HEALTHGAP Digest - 30 Dec 2004 to 31 Dec 2004 (#2005-1)

  • james m nordlund
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2005
      There are 2 messages totalling 182 lines in this issue. Topics of
      the day:
      1. Prozac and Randall Tobias
      2. PEPFAR for Disasters
      Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:08:45 -0500
      From: Katharine Krauss <katie@...>
      Subject: Prozac and Randall Tobias

      Randall Tobias: Eli Lilly Chairman, President and CEO 1993-1999.

      Eli Lilly Said to Know of Prozac Risks

      Associated Press

      LONDON - A British medical journal said Friday that it had given U.S.
      regulators confidential drug company documents suggesting a link
      the popular anti-depressant Prozac and a heightened risk of suicide
      attempts and violence.

      The British Medical Journal reported in its Jan. 1 issue that
      documents it
      had received from an anonymous source indicated that Prozac's
      manufacturer, Eli Lilly & Co., was aware in the 1980s that the drug
      have potentially troubling side-effects.

      The journal said the documents, reportedly missing for a decade, had
      formed part of a 1994 lawsuit against Eli Lilly on behalf of victims
      of a
      workplace shooting in Louisville, Ky. The gunman who killed eight
      and himself in 1989, Joseph Wesbecker, had been prescribed Prozac a
      before the shootings.

      Eli Lilly won the case but later disclosed it had settled with the
      plaintiffs during the trial.

      The journal said one of the records, dated November 1988, reported
      fluoxetine, the generic name for Prozac, had caused "behavioral
      disturbances" in clinical trials.

      The journal said it had turned the documents over to the U.S. Food and
      Drug Administration, which had agreed to review them.

      The journal said the office of Congressman Maurice Hinchey, D-N.Y.,
      was examining the documents to determine whether Eli Lilly had
      data from the public and the FDA.

      "This is an alarming study that should have been shared with the
      and the FDA from the get-go, not 16 years later," Hinchey was quoted

      In a statement to the journal, Eli Lilly said Prozac "has helped to
      significantly improve millions of lives."

      "It is one of the most studied drugs in the history of medicine and
      been prescribed for more than 50 million people worldwide. The safety
      efficacy of Prozac is well studied, well documented and well

      In October, FDA ordered that all antidepressants carry warnings that
      "increase the risk of suicidal thinking and behavior" in children.

      On the Net:

      British Medical Journal article:

      Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:44:56 -0800
      From: AGUA BUENA <rastern@...>
      Subject: Re: PEPFAR for Disasters

      I agree that only the UN has the "moral authority," but, sad to say,
      pouring money into the UN has its own drawbacks. I wonder if their
      staff who are flying to the disaster areas are required to fly first
      class as is the case with WHO staff who fly for more than six hours.

      But although the above is a trivial example, the UN bureacracy is
      hardly a model of efficient use of available resources, at least from
      my experience in developing countries that I have visited.

      I heard Clare Short's dramatic and impactful speeches at UNGASS, and
      never heard a word from her about the lack of UNGASS follow-up, which
      her boss, Dr. Annan has obviously never made a priority...I would be
      interesting in hearing her comments about UNGASS, more than three

      Sound familiar?

      Bush 'Undermining UN with Aid Coalition'

      By Jamie Lyons, PA Political Correspondent

      United States President George Bush was tonight accused of trying to
      undermine the United Nations by setting up a rival coalition to
      coordinate relief following the Asian tsunami disaster.

      The president has announced that the US, Japan, India and Australia
      would coordinate the world's response.

      But former International Development Secretary Clare Short said that
      role should be left to the UN.

      "I think this initiative from America to set up four countries
      to coordinate sounds like yet another attempt to undermine the UN when
      it is the best system we have got and the one that needs building up,"
      she said.

      "Only really the UN can do that job," she told BBC Radio Four's PM

      "It is the only body that has the moral authority. But it can only do
      well if it is backed up by the authority of the great powers."

      Ms Short said the coalition countries did not have good records on
      responding to international disasters.

      She said the US was "very bad at coordinating with anyone" and India
      its own problems to deal with.

      "I don't know what that is about but it sounds very much, I am afraid,
      like the US trying to have a separate operation and not work with the
      rest of the world through the UN system," she added.

      NOTE: If an email bounces back to you from GMHC, please copy email to
      personal account at gregggonsalves@...
      <mailto:gregggonsalves@...> .

      Gregg Gonsalves

      Director of Treatment and Prevention Advocacy

      Gay Men's Health Crisis

      119 West 24th Street

      New York, NY 10011

      Phone: 212-367-1169

      Mobile: 646-250-8130

      Fax: 212-367-1235

      Email: greggg@... <mailto:greggg@...> or
      gregggonsalves@... <mailto:gregggonsalves@...>
      End of HEALTHGAP Digest - 30 Dec 2004 to 31 Dec 2004 (#2005-1)