Ralph Nader Alerts: My thoughts on the debate, etc..

  • james m nordlund
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2004
      My thoughts on the debate
      From: "Ralph Nader" <naderteam@...>
      Dear James,

      Hear My Post-Debate Analysis, Part One

      Hear My Post-Debate Analysis, Part Two

      Like most of you, I've just finished watching the parallel interviews
      called the Presidential debates between Bush and Kerry. And I'd like
      to share a few comments briefly with you. First of all, neither have
      an exit strategy for the war in Iraq and both of them say we're going
      to win the war in Iraq—which means an endless occupation, which
      breeds resistance, and which does not cut the bottom out of the
      insurgency, because mainstream Iraqis are given no light at the end
      of the tunnel that they're going to get their country back with a set
      schedule under a US military and corporate (i.e. oil company)
      withdrawal from their nation.

      Eisenhower, when he was running for president in 1952, promised the
      American people that he would get us out of the Korean War. It was a
      harder war to get out of because behind North Korea was Communist
      China and the Soviet Union, but he got us out of the Korean War.
      These two gentlemen can't even get us out of this quagmire war that
      we were plunged into, unconstitutionally, on a platform of
      fabrications, lies, and deception—and, one might add, against the
      better judgment of retired diplomatic, military, and intelligence

      Other points on the debates, Bush said it was going to be an all-
      volunteer army; he didn't quite say he was opposed to the military
      draft, but he moved a little closer to that. Bush still promotes
      this total boondoggle, un-workable missile defense system. 'Star
      Wars' has been condemned as unworkable by the leading physicists in
      the United States, many of them consultants to the Pentagon, but that
      doesn't stop Bush from spending ten billion dollars a year on that

      Kerry seems to be much stronger on the non-proliferation of nuclear
      materials issue, especially from former countries of the Soviet Union.

      Both of them were very weak on Darfur and the Southern Sudan and the
      genocide that's going on there. They expressed sympathy and
      mentioned something obliquely about the African Union, but really
      indicated they had no plans to support the African Union with the
      necessary means to preserve those people from further slaughter.

      All in all, I think the people got a longer look at John Kerry than
      they ever have. They're used to George W. Bush. I would say that
      within the narrow confines of the so-called debates there was the
      edge to Kerry over Bush. However, having said that, Jim Lehrer
      really narrowed the range of subjects to the debate. We didn't hear
      anything about the Israel/Palestine conflict; we didn't hear anything
      about global arms control in the broader sense; we didn't hear
      anything about the global trade treaties—WTO and NAFTA—nor did we
      hear anything about the need to do something about the military
      budget of the Pentagon, which is so wasteful.

      So, the Nader/Camejo ticket remains the only one that was against the
      war—before it started, during, and after—and wants to bring the
      troops back home, stop the endless occupation and proliferation of
      violence in that area, and indeed reflects the growing majority of
      American people who want us out of there and who now think that
      sending troops there was a mistake.

      So we want to continue spreading this effort of waging peace,
      muscularly, robustly to avert conflict and of putting the best foot
      forward in the United States, so it can become a humanitarian super

      We again welcome your volunteer support, your signing up on our email
      list, your generous contributions.

      Thank you, again.

      Please, share this email with friends and family interested in making
      real debates a priority in our Presidential elections.

      Contributions are not tax deductible.

      Paid for by Nader for President 2004
      General Election Committee
      P.O. Box 18002—Washington, DC 20036

      Message from Coral Gables
      From: "Ralph Nader" <naderteam@...>
      Dear James,

      Audio message from Ralph in Coral Gables.

      We're down at the University of Miami, trying to get close to the
      presidential debates, or as one commentator said, "the Presidential
      charade," where the two parties are engaging in very scripted and
      less than exciting exchange and excluding many of the areas of
      foreign policy.

      We have ten areas of major foreign military policy in this country
      that are not going to be debated tonight and we're giving interviews
      to press here and providing a voice to the 57 percent of the American
      people that a new Zogby poll says want Ralph Nader and Peter Miguel
      Camejo in the Presidential and Vice Presidential debates.

      We want to have your help. You are our inspiration. We're doing this
      for your concerns about the future of our country and the world and
      the future of your children and grandchildren. Please contribute as
      much as you can, as soon as you can.

      Thank you. You are our inspiration.

      Contributions are not tax deductible.

      TONIGHT (Sep. 30) 7pm (EDT): Ralph on CNN's Anderson Cooper 360º
      (check listings)

      Please, share this email with friends and family interested in making
      real debates a priority in our Presidential elections.

      Paid for by Nader for President 2004 General Election Committee
      202.265.4000 — P.O. Box 18002,Washington, DC 20036

      Corporate Crimebuster Van Schedule
      Dear Volunteers,

      I apologize for the confusion I am causing, but here
      is another change in the van tour schedule.

      The crew must travel to Kansas from Washington DC.
      They needed to replace one of the crew members and are
      now on their way. Their first stop will be in Wichita
      on or about 10/2. They will then be traveling
      northward throughout the state.

      Please be thinking about local issues that the crew
      will be speaking to the media about. If you have
      volunteered to be a local coordinator, I, or the van
      crew will be contacting you prior to hitting your

      Thanks for your patience and support!

      Michael Bittinger
      Kansas Coordinator
      Nader/Camejo 2004