities,
      but every politician from Congress to the White House who has
      supported this indefensible war.

      TAKE ACTION

      We need to keep the public dialogue going about Haditha, the war,
      and political accountability. We encourage you to call into the talk
      shows on your local radio stations and to write letters to the
      editors of your local newspapers. (Click here to find contact
      information for your local media outlets.)

      http://www.congress.org/congressorg/dbq/media/

      See our talking points for more detailed ideas about how to frame
      the issue.

      http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=3284

      We must also bring the truth of this tragedy home to our
      communities. The Iraqi victims of this war have too often been
      faceless, nameless, invisible. With the Haditha massacre, we know
      the names and ages of the 24 victims, and we know how they died:
      Presenting this publicly is a powerful way to dramatize the horrors
      of this war.

      We have posted a list of the names, ages, and genders of the Haditha
      victims, as well as individual posters you can download representing
      each of the 24, on our website. We encourage you to hold public
      events in your community using this information.

      Some ideas:

      Have 24 people stand vigil in a high-profile location, each holding
      a sign with details about one of the Haditha victims. To make the
      event especially powerful, try to find people whose ages correspond
      with those who were killed.
      You can highlight the number of deaths by holding a 24-minute or 24-
      hour vigil in your community.
      If you already hold a weekly vigil, you can re-frame your next
      gathering along these lines. If you don't have a regular vigil in
      your community yet, this is an occasion to start one. To be most
      effective, events should be held sometime during this coming week.

      Make sure to post your event on our website calendar, and let your
      local media know that it is happening. A sample press release will
      soon be available on our website.
      Whatever you do, please send reports of your events to
      grassroots@....
      Some will ask why we are focusing so specifically on these deaths,
      when so many thousands of others have needlessly died, including
      nearly 2,500 U.S. soldiers.

      The reason is this: This war is wrong not just because U.S. soldiers
      are dying, or because the Bush Administration lied to us, or even
      because we so desperately need the close to $300 billion spent on
      the war to rebuild the Gulf Coast and to address the rest of our
      country's neglected needs.

      We need to end the war now, because we are killing innocent human
      beings every single day. Every day that we keep our soldiers in
      Iraq, we are putting them in atrocity-producing situations. Though
      U.S. Congressmember John Murtha called it "the worst rampage by
      service members in the Iraq war," Haditha, just like the My Lai
      massacre in Vietnam, isn't remarkable because of what happened there
      on November 19, 2005, but because it happens to be one of the few
      horrific incidents we've forced ourselves to look at.

      As Muhanned Jasim, an Iraqi merchant, quoted by Molly Ivins in her
      June 1 column, said, "We have a Haditha every day."

      We must end the war in Iraq, and bring all the troops home -- NOW.