Re: [Digitrax] Next Generation DCS wish list

  • William Babcock
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 1, 2007
      Robert Doss <hoborob@...> wrote:
      To quote Yogi Berra (I think) "It's like deja vu all over again"
      Didn't we just finish this thread?
      Bill (Chicago area)

      I am starting this thread with the presumption that the good folks at
      Digitrax may be interested in hearing from the current users what
      capabilities they may desire to see in the next DCS command station
      that may or may not be in the works. (snip)

    • Phil Euper
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 1, 2007
        And a real full Duplex communication scheme would be nice too! :>)

        Regards

        Phil Euper in SC

        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 1, 2007
          On 31-Jul-07, at 6:26 PM, Robert Doss wrote:

          > I am starting this thread with the presumption that the good folks at
          > Digitrax may be interested in hearing from the current users what
          > capabilities they may desire to see in the next DCS command station
          > that may or may not be in the works. I will not look for an output
          > current level as that is a function of the booster attached to the
          > command station and not a function of the command station itself.
          >
          > For my list I will start with the following.

          And my list is relatively small too, since the current DCS100 is a good
          unit:

          1) I'll echo the desire for a USB port so we can directly interface a
          computer into the unit. Whether it's a built-in Locobuffer or a more
          direct control is fine by me.

          2) More current available on the Loconet ports. Every year (coming up
          in less than three weeks in fact for 2007), the Calgary Free-mo group
          puts on a very large layout in Big Valley, Alberta called Alberta
          Free-mo. Despite the fact we're now garnering participation from
          modules outside the province it's quickly becoming a very large layout.
          We're anticipating over 500 feet worth of benchwork at the show, all
          run by a single DCS100, with a whole schwack of boosters. The output
          from the DCS100 loconet ports, across all those module joints and UP5's
          is a struggle to maintain throttle connections when the power level
          drops too much due to all the electronics on the loconet (DS64's,
          SE8C's, UP5's by the dozens with their attendant throttles, and it's a
          big challenge to power them all and maintain signal.

          3) We can always use more locomotive slots. A lot of us are MU'ing at
          least three locomotives together and on a big layout, that's
          translating into some challenges with people not dispatching their
          equipment.

          I'm sure there are more thoughts on this but...that's all for now.

          Jon
        • Jeff Warner
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 1, 2007
            Jon/all:

            1) I don't see the big deal here... The Locobuffer works perfectly
            well. The fact that it's an add on, not part of the command station is
            a good thing to me -- the computer doesn't have to be physically located
            next to the command station this way...and you can add multiple
            Locobuffer's/MS-100's to a Chief for multiple computer connections...
            Why replace something that works great?

            2) See message 117167 -- an in-line amplifier for the Loconet was
            announced at the National convention. Should help solve that problem.

            3) BINGO -- this is the big issue. More slots are desperately needed
            by larger layouts and clubs.

            4) I'd like to see the ability added to control an advanced consist,
            and its functions, from the lead (top) address. That means you don't
            have to use a 2 digit address to operate an advanced consist.

            Jeff Warner

            Jon Calon wrote:

            > On 31-Jul-07, at 6:26 PM, Robert Doss wrote:
            >
            > > I am starting this thread with the presumption that the good folks at
            > > Digitrax may be interested in hearing from the current users what
            > > capabilities they may desire to see in the next DCS command station
            > > that may or may not be in the works. I will not look for an output
            > > current level as that is a function of the booster attached to the
            > > command station and not a function of the command station itself.
            > >
            > > For my list I will start with the following.
            >
            > And my list is relatively small too, since the current DCS100 is a good
            > unit:
            >
            > 1) I'll echo the desire for a USB port so we can directly interface a
            > computer into the unit. Whether it's a built-in Locobuffer or a more
            > direct control is fine by me.
            >
            > 2) More current available on the Loconet ports. Every year (coming up
            > in less than three weeks in fact for 2007), the Calgary Free-mo group
            > puts on a very large layout in Big Valley, Alberta called Alberta
            > Free-mo. Despite the fact we're now garnering participation from
            > modules outside the province it's quickly becoming a very large layout.
            > We're anticipating over 500 feet worth of benchwork at the show, all
            > run by a single DCS100, with a whole schwack of boosters. The output
            > from the DCS100 loconet ports, across all those module joints and UP5's
            > is a struggle to maintain throttle connections when the power level
            > drops too much due to all the electronics on the loconet (DS64's,
            > SE8C's, UP5's by the dozens with their attendant throttles, and it's a
            > big challenge to power them all and maintain signal.
            >
            > 3) We can always use more locomotive slots. A lot of us are MU'ing at
            > least three locomotives together and on a big layout, that's
            > translating into some challenges with people not dispatching their
            > equipment.
            >
            > I'm sure there are more thoughts on this but...that's all for now.
            >
            > Jon

          • Roland Levin
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 1, 2007
              I would like to operate a consist from any of the addresses in the consist.
              I could then choose the first engine in the direction of travel and control
              both speed, light and other functions for that engine. I would have the same
              possibilities if I use the consist in the opposite direction.

              An other advantage is that you don't have to remember which the top address
              is.

              All the addresses would be shown as part of a consist and free or occupied

              Roland Levin
              Stockholm, Sweden
              http://hem.bredband.net/drgw/

              Jeff Warner wrote:

              4) I'd like to see the ability added to control an advanced consist,
              and its functions, from the lead (top) address. That means you don't
              have to use a 2 digit address to operate an advanced consist.

              .

              <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=806/grpspId=1705063576/msgId=117
              241/stime=1185985340/nc1=3848627/nc2=3848446/nc3=4776347>

            • Joel Maye
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 2, 2007
                All these issues/wishes would invariably have A. J. catering to the
                exceptions and not the far greater majority of users. Even the slot
                numbers is an issue seen mostly by large clubs.

                Not to mention that these upgrades would drive up the price, what,
                10%, 15%, 20% or more?

                --- In Digitrax@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Warner <jeffrywarner@...> wrote:

                > Jon/all:
                >
                > 1) I don't see the big deal here... The Locobuffer works perfectly
                > well. The fact that it's an add on, not part of the command station is
                > a good thing to me -- the computer doesn't have to be physically
                located
                > next to the command station this way...and you can add multiple
                > Locobuffer's/MS-100's to a Chief for multiple computer connections...
                > Why replace something that works great?
                >
                > 2) See message 117167 -- an in-line amplifier for the Loconet was
                > announced at the National convention. Should help solve that problem.
                >
                > 3) BINGO -- this is the big issue. More slots are desperately needed
                > by larger layouts and clubs.
                >
                > 4) I'd like to see the ability added to control an advanced consist,
                > and its functions, from the lead (top) address. That means you don't
                > have to use a 2 digit address to operate an advanced consist.
                >
                > Jeff Warner

              • William Babcock
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 2, 2007
                  As numbers 3 and 4 seem to go together and as Joel says they tend to be larger club issues why not make this an add-on to keep the price down for the rest of us?

                  Joel Maye <jsmaye@...> wrote: All these issues/wishes would invariably have A. J. catering to the
                  exceptions and not the far greater majority of users. Even the slot
                  numbers is an issue seen mostly by large clubs.

                  Not to mention that these upgrades would drive up the price, what,
                  10%, 15%, 20% or more?

                  --- In Digitrax@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Warner <jeffrywarner@...> wrote:

                  > Jon/all:
                  >
                  > 1) I don't see the big deal here... The Locobuffer works perfectly
                  > well. The fact that it's an add on, not part of the command station is
                  > a good thing to me -- the computer doesn't have to be physically
                  located
                  > next to the command station this way...and you can add multiple
                  > Locobuffer's/MS-100's to a Chief for multiple computer connections...
                  > Why replace something that works great?
                  >
                  > 2) See message 117167 -- an in-line amplifier for the Loconet was
                  > announced at the National convention. Should help solve that problem.
                  >
                  > 3) BINGO -- this is the big issue. More slots are desperately needed
                  > by larger layouts and clubs.
                  >
                  > 4) I'd like to see the ability added to control an advanced consist,
                  > and its functions, from the lead (top) address. That means you don't
                  > have to use a 2 digit address to operate an advanced consist.
                  >
                  > Jeff Warner

                • Roland Levin
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 2, 2007
                    I would like to operate a consist from any of the addresses in the
                    consist. I could then choose the first engine in the direction of
                    travel and control both speed, light and other functions for that
                    engine. I would have the same possibilities if I use the consist in
                    the opposite direction.

                    An other advantage is that you don't have to remember what the top

                    Jeff Warner wrote:

                    4) I'd like to see the ability added to control an advanced consist,
                    and its functions, from the lead (top) address. That means you don't
                    have to use a 2 digit address to operate an advanced consist.
                  • Martin Myers
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 2, 2007
                      > All these issues/wishes would invariably have A. J. catering to the
                      > exceptions and not the far greater majority of users. Even the slot
                      > numbers is an issue seen mostly by large clubs.
                      >
                      > Not to mention that these upgrades would drive up the price, what,
                      > 10%, 15%, 20% or more?

                      Price may not be an issue. New components with more capabilities
                      replace obsolete components all the time. Usually at the same or lower
                      cost.
                      e.g. I'm paying a lot less for DN163 decoders than I did for DN93's.

                      Martin Myers
                    • jngeddes
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 2, 2007
                        At the risk of repeating myself from the last thread on this topic, my vote is 100% for ease
                        of use features. What do I mean by "ease-of-use" features? The type of performance and
                        operation that would make this forum unnecessary for the vast majority of users.

                        The last time I brought up my list of possible improvements I was directed to an number
                        of very useful resources that I agree will likely address some/many of my concerns. My
                        point is that the majority of model railroaders are not computer whizs nor do they want to
                        become one.

                        The next generation of Digitrax gear should be much more friendly for the average
                        modeller and then we will have a significant new number of DCC users. DCC has so many
                        advantages to model railroading, I am hoping that more people will be able to make the
                        switch.

                        Cheers,
                        John Geddes
                        Vancouver, BC

                        --- In Digitrax@yahoogroups.com, "Roland Levin" <roland.levin@...> wrote:

                        > I would like to operate a consist from any of the addresses in the
                        > consist. I could then choose the first engine in the direction of
                        > travel and control both speed, light and other functions for that
                        > engine. I would have the same possibilities if I use the consist in
                        > the opposite direction.
                        >
                        > An other advantage is that you don't have to remember what the top
                        > address is.
                        >
                        > All the addresses would be shown as part of a consist and free or
                        > occupied
                        >
                        > Roland Levin
                        > Stockholm, Sweden
                        > http://hem.bredband.net/drgw/

                        > Jeff Warner wrote:
                        >
                        > 4) I'd like to see the ability added to control an advanced consist,
                        > and its functions, from the lead (top) address. That means you don't
                        > have to use a 2 digit address to operate an advanced consist.

                      • bradmeers
                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 3, 2007
                          I have been reading this list and have to add my two cents.
                          I would like to see lighting functions that can be operated like the
                          prototype. No master on off switch, front headlight that dont dim when
                          the loco reverses, independent dimming. I can back my engine up and
                          leave the headlights and ditch lights at bright or dim them if I want
                          While the rear headlight is bright or dim. Also a full range of
                          remapping. As an engineer I think the lighting functions bring the
                          most realism to models. And with that easier function programming.
                        • Ross Kudlick
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 3, 2007
                            For lighting check out the TCS decoders � dimming is much more prototypical
                            than Digitrax.

                            Function �Re-Mapping� is per the NMRA RPs � not a function of the
                            manufacturer or command station.

                            Ross

                            _____

                            I have been reading this list and have to add my two cents.
                            I would like to see lighting functions that can be operated like the
                            prototype. No master on off switch, front headlight that dont dim when
                            the loco reverses, independent dimming. I can back my engine up and
                            leave the headlights and ditch lights at bright or dim them if I want
                            While the rear headlight is bright or dim. Also a full range of
                            remapping. As an engineer I think the lighting functions bring the
                            most realism to models. And with that easier function programming.

                            Checked by AVG.
                            2:22 PM

                          • digilox1
                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 3, 2007
                              Ross,

                              NMRA function mapping is an old hat. ESU and ZIMO go way beyond the
                              mapping possibilities of CVs 33-46.

                              Regards,
                              Manfred

                              --- In Digitrax@yahoogroups.com, "Ross Kudlick" <ross.kudlick@...>
                              wrote:

                              > For lighting check out the TCS decoders – dimming is much more
                              prototypical
                              > than Digitrax.
                              >

                              > Function "Re-Mapping" is per the NMRA RPs – not a function of the
                              > manufacturer or command station.
                              >

                              > Ross
                              >

                              > _____

                              Behalf
                              > Of bradmeers
                              > Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 6:12 PM
                              > To: Digitrax@yahoogroups.com
                              > Subject: [Digitrax] Re: Next Generation DCS wish list
                              >

                              > I have been reading this list and have to add my two cents.
                              > I would like to see lighting functions that can be operated like the
                              > prototype. No master on off switch, front headlight that dont dim
                              when
                              > the loco reverses, independent dimming. I can back my engine up and
                              > leave the headlights and ditch lights at bright or dim them if I
                              want
                              > While the rear headlight is bright or dim. Also a full range of
                              > remapping. As an engineer I think the lighting functions bring the
                              > most realism to models. And with that easier function programming.

                              > Checked by AVG.
                              8/2/2007
                              > 2:22 PM

                            • PTurvill
                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 3, 2007
                                All very nice, but these are *decoder* features, and have little to do
                                with the Command Station. There are a number of decoders already
                                available that allow you to program them to do just about everything on
                                your list.

                              • Cact25@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 5, 2007
                                  This is my only important wish!

                                  Jim

                                  In a message dated 7/31/2007 5:28:36 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                                  hoborob@... writes:

                                  1: The capability of controlling all addresses from 1 up to and
                                  including 9999 as 4 digit address and or 1 to 127 as a 2 digit
                                  address rather than the current system which requires 1 - 127 as a 2
                                  digit address only.

                                • James Franklin Higbee III
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 5, 2007
                                    How about a (recessed?) button on the command station to "clear all slots"
                                    so that after an operating session you don't have to spend a half hour
                                    searching out all the locos that no one "dispatched"? Or another half hour
                                    searching for the manual and re-learning how to do the same with a throttle?
                                    -Jim Higbee
                                  • Jon Miller
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 5, 2007
                                      >How about a (recessed?) button on the command station to "clear all slots"
                                      so that after an operating session you don't have to spend a half hour
                                      searching out all the locos that no one "dispatched"?<

                                      JMRI has a command station pane that can accomplish this with one push
                                      of the button. It's under LocoNet, configure command station.

                                      Jon Miller
                                      AT&SF
                                      For me time has stopped in 1941
                                      NMRA Life member #2623
                                      Member SFRH&MS
                                    • Ross Kudlick
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Aug 6, 2007
                                        Jim,

                                        Close Op Sw 36. If you are using a DT400 it takes just a few seconds!

                                        Ross

                                        _____

                                        How about a (recessed?) button on the command station to "clear all slots"
                                        so that after an operating session you don't have to spend a half hour
                                        searching out all the locos that no one "dispatched"-? Or another half hour
                                        searching for the manual and re-learning how to do the same with a throttle?
                                        -Jim Higbee

                                        Checked by AVG.
                                        4:53 PM

                                      • Robert Doss
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Aug 6, 2007
                                          While this is true John the OPSW36 clears out all consists as well. If
                                          you don't wish to do this just use the slot monitor screen and clear
                                          the slots that don't have a consist in them and you can cleanup the
                                          slot memory in just a few minutes. Another secret is to click on the
                                          Status selection and JMRI will then order the slots for viewing such
                                          that the dispatched slots come up on top (or bottom if you want) and
                                          you can then clear them one right after the other without even having
                                          to scroll through the list looking for the consisted slots.

                                        • PWhiteMR@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Aug 6, 2007
                                            If I may offer a couple of my suggestions:

                                            1. A DUPLEX radio controlled throttle - where I do not have to plug in to
                                            change assignments.

                                            When not having an operating session, I like to run a few engines around so
                                            I am constantly changing from one to another. It is a pain to plug in each
                                            time and reset those dinky switches on the UT4Rs.

                                            2 Built in re changeable battery in the throttles and a charging stand. Good
                                            grief! Cell phones have them for years plus a host of other electronic
                                            gizmoes. MRC now has one and they were late into the DCC market.

                                            3. More function buttons on the throttles instead of the Shift+ concept. Now
                                            that sound is hear, (pardon pun) this feature is needed for the basic sound
                                            functions..

                                            4. A volume control on the throttle for the loco plus decoders with a volume
                                            CV. How could NMRA DCC standard committee ever omit a CV for volume? (My
                                            wife would gladly buy such a throttle for me for Christmas!)

                                            5. A Decoder that smokes! No, no, not the fry type of smoke ... but a
                                            smoke, smoke decoder ... one that produces real, non stinky environment friendly
                                            smoke for the steamers. And a new CV to govern the color of the smoke ... in
                                            16 shades from black to nice white bellowing puffs. Eat your hearts out,
                                            diesel lovers.

                                            Peter White

                                          • bobgrosh
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Aug 9, 2007
                                              --- In Digitrax@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Doss" <hoborob@...> wrote:

                                              > I am starting this thread with the presumption that the good folks at
                                              > Digitrax may be interested in hearing from the current users what
                                              > capabilities they may desire to see in the next DCS command station
                                              > that may or may not be in the works. I will not look for an output
                                              > current level as that is a function of the booster attached to the
                                              > command station and not a function of the command station itself.

                                              I'd like a single RX1 Transponding receiver in the DCS.

                                              The reason? Well it would open up a lot of posibilities for Digitrax
                                              and Soundtrax decoders that are transponding enabled.

                                              The first such feature I'd like to see:
                                              (1) When any loco is placed on the tracks, it's transponding decoder
                                              could send it's address. Now, the DCS could put that address at the top
                                              of the list of recient addresses. A simple proceedure like double-
                                              clicking the address button would select that address. Imagine, place a
                                              loco on the track , double click the <ADD> button, turn the throttle
                                              knob to go. You woulden't even have to squint at the numbers on the
                                              side of the itty bitty loco.

                                              (2) I'd like a couple bytes in the slot table reserved for "aproching
                                              turnout number" this could be picked up by a reader attached to an
                                              input on the decoder, (IE one of the four inputs on the sfx064) and
                                              transponded back to the DCS. Imagine! you approch any thurnout, It's
                                              stationary address is transponded back. The address from the reader,
                                              which would also be the address of the turnout, could be displayed on
                                              the throttle. along with it's state. Double-click either "T" or "C" to
                                              throw or close the next turnout ahead of your loco, without having to
                                              squint at the turnout number on the itty bitty sign post. This could
                                              be used with any stationary address to operate all sorts of accessories
                                              without having to know the accessory stationary address.

                                              (3) I'd like 4 bytes in the slot table to maintain a cam counter. This
                                              would be updated via transponding to keep a count of wheel rotations.

                                              (4) I'd like 2 bytes in the slot table to keep a scaleing factor so the
                                              cam rotations could be converted to distance traveled. The scaling
                                              factor could be read from the decoder via transponding when the slot is
                                              assigned.

                                              (5) I'd like to be able to change a single function number when sent to
                                              the global address. For example, I configure all my SFXnn4 sound
                                              decoders (as well as phoenix and others) to use F11 to mute the sound.
                                              If I select loco 0 (the global address) and turn off F11 it will mute
                                              all sound cards at once. However, it also sets F9, F10 and F12 to
                                              whatever those values are currently set to for loco 0. Instead, I'd
                                              like any change made to a single function on the global address (0) to
                                              step through all the used slots in the slot table and change just the
                                              one bit (F11) This would also let you do such things as turn on all
                                              headlights by selecting loco 0 and turning on F0. This would be useful
                                              for a number of special "global" features. IE: assign F9 on all
                                              passenger coaches to operate the vistuable light. Now you can turn on
                                              or off all vistuable lights on all your trains. Not the most practical
                                              example, but you get the idea. Another practical use is with
                                              programable sound cards like the bug and SFX064. Assign a couple
                                              functions on all sound cards to play a couple radio messages complete
                                              with the squelch at the beginning and end of the sound. Now you can
                                              send a function to the glogal address and have the same radio cab
                                              chatter played on all sound cards at the same time. (All this is really
                                              just an expansion on the "Global Stop" function.)

                                              (6)Expand the slot table to include 64 functions.

                                              I'd like a plug in accessory slot for a bi-directional 802.11 cards.
                                              Also an 802.11 upgrade for throttles. Communications between the
                                              loconet and throttles, PC's and laptops would all be handled by 802.11.
                                              (OK, I know that last one is a tall order) Blue tooth would also be an
                                              alternative. ( Gee I could control it with my cell phone as a throttle )
                                            • Bruce Strickland
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Aug 9, 2007
                                                Hi All,

                                                I would like to turn off the "Steal" capability. Stealing has caused a lot of problems in our module group because some throttles (UT-x Throttles) have trouble dealing with the "slot following".

                                                Bruce Strickland
                                                Potomac Module Crew

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Aug 10, 2007
                                                  One additional thing I'd like in the next DCS would be the usage of a
                                                  non volatile memory for the OPSW settings and perhaps a RealTime
                                                  Clock that can have the alarm turned off as well.

                                                  --- In Digitrax@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Strickland