fwd: Martín-Baró Fund job opening (Mental Health)

  • james m nordlund
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2004
      Subject: MBF Job Posting
      Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 09:28:20 -0400
      From: Brinton Lykes <lykes@...>
      Friends,

      As I think most of you know we have been
      coordinating the Ignacio Martín-Baró Fund for
      Mental Health and Human Rights as a volunteer
      organization for nearly 15 years. We are making
      a momentous shift, hoping to strengthen our
      volunteer resources, increase our capacity,
      strengthen our educational and political
      organizing activities, and sustain our developing
      partnerships with groups that we have been
      supporting through hiring a full-time Fund
      Coordinator - see below and attached. We think
      that the best way to find someone is through our
      networks of friends and colleagues and for that
      reason I am writing to you. You can see our
      desired skills below - fundamentally we want
      someone with at least 3 years and preferably 5
      years experience in a similar set of activities
      and who is bilingual (English-Spanish) as well as
      a commitment to the Fund and its mission. We
      don't expect to be able to find someone with
      extensive fundraising experience but hope that
      the person has done some. We aren't in a position
      to afford a full-time fundraiser and also think
      we need someone who will be more of an
      organizer/program coordinator for this transition
      process. We continue to be able to sustain a
      group of hardy volunteers (between 12 and 15 at
      most times) but need some more sustained "work"
      to increase our capacity.

      So please help us out by sharing this information
      with folks you know who might be interested and
      with your networks. I can answer any questions
      folks might have but our www site
      (http://www.martinbarofund.org) also has
      extensive information - in spanish and english -
      about our work. For the time being we are
      assuming that the person will be based in Boston.

      Thanks much for your help in passing this along
      to folks who might be interested,

      Warm wishes,

      Brinton

      M. Brinton Lykes, Ph.D.
      Associate Dean
      Professor of Community/Social Psychology
      Boston College - Lynch School of Education
      Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
      Tel: 617-552-4202 or 552-0670
      Fax: 617-552-0812
      Email: lykes@...

      Job Posting - Fund Coordinator

      The Ignacio Martín-Baró Fund for Mental Health
      and Human Rights was created to support
      grassroots community-based efforts that foster
      psychological well-being, social consciousness,
      and active resistance in communities affected by
      institutional violence, repression, and social
      injustice. In the belief that the scars of such
      experiences are deeply seated in both the
      individual and society, the Fund seeks to support
      projects that explore the power of community to
      collectively respond to the effects of violence
      and to strategize towards change. Through grants,
      networking, and technical support, the Fund seeks
      to encourage the development of innovative
      grassroots community projects that promote
      progressive social change and community mental
      health.

      As the staff person for the organization, the
      Fund Coordinator will work with the MBF
      ?all-volunteer Program Committee and its
      sub-committees.

      Primary Responsibilities:
      - Administer Grant-making Program of the Fund
      - Coordinate ongoing relations with Grantees
      - Support Sub-Committees of the Program
      Committee, including Grant-making Sub-Committee,
      Newsletter editors, Event Sub-Committee, etc.
      - Develop Fundraising plan and work with
      Fundraising Sub-Committee to implement
      - Administer and Maintain Office, including
      developing and coordinating a volunteer program

      Required and Desired Skills and Characteristics:
      - Understanding of and commitment to the Mission of the Fund
      - Experience in Program Administration,
      Fundraising, and Office Administration
      - Excellent written and oral communications skills
      - Self-motivated and able to take initiative
      - Ability to work independently and collaboratively
      - Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
      - Ability to work effectively within provided
      deadlines/timelines
      - Spanish-English bilingualism

      The Fund Coordinator is a full-time contract
      position with the possibility of health benefits.
      Salary is commensurate with experience. This is
      a one-year renewable position. Attendance at
      monthly, evening Program Committee meetings is
      required.

      To apply please send letter of interest, resume,
      writing sample, and contact information for at
      least three (3) references to: Attention: Hiring
      Committee, Ignacio Martín-Baró Fund, Post Office
      Box 2122, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130 OR email them
      to opportunities@.... To learn
      more about the Fund, view our website at
      www.martinbarofund.org. Interviews will begin
      July 1, 2004 and will continue until the position
      is filled. Expected start date: September 1,
      2004.

      M. Brinton Lykes, Ph.D.
      Associate Dean and Professor of Community/Social Psychology
      Lynch School of Education
      Campion 201C
      Boston College
      Chestnut Hill, MA 02467