Re: Collaborative stories

  • bertenu2000
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 31, 2012
      Hi Dani,
      Thank you for your interest in our global projects.In my school we have been doing Youth Innovations and Entrepreneurship Project for four years.We have been collaborating with iEARN and our students are collaborating with their peers around the world.Currently we are doing SUE Project with Taiwan(project coordinator) and 12 other schools from Azerbaijan,Tajikistan,Ukraine,theUK,Japan,Turkey,Pakistan,India.We also have ORGANIC GARDEN project.Our students have improved their language skills,their social identity and they have now become socially aware citizens who are enthusiastic about making a positive change in their community.We look forward to more global collaborations with you:))Regards,
      Buket.
    • Michelle Worgan
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1 1:33 AM
        Hi there, Peter!

        Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I think the points you make about shy or quiet learners are very important. Allowing students to record themselves at home is a valid option that will avoid most of the pressure of speaking in front of other people. Also, allowing students to have notes or a written text can be a huge support - I know I still get nervous recording my voice, especially if I haven't prepared what I want to say!

        I also agree about giving students roles when they work in groups. With younger learners this is very important as young children have not ususally developed the social skills that come with group work. They tend to work individually or one will be giving out orders to the others, so I try to make one child Team Leader and the others may be Writer, Illustrator, depending on the project they are working on.

        I will try to answer your questions and I will also add the one about VoiceThread to the Help Page on our wiki.

        The free account with VoiceThread only allows you to have 3 simultaneous stories. I am not sure whether this means that you can create a new VT each time you delete one. However, there is a free upgrade available for K12 (primary and secondary)educators. I have just upgraded my own account here.  Click on "apply" at the bottom and fill in the form. A link will then be sent to the email you provide to activate the upgrade. This is totally free and allows you to use limited features, including a maximum of 50 VoiceThreads.

        I have not used Brainshark but I will check it out :)

        Finally, to share stories on Storybird, you send an email from the story itself. The best way is to have a Teacher account where you can create classes of students. Each student has their own username and password, so they can log in wherever and whenever they want. They can invite anybody else from the class to contribute to their story. I guess the solution for working with other classes or schools would be to create a "class"  that includes all the students together. You can have up to 75 students and 3 classes with the free version. If you want more you need to upgrade to the paid version.

        I hope this helps!

        Michelle
        EVO Moderator

      • davedodgsonelt
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1 11:52 AM
          One thing I would add to the discussion about shy students is that they soon get used to being recorded! I have some students who opted out of the first set of recrdoings and video stories we did this year but, once they saw the results, the were keen to be involved the next time!

          Some of them are nervous about speaking in front of a camera/microphone but that gets better too. The knowledge that they can go back and start again if necessary is a help too.

          Dave

          --- In DigitalStorytelling4Kids@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle Worgan" <michelleworgan@...> wrote:

          > Hi there, Peter!
          >
          > Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I think the points you make
          > about shy or quiet learners are very important. Allowing students to
          > record themselves at home is a valid option that will avoid most of the
          > pressure of speaking in front of other people. Also, allowing students
          > to have notes or a written text can be a huge support - I know I still
          > get nervous recording my voice, especially if I haven't prepared what I
          > want to say!
          >
          > I also agree about giving students roles when they work in groups. With
          > younger learners this is very important as young children have not
          > ususally developed the social skills that come with group work. They
          > tend to work individually or one will be giving out orders to the
          > others, so I try to make one child Team Leader and the others may be
          > Writer, Illustrator, depending on the project they are working on.
          >
          > I will try to answer your questions and I will also add the one about
          > VoiceThread to the Help Page on our wiki.
          >
          > The free account with VoiceThread only allows you to have 3 simultaneous
          > stories. I am not sure whether this means that you can create a new VT
          > each time you delete one. However, there is a free upgrade available for
          > K12 (primary and secondary)educators. I have just upgraded my own
          > account here. <http://voicethread.com/products/k12/educator/> Click on
          > "apply" at the bottom and fill in the form. A link will then be sent to
          > the email you provide to activate the upgrade. This is totally free and
          > allows you to use limited features, including a maximum of 50
          > VoiceThreads.
          >
          > I have not used Brainshark but I will check it out :)
          >
          > Finally, to share stories on Storybird, you send an email from the story
          > itself. The best way is to have a Teacher account where you can create
          > classes of students. Each student has their own username and password,
          > so they can log in wherever and whenever they want. They can invite
          > anybody else from the class to contribute to their story. I guess the
          > solution for working with other classes or schools would be to create a
          > "class" that includes all the students together. You can have up to 75
          > students and 3 classes with the free version. If you want more you need
          > to upgrade to the paid version.
          >
          > I hope this helps!
          >
          > Michelle
          > EVO Moderator

        • Sakaki Sins
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1 6:38 PM

            Hello Michelle,
            I've been unable to participate because I'm moving houses and have been left without internet until the 7th of February. I know that the group activities are probably well under-way and that I am far behind, but i will do my best to catch up as soon as possible. I'm very sorry. I just wanted to explain and send my apologies.

            Sincerely,
            Daniela.
          • Michelle Worgan
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2 12:58 AM
              Hi Daniela,

              Don't worry about not being able to do some of the tasks, you catch up
              if you wish when you get your internet connection back.
              There is also no need to do everything - just choose the tasks you would
              like to, or feel able to do.

              Thanks you for letting us know :)

              Michelle
            • valerica_danaila
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 2 9:23 AM
                Dave, you are right. I recorded some of my students on Monday. It was our first attempt using Voicethread in the classroom. At the beginning only few of my students wanted to participate , but then , when they heard their colleagues speaking about their favourite season, the other students asked me to record them too.

                --- In DigitalStorytelling4Kids@yahoogroups.com, "davedodgsonelt" <dave.dodgson@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > "apply" at the bottom and fill in the form. A link will then be sent to
                > > the email you provide to activate the upgrade. This is totally free and
                > > allows you to use limited features, including a maximum of 50
                > > VoiceThreads.
                > >
                > > I have not used Brainshark but I will check it out :)
                > >
                > > Finally, to share stories on Storybird, you send an email from the story
                > > itself. The best way is to have a Teacher account where you can create
                > > classes of students. Each student has their own username and password,
                > > so they can log in wherever and whenever they want. They can invite
                > > anybody else from the class to contribute to their story. I guess the
                > > solution for working with other classes or schools would be to create a
                > > "class" that includes all the students together. You can have up to 75
                > > students and 3 classes with the free version. If you want more you need

              • Peter
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 5 2:50 AM
                  Hi Michelle,

                  Thanks a million for the information. It is all much clearer now. The educator accounts for Voicethread and Storybird will be sufficient for me so I am delighted I will have the chance to use them in my classes. Do you happen to have a link to a page with Voicethread lesson ideas? Thanks. How often do you use Voicethread or Storybird in your classes?

                  Take care

                  Peter