DIVERSEGRAD-L Digest - 31 Dec 2005 to 1 Jan 2006 (#2006-2)

  • james m nordlund
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2006
      There is one message totalling 250 lines in this issue.
      Topics of the day:

      1. Black-White interracial marriage
      Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 20:25:06 EST
      From: "Patricia A. Schafer" <Resrch46@...>
      Subject: Black-White interracial marriage

      I was just asked to state a precise question to help with responding
      to my =20
      previous request. As I stated in an earlier e-mail I am doing my
      dissertatio=
      n=20
      on Black and White interracial marriage. The focus is studying
      prejudice fr=
      om=20
      the perspective of each individual partner about their experiences.
      =20
      I need comments from others on their opinions of Black and White
      interracia=
      l=20
      marriages. I choose Black/White because most of the prejudice is
      directed=20
      towards this union where as other interracial marriages do not
      receive as m=
      uch=20
      negativity from society as a whole =20
      (Chito Childs, E. (2005). Navigating interracial borders. Black-
      white=20
      couples and their social worlds. New Jersey: Rutgers University
      Press.=20=
      =20
      Chito Childs, E. (2005). Looking behind the stereotypes of the
      =E2=80=9Cang=
      ry black=20
      woman.=E2=80=9D An exploration of Black Women=E2=80=99s responses
      to inter=
      racial=20
      relationships. Gender & Society, 19(4), 544-561.
      Rosenblatt, P.=
      C., Karis, T.=20
      A., & Powell, R. D. (1995). Multiracial couples: Black & White
      voices.=20
      Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.) =20
      Here is the question that may help some of you to be able to focus
      on what=20=
      I=20
      am looking for:=20
      Do you think someone of the Black race and some one of the White
      race shoul=
      d=20
      interrmarry? =20
      I need honest answers expressing your feelings for/against and why.
      For=20
      example, the research shows many believe for religious reasons the
      races sh=
      ould=20
      not mix (and others also believe it is okay); others state that
      White women=
      =20
      are taking away good Black men; others have stated that those who
      marry of=20
      another race are "selling out" (both Black and White). It's okay
      with me;=20=
      It's=20
      not okay with me.=20
      I do not need your name, but sex and gender are needed at this
      point. =20
      If you are in a Black and White relationship, what experiences have
      you had=
      =20
      from families, friends, etc.? Example: we get stared at a lot on
      public; =20
      or, It does not bother either of us - it is really the other
      person's prob=
      lem,=20
      etc. So, if you are in an interracial B/W relationship, I would
      need your=
      =20
      gender, age, race, how long married together and details of some of
      your=20
      experiences. I am looking for married couples because many
      families do not=
      take=20
      a dating relationships as serious as a married committment.=20
      Thank you,=20
      Pat Schafer=20

      End of DIVERSEGRAD-L Digest - 31 Dec 2005 to 1 Jan 2006 (#2006-2)