RE: [Digital BW] HP Z3100 Vivera PK Inkset ("HP-C6")

  • Gary Wagner
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 1, 2009
      Paul,

      I read your paper.

      Could the entire dilution be made with HP Vivera PK?

      Is the issue the cost of HP ink being 4 times the price of Eboni or is
      there some other issue with doing this?

      What type of dmax are you getting on Matt paper with your formula?

      Thanks,

      Gary Wagner

      I've put the information relating to my dilute HP Vivera PK inkset,
      which I call "HP-C6" at
      http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/Ink-Mixing.pdf

      So far so good.

      Paul
      www.PaulRoark.com

    • pr_roark
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 1, 2009
        "Gary Wagner" <gcwagner@...> wrote:

        > Could the entire dilution be made with HP Vivera PK?

        I'm not sure what you mean here.
        In http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/Ink-Mixing.pdf I describe one
        possible inkset that uses 4 dilutions of the HP PK, with Eboni being
        the MK and an MIS LK being used as a warm carbon toner. One could
        use just the HP PK dilutions if cool shadows are preferred. Or, as
        suggested in the PDF, one could set up parallel LK-LLK density
        dilutions for a warm/cool channel system.

        > Is the issue the cost of HP ink being 4 times the price
        > of Eboni or is there some other issue with doing this?

        Cost is one big factor. However, the thermal head printers like HP's
        use a lower viscosity ink than the Epson printers. So, one thing I'm
        doing with the C6 base is raising the viscosity to the Epson range.

        This also holds the pigments in suspension better. HP apparently has
        a system of mixing its pigments in the carts rather continuously,
        which is a feature most of at least the older Epson wide format
        printers lack, and will not need with this dilution system. While
        the HP pigments do not settle at a rate that I think is a serious
        problem, they don't appear to settle hardly at all with the heavier,
        thicker C6 base.

        Additionally, the C6 dilution base has been very clog free. I
        believe this is due to the high glycerol content and lack of any
        binder. I suspect the diluted HP pigments will clog less than the
        stock ones. Again, most of us do not have a printer that stays on
        and runs nozzle checks automatically every so often.

        > What type of dmax are you getting on Matt paper with your formula?

        It's standard Eboni MK, so nothing changes there. Based on some dmax
        figures Ernst provided, I think Eboni is still very competitive.
        With the new Premier Art Generations Alise line of papers, by the
        way, mid 1.70's are very realistic. On HPR 1.70 - 1.72 is
        normal. "EEM" - UPPM hits 1.68- 1.7. Lots of papers are in the mid-
        160's. I generally will not use a matte paper that is below 1.6.

        I try to make the best inkset I can for my own uses, given the
        materials that are available to me. Cost and quality are both major
        factors. Additionally, I really dislike clogged or otherwise high-
        maintenance printers -- and mine sit idle a lot. The HP-C6 looks
        like a very promising alternative for the neutral B&W prints I
        prefer. But, it also has not sat in an idle printer for a month.
        So, it'll be a while before I know for sure whether I want to load it
        into my 7500.

        Paul
        www.PaulRoark.com