Re: [Digital BW] Epson 4800 INVALID INK CRTG with MIS funnel fill MK cartridge

  • danielstaver
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2010
      Thanks! I still can't get it to work, but at least then I know this is a general problem with these cartridges and not just my printer in particular.

      Considering your solution to the problem it sounds to me as if there is an alignment problem with the chips on the MIS cartridges.

      The 4800 and 7800 use the same cartridges, so it's not unlikely your solution should work for me as well. Where exactly do you place these shims and how thick are they?

      I tried inserting several strips of 310g matte paper under the cartridge when inserting into the printer, but it didn't help.

      --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Carr <patcarr@...> wrote:

      > danielstaver wrote:
      > >

      > > I bought a MIS Funnel Fill MK cartridge for my Epson 4800 but get the
      > > error INVALID INK CRTG on the printer panel when I install the
      > > catridge. MIS sent me a replacement cart, but I still get the same
      > > error. Installing another Epson OEM MK cartridge works fine.
      > >
      > > Has anyone here encountered this problem before?
      > >

      > I have this problem on my 7800 with both Jon Cone's cartridges and to a
      > much lesser degree, MIS cartridges. I've found that by shimming the
      > cartridges from the bottom with a cut piece of mat board will generally
      > fix the problem. Of course this may not apply to your 4800 . . . :-(
      >
      > Hope it helps.
      >
      > Patrick Carr
      >
      > --
      > Carr Imaging

    • Patrick Carr
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2010
        danielstaver wrote:

        > Thanks! I still can't get it to work, but at least then I know this is
        > a general problem with these cartridges and not just my printer in
        > particular.
        >
        > Considering your solution to the problem it sounds to me as if there
        > is an alignment problem with the chips on the MIS cartridges.
        >
        > The 4800 and 7800 use the same cartridges, so it's not unlikely your
        > solution should work for me as well. Where exactly do you place these
        > shims and how thick are they?
        >
        > I tried inserting several strips of 310g matte paper under the
        > cartridge when inserting into the printer, but it didn't help.

        Yes, it has been a problem for me and I agree with you, seems to be an
        alignment issue. I finally replaced all Jon's carts (and I'm not
        implying this to be an issue with inkjet mall's carts in
        particular--only my experience--I have not heard a great number of
        others with this issue) with MIS and have had more success. Usually
        moving them around a bit will seat them. If that doesn't work I'll cut
        small strips (maybe three quarter inch by around 4 inches) and jam one
        of these in under the cartridge. For whatever reasons this seems to work.

        The MIS cartridges are long enough I can refill without removing
        them--this is a plus! The only time they have to come out is to reset.

        Hope you get yours working soon.

        Patrick Carr

        --
        Carr Imaging

      • Myron Gochnauer
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2010
          I seem to recall having the invalid ink crtg message with MIS funnel fill cartridges on a 4880.

          It did not happen with all of the cartridges, but I cannot recall which one or ones gave me the message.

          Unfortunately, I do not recall exactly how I got past the problem, but I *think* I played around with the menu on the printer. Basically (I think) I just kept pressing whatever buttons tell the printer to proceed, proceed-anyway, do-it-even-though-the-sky-will-fall-and-Epson-will-never-speak-to-me-again, and similar things. Eventually it worked.

          Although working properly now, the Epson printer StatusMonitor utility says: "A non-genuine or refilled cartridge has been detected. Ink levels are not shown because of unknown ink volume." I believe I receive the same message if I reset an Epson chip. None of the ink levels are reported for my MIS 4880 cartridges. (The 4880 also believes the waste tank is full even though it is almost new --- it is an MIS-chipped tank.)

          The 4880 is able to recognize chips that are not Epson, or have been "tampered with". Perhaps the 4800 does as well.

          Since you are having trouble with the MK cartridge, why don't you try using an Epson chip in place of the MIS chip? (... assuming you have one that has not been totally "drained".) That would at least show you whether the problem is with the cartridge or the chip.

          My more common problem with the MIS cartridges is a message something like: "Cartridge not recognized" --- I'm not sure of the exact phrase, but the problem in my case had to do with proper placement of the chip in relation to the sensing pin on the printer. I had to use "fun tak" to shim the chip out far enough to make firm contact with the pins.

          MIS sent me a replacement cartridge, but I haven't had to use it yet. Shimming the chip worked for now... and until it *stops* working I'm not going to touch it !!!

          BTW. Here is something that helped when I was having a lot of trouble with the 4880: While the printer was awake but not printing I pulled the plug out of the wall and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I plugged it back in and turned it on. It did startup routines, and possibly a head check, but then everything worked perfectly. I think of this as a sort of emergency cold boot. It solved what had appeared to be unpredictable head blockages that could not be fixed with head cleaning. I actually ordered a complete set of Epson 220ml cartridges before I discovered that "emergency cold booing" the printer solved the problem.

          Myron
        • danielstaver
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2010
            Thanks! I'll have another go at the menus and see if I find anything to get past the messages.

            I can live with the warnings and lack of ink status as long as I get to print.

            Now MIS support is suggesting that the problem might be caused by the mix of Epson and third party cartridges (I'm only replacing the black ink). That it's detecting two different types of chips somehow and that is causing the error message.

            So, has anyone here successfully installed a mix of Epson and MIS cartridges? Is it even possible?

            --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com, Myron Gochnauer <goch@...> wrote:

            > I seem to recall having the invalid ink crtg message with MIS funnel fill cartridges on a 4880.
            >
            > It did not happen with all of the cartridges, but I cannot recall which one or ones gave me the message.
            >
            > Unfortunately, I do not recall exactly how I got past the problem, but I *think* I played around with the menu on the printer. Basically (I think) I just kept pressing whatever buttons tell the printer to proceed, proceed-anyway, do-it-even-though-the-sky-will-fall-and-Epson-will-never-speak-to-me-again, and similar things. Eventually it worked.
            >
            > Although working properly now, the Epson printer StatusMonitor utility says: "A non-genuine or refilled cartridge has been detected. Ink levels are not shown because of unknown ink volume." I believe I receive the same message if I reset an Epson chip. None of the ink levels are reported for my MIS 4880 cartridges. (The 4880 also believes the waste tank is full even though it is almost new --- it is an MIS-chipped tank.)
            >
            > The 4880 is able to recognize chips that are not Epson, or have been "tampered with". Perhaps the 4800 does as well.
            >
            > Since you are having trouble with the MK cartridge, why don't you try using an Epson chip in place of the MIS chip? (... assuming you have one that has not been totally "drained".) That would at least show you whether the problem is with the cartridge or the chip.
            >
            > My more common problem with the MIS cartridges is a message something like: "Cartridge not recognized" --- I'm not sure of the exact phrase, but the problem in my case had to do with proper placement of the chip in relation to the sensing pin on the printer. I had to use "fun tak" to shim the chip out far enough to make firm contact with the pins.
            >
            > MIS sent me a replacement cartridge, but I haven't had to use it yet. Shimming the chip worked for now... and until it *stops* working I'm not going to touch it !!!
            >
            > BTW. Here is something that helped when I was having a lot of trouble with the 4880: While the printer was awake but not printing I pulled the plug out of the wall and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I plugged it back in and turned it on. It did startup routines, and possibly a head check, but then everything worked perfectly. I think of this as a sort of emergency cold boot. It solved what had appeared to be unpredictable head blockages that could not be fixed with head cleaning. I actually ordered a complete set of Epson 220ml cartridges before I discovered that "emergency cold booing" the printer solved the problem.
            >
            > Myron

          • horstenj
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1, 2010
              --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com, "danielstaver" <daniel@...> wrote:

              > Now MIS support is suggesting that the problem might be caused by the mix of Epson and third party cartridges (I'm only replacing the black ink). That it's detecting two different types of chips somehow and that is causing the error message.
              >
              > So, has anyone here successfully installed a mix of Epson and MIS cartridges? Is it even possible?

              I'm following this thread with great interest as I'm about to install my new 4800 with MIS cartridges, so no experience with this setup yet. But experience with other refillable cartridges confirms that one usually cannot mix OEM and and non-OEM chips. So if you want to use a mix of cartriges I could imagine that the only way to do it is to replace the chips on the Epson cartridges with the non-OEM ones .....
            • danielstaver
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 1, 2010
                I haven't had any problems mixing cartridges of different types on the smaller printers I owned previously (2100 and 2400). But this it the first time I own a printer of this size, so things might be different.

                MIS suggested I replace the whole set of carts with MIS carts. But then I suddenly get a sevenfold increase in cost, which isn't what I planned. I only wanted to try a new black ink.

                Several people have suggested I try to take the chip from an Epson cart and try that. But at least on the two 220ml MK carts I have here the chips are actually glued to the cartridge, making them impossible to remove without destroying them.

                --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com, "horstenj" <j.h.j.h@...> wrote:

                > --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com, "danielstaver" <daniel@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Now MIS support is suggesting that the problem might be caused by the mix of Epson and third party cartridges (I'm only replacing the black ink). That it's detecting two different types of chips somehow and that is causing the error message.
                > >
                > > So, has anyone here successfully installed a mix of Epson and MIS cartridges? Is it even possible?
                >
                > I'm following this thread with great interest as I'm about to install my new 4800 with MIS cartridges, so no experience with this setup yet. But experience with other refillable cartridges confirms that one usually cannot mix OEM and and non-OEM chips. So if you want to use a mix of cartriges I could imagine that the only way to do it is to replace the chips on the Epson cartridges with the non-OEM ones .....

              • donpalino
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 5, 2010
                  Remember the Epson X800 printer series will give you a similar message if the "black ink mode" does not match the cartridge. By mode I mean:
                  The printer is in MATTE mode and you load a PHOTO BLACK cartridge or
                  The printer is in PHOTO mode and you load a MATTE BLACK cartridge.

                  If that's the case, just remove the cartridge and follow the procedure to change inks mode described in the manual.

                  Good luck!

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 5, 2010
                    I'm changing from one MK cartridge to another so the black ink swap procedure shouldn't be necessary. I made sure to specify that MIS send me a MK compatible cartridge.

                    If I press the pause button when I get the error message it will ask me if I want to run the ink swap procedure. When I answer no the message changes to WRONG INK CRTG.