Re: Collaboration

  • Michelle Worgan
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2012
      Hi Dani,

      Thank you for sharing your ideas :)
      I love the VoiceThread you made with your class of eight-year-olds! I
      agree with Dave that learners tend to make more of an effort with both
      pronunciation and content if they are being recorded and posted online
      for all to see. Perhaps you or another teacher could ask the same kids
      in a year or two to do a similar project and compare it to the one they
      have done now? This way they have actual proof of how they have
      progressed in English!

      I think VoiceThread makes it very easy to have a record of students
      speaking in English, which is something we traditionally miss out on.

      I agree with you that being able to collaborate with learners of English
      in many different parts of the world is a great thing. If we want to
      teach our learners about cultural diversity, maybe we could set up a
      project with a theme (as you say) and see how similar or different our
      ideas or experiences are from one place to another.

      All the best,

      Michelle
      EVO Moderator
    • davedodgsonelt
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2012
        Hi Dani,

        As you said, kids in classes around the world will all be on different programmes and at different levels but there is always an amount of crossover and I'm sure it would be enough to allow a collaborative story to grow.

        I like your idea of a thread with children reading stories. One idea I had was that two teachers in different locations could connect online and choose a picture or set of pictures to base a story on. Their students could then create and record a story with each class uploading them to the Voicethread, which could then be listened to with stories compared and commented on. What do yout think?

        Anyone out there with students aged 10-12, let me know. ;)

        Dave

        --- In DigitalStorytelling4Kids@yahoogroups.com, "daniela" <danilyra@...> wrote:

        > I was reading the digest, and I have to thank you all for the wonderful ideas and insights that I got from all of you. Here are my reflections on the questions you asked:
        > What are collaborative stories? Have you ever created one with your learners? In what way was the story collaborative?
        >
        > Collaborative stories for me are the ones that students get the chance of working together in order to achieve a single outcome. I have used voicethread with my 8year olds at the EFL private language school that I work for. A workmate and I had the same level, and we created a digital version of students's describing their families as a final task. The highlight for me was the possibility of having students leave comments on each others work. They asked questions or simply congratulated their peers. Another interesting point is that groups worked together, and anyone can see their work. Please, feel free to have your students comment and collaborate with our thread. It's called It's Great to Be Different!
        > https://voicethread.com/share/1172786/https://voicethread.com/share/1172786/
        >
        > What are the benefits of asking our students to collaborate?
        > Students got really proud as their work had an authentic audience, and they helped each other to edit and do their best.
        >
        > How would you organise a collaborative project such as a story on a larger scale, such as with learners from other classes, schools or even countries?
        > I'd love to collaborate with you all, and I believe we can do an amazing job. Sometimes the syllabus are totally differnt due to the fact that we have different teaching environment. However, there are always topics that we all address. Since we are a multi cultural group, I believe that we could thake advantage of such a variety and have a thread in each educators and children worldwide could talk about their hometowns and interesting cultural aspects.
        >
        > Another possibility could be a thread with children reading books. It could be something similar to smories, but for language learners.Please, let me know if you are interested in carrying out these projects together.
        >
        > Thank you very much for reading!
        > Dani

      • daniela
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2012
          Hi Dave!

          I loved your suggestion! I'll meet my students - young learners next week, and I'll get back to you and all the other participants here to try to set up a collaborative thread.
          Thanks!

          --- In DigitalStorytelling4Kids@yahoogroups.com, "davedodgsonelt" <dave.dodgson@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > How would you organise a collaborative project such as a story on a larger scale, such as with learners from other classes, schools or even countries?
          > > I'd love to collaborate with you all, and I believe we can do an amazing job. Sometimes the syllabus are totally differnt due to the fact that we have different teaching environment. However, there are always topics that we all address. Since we are a multi cultural group, I believe that we could thake advantage of such a variety and have a thread in each educators and children worldwide could talk about their hometowns and interesting cultural aspects.
          > >
          > > Another possibility could be a thread with children reading books. It could be something similar to smories, but for language learners.Please, let me know if you are interested in carrying out these projects together.

        • daniela
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2012
            Hi Michelle,
            I really enjoyed your idea of getting students to set up a
            project with a theme and see how similar or different our
            ideas or experiences are from one place to another. I thought about something as simple as how to have fun over the weekend. I'll start my classes next week. I need to meet my students to grasp what their interests are first. I'll get back to you later on, ok? Maybe we could start something intersting.
            Thanks for your insightful suggestion.

            Cheers!
            Dani

            --- In DigitalStorytelling4Kids@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle Worgan" <michelleworgan@...> wrote:

            > Hi Dani,
            >
            > Thank you for sharing your ideas :)
            > I love the VoiceThread you made with your class of eight-year-olds! I
            > agree with Dave that learners tend to make more of an effort with both
            > pronunciation and content if they are being recorded and posted online
            > for all to see. Perhaps you or another teacher could ask the same kids
            > in a year or two to do a similar project and compare it to the one they
            > have done now? This way they have actual proof of how they have
            > progressed in English!
            >
            > I think VoiceThread makes it very easy to have a record of students
            > speaking in English, which is something we traditionally miss out on.
            >
            > I agree with you that being able to collaborate with learners of English
            > in many different parts of the world is a great thing. If we want to
            > teach our learners about cultural diversity, maybe we could set up a
            > project with a theme (as you say) and see how similar or different our
            > ideas or experiences are from one place to another.
            >
            > All the best,
            >
            > Michelle
            > EVO Moderator

          • bertenu2000
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2012
              Dear all,
              I also enjoyed the idea of collaboration among schools and students.My colleagues in my school and my students will all be glad and honoured to collaborate with you and your students.On Monday we are starting our second term and I'll immediately organize my class for this wonderful collaboration.Although I teach 9th grades I'm sure they'll enjoy and be willing to participate in this online collaboration.Regards,
              Buket.
              PS:If we give them this chance at an early age it'd be extremely good for their future career prospects.LOL........