Block Detector (was Digitrax Throttle Redesign)

  • Christopher Zurek
    Message 1 of 107 , May 23, 2013
      I'm not a big fan of the Digitrax BDL block detectors because they use diode drop detection. This causes a voltage drop in the blocks being detected. I used them on a demonstration layout I built in the past.

      I'm looking at using detection that has current detection coils. No voltage drop.

      Chris Z.

      Message 107 of 107 , May 23, 2013
        If you feed the non-detected zones through a similar diode-drop arrangement (handful of cents for a few diodes arranged back-to-back), then there is no change in track voltage as you drive into detection zones.

        Alternatively, if you want current measuring coils, suggest looking at the devices LocoIO and Current Detection modules available in kit form from Hans De Loof. They are available through a model shop in Holland/Belgium (can't remember which). They talk LocoNet, so integrate easily with other LocoNet/Digitrax kit.

        I use Hans De Loof LocoIO boards, but my current detection coils come from the MERG DTC-8 kit. That pairing works together extremely well, with the DTC-8 circuits powered by the 5v DC available from the LocoIO.

        - Nigel