List of Free Apps & Ebooks

  • shellysanchez77
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2012
      Hi!

      Thank you so much for participating in the course. We have shared so much together and we want to encourage you to continue using digital storytelling in your classes. We are listing these in a livebinder, which is being constantly updated. Later on today you will find an evaluation form for the course. Please let us know how you have enjoyed the course so far.

      Here's a good list of ebooks and free mobile apps:

      Digital Storytelling Apps

      Posterous- With this app, learners can include a mix of text, photos, audio, and videos as well as tags and location information in a blog post. Share immediately on Facebook and Twitter! Even allow others to add to your posts (set this up through the web app vs. the mobile app). Free version available online as well as various mobile devices including the iPhone, iPod, Android, and Blackberry.
      Flixlab- Like Animoto. Free app to create incredible slideshows on the iPhone, iPod, iPad. Soon available on the Android. No website editing like Animoto but longer videos when using the app. CC library of music, themes, fonts, and more.
      StoryRobe- It's incredibly easy for children and adults to create audio/visual stories on the iPhone and iPod Touch using this app. Use the built in microphone, or any 3rd party microphone to create audio recordings with photos and videos. You have the option to upload to Youtube or send it through e-mail. If it's in their e-mail, then the parents can easily e-mail their child's production to their friends! You don't need an Internet connection to create the stories, but you do to send them! Available on the iPad and iPod.
      Splice- Best video editing app for the iPhone, iPod, and iPad that is free. Add audio, transitions, images, and more.
      Fotobabble- It's incredibly easy for children and adults to create audio/visual stories on the iPhone and iPod Touch using this app. Use the built in microphone, or any 3rd party microphone to create audio recordings with photos.
      Sock Puppets- If you enjoy playing with sock puppets, you'll love this app that allows students to create a sock puppet show. Choose the sock puppet characters, personalize the characters by adding your voice, select the scene and props, and record a video. Send this by email or upload to Youtube. Watch this great example. Available on the iPad and iPod.
      Puppet Pals- IChoose the western characters, personalize the characters by adding your voice, select the scene and props, and record a video. Send this by email or upload to Youtube. Available on the iPad and iPod.
      StoryKit- Create an electronic storybook by drawing on the screen, uploading images, recording sound effects and voice, laying out the elements of the story (text boxes, images, paint, and sound clips) freely by dragging them or pinching to resize, reordering pages, and uploading to the StoryKit web server. Email a link to the story. The application includes four public domain children's books to rewrite and rearrange into a new story. Available on the iPad and iPod.
      Animoto- Upload up to 10 images, choose a soundtrack from the library (many nice holiday tunes to choose from, and click a button to make a 30-second video. Sync your videos with your Animoto.com account, download videos for offline viewing, and make longer ones with an All-Access Pass. Available on the iPad and iPod.
      Videolicious- video creation in 3 easy steps
      Create A Comic App- free comic creation app for Android and i-devices.

      Free ebooks

      Digital Storytelling Tools by Silvia Tolisano
      Effective Mobile Learning: 50+ Tips & Resources by Shelly Terrell
      Digital Storytelling in the Classroom by MicroSoft

    • valerica_danaila
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2012
        Thank you, Shelly. I learnt a lot during these weeks. My students are very happy because their teacher participated at DigitalStorytelling 4kids . :) I introduced new tools to make our classes more interesting, funnier and learning seemed to be easier than usual.

        --- In DigitalStorytelling4Kids@yahoogroups.com, "shellysanchez77" <shellyterrell@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > Animoto <http://animoto.com/> - Upload up to 10 images, choose a
        > soundtrack from the library (many nice holiday tunes to choose from, and
        > click a button to make a 30-second video. Sync your videos with your
        > Animoto.com account, download videos for offline viewing, and make
        > longer ones with an All-Access Pass. Available on the iPad and iPod.
        > Videolicious <http://videolicious.com/> - video creation in 3 easy steps
        > Create A Comic App
        > <http://www.appbrain.com/app/create-a-comic/com.tiltedchair.cacomic> -
        > free comic creation app for Android and i-devices.
        > Free ebooks
        > Digital Storytelling Tools
        > <http://langwitches.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Digital-Storytel\
        > ling-Guide-by-Silvia-Rosenthal-Tolisano.pdf> by Silvia Tolisano
        > Effective Mobile Learning: 50+ Tips & Resources

      • bertenu2000
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 8, 2012
          Dear Shelly and Valeri,
          I agree we have shared so much and hope to go on sharing in the future:)))I'm also trying to use all the learning and sharings with my students.Projects,presentations ,grammar rules,dialogues,speaking skills,reading materials , every skill will become more enjoyable and easier with the implementation of these tools:)))We are also lucky to participate in an ELT Conference(Liberating the Learner) here in Izmir in March:))))Mr. Ken Wilson's plenary is about 'Ten ways to get your students to DO something:))) I now know lots of ways and looking forward to their awesome presentations. In addition to Mr. Ken Wilson;Mr. Jeremy Harmer and Mr. Luke Prodromou will be presenting ;ELT as the practice of freedom and the Myth of Multi-tasking.Regards,
          Buket.
        • shanadae
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 10, 2012
            A million thanks, that was extremely helpful and thoughtful.