Pros and cons of using a WIKI

  • erikaoya@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2012
      A WIKI is a very nice virtual space to create collabortion. Everybody can contribute and the teacher can really guide the activity using the comment area. I love working with PBworks and I have a PBworks WIKI for each age group I teach. Inside the WIKI they have their groups divided by folders, each class has a folder. When I post some digital activities they can see the work from their classmates and comment on them, but also what students from other groups and levels are doing and comment on them too. I can see more advantages than disadvantages, but I think this should work as a project because you have to take students to a computer lab and teach them how to use the WIKI, to register, how to edit the pages and only then you can start working. For young learners, I think it's interesting when you send the WIKI address to parents because they can see what students are learning and the result of their tasks, activities and projects. And after all you can keep records of your students semester/year and check how much they did when the semester/year is finish. It's also a portfolio of the group.
    • davedodgsonelt
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2012
        Hi Erika,

        It sounds like you use pbworks in a similar way to me!

        I have a system set up with individual pages for each class, which contain links to their projects and tasks. It's great for getting them to comment on each other's work and for showing the parents what we have been doing.

        In many ways, I feel that using the website and interacting via the comments has helped me build stronger connections with many of my students this year.

        Dave

        --- In DigitalStorytelling4Kids@yahoogroups.com, "erikaoya@..." <erikaoya@...> wrote:

        > A WIKI is a very nice virtual space to create collabortion. Everybody can contribute and the teacher can really guide the activity using the comment area. I love working with PBworks and I have a PBworks WIKI for each age group I teach. Inside the WIKI they have their groups divided by folders, each class has a folder. When I post some digital activities they can see the work from their classmates and comment on them, but also what students from other groups and levels are doing and comment on them too. I can see more advantages than disadvantages, but I think this should work as a project because you have to take students to a computer lab and teach them how to use the WIKI, to register, how to edit the pages and only then you can start working. For young learners, I think it's interesting when you send the WIKI address to parents because they can see what students are learning and the result of their tasks, activities and projects. And after all you can keep records of your students semester/year and check how much they did when the semester/year is finish. It's also a portfolio of the group.

      • Chiyuki Yanase
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2012
          Hi Erika & Dave et all,

          It is a brilliant idea to share projects or works that students have done with parents, using Wiki. I imagine having parents learn how to use Wiki will be a big challenge, however, it is worth trying :-)

          I have already set pbworks up and was wondering how I can use it effectively with young learners. Thank you both for a great idea!

          I've invited some of guests (teachers) and asked them to leave some comments on students' works when they are shown.

          Best,
          Chiyuki

          --- In DigitalStorytelling4Kids@yahoogroups.com, "davedodgsonelt" <dave.dodgson@...> wrote:

          > Hi Erika,
          >
          > It sounds like you use pbworks in a similar way to me!
          >
          > I have a system set up with individual pages for each class, which contain links to their projects and tasks. It's great for getting them to comment on each other's work and for showing the parents what we have been doing.
          >
          > In many ways, I feel that using the website and interacting via the comments has helped me build stronger connections with many of my students this year.
          >
          > Dave
          >
          > --- In DigitalStorytelling4Kids@yahoogroups.com, "erikaoya@" <erikaoya@> wrote:
          > >
          > > A WIKI is a very nice virtual space to create collabortion. Everybody can contribute and the teacher can really guide the activity using the comment area. I love working with PBworks and I have a PBworks WIKI for each age group I teach. Inside the WIKI they have their groups divided by folders, each class has a folder. When I post some digital activities they can see the work from their classmates and comment on them, but also what students from other groups and levels are doing and comment on them too. I can see more advantages than disadvantages, but I think this should work as a project because you have to take students to a computer lab and teach them how to use the WIKI, to register, how to edit the pages and only then you can start working. For young learners, I think it's interesting when you send the WIKI address to parents because they can see what students are learning and the result of their tasks, activities and projects. And after all you can keep records of your students semester/year and check how much they did when the semester/year is finish. It's also a portfolio of the group.

        • bertenu2000
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2012
            Dear Erika ,
            Thanks a lot for your collaborative story on PB Works.I added my part and I really enjoyed while doing it.I can now better understand how my students will feel when they do so;)))This is my first experience so I decided to keep it short.There will be some other friends who will contribute.
            I am trying to learn more about Wiki.I think wikis are wonderful sources of information and they help students reach the information,share it with others and get informed about current events.If we all know and obey the safety regulations I think there will be no harm for our students.Teachers may have a lot of work to deal as they become the facilitators during this online collaborative learning process.I will be glad to collaborate with you all and share my students' tasks with you:)))Regards,
            Buket.