My *new* 2100/2200 !

  • Louis de Stoutz
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2008
      Hello!

      At last I can unpack my brand-new Epson Stylus Photo 2100 (2200) and
      connect it for the first time to my new workstation (!!).

      Now, of course, I feel rather anachronistic, and the question arises,
      what to do with it? This is where I would appreciate a little input from
      you experts.

      My printing needs are:
      - mainly B&W at highest quality level (professional work)
      - occasionally some color work, mainly for personal usage
      - digital negatives (can't say yet to what extent)

      If I were to buy a new second printer:

      - which one should I get?
      - how should I split the above tasks between the 2100 and the new one?

      Thanks for your advice!

      Louis de Stoutz
    • David Whistance
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2008
        Hello Louis

        I'm sure you will get lots of worthwhile advice, however for what it is
        worth mine would be:

        1 For "highest quality" B&W from a 2100 go for as many shades of grey as
        you can. This means either Paul Roark's Eboni 6 inkset (available from MIS)
        or Carbon 6 (DIY from his website) or one of John Cone's Piezography K7
        inksets. I use the latter in several 4000's which are similar in spec to
        the 2100 and they work very well. Choosing between the two approaches will
        be difficult, you will probably have to look at samples to decide which tone
        suits you and your work better.

        2 For occasional colour put back the Epson cartridges, run several cleaning
        cycles and print. If it is regular get another printer for colour.

        3 For a second A3+ printer I'd look for either a 2400 or its replacement
        which will allow printing on glossy paper and also do good digital negatives
        on the right paper.

        David Whistance
        At last I can unpack my brand-new Epson Stylus Photo 2100 (2200) and
        connect it for the first time to my new workstation (!!).

        Now, of course, I feel rather anachronistic, and the question arises,
        what to do with it? This is where I would appreciate a little input from
        you experts.

        My printing needs are:
        - mainly B&W at highest quality level (professional work)
        - occasionally some color work, mainly for personal usage
        - digital negatives (can't say yet to what extent)

        If I were to buy a new second printer:

        - which one should I get?
        - how should I split the above tasks between the 2100 and the new one?

        Thanks for your advice!

        Louis de Stoutz

      • Richard Smallfield
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2008
          Hi Louis,
          to start with I'd just use the OEM inks and Quad Tone Rip. You will be pleased with the results.

          That way you still have good BW and colour.

          I do BW exhibition prints and I'm pleased with the results with mine.

          Richard

          --
          www.richardsmallfield.com

          "Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune."
          --Nicholas Ling

        • John Beeching
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2008
            Dear Louis,

            I use the 2100 and OEM via QTR and am very pleased with the results, which
            can be of exhibition quality. I have tried MIS inks in cartridges, these
            were good when they worked, but I soon suffered from uncleanable nozzles. I
            had experienced similar troubles with MIS inks when I had a 1660. So, I had
            to buy some cleaning cartridges and then went back to OEM inks and have had
            no problems since. On the other hand, if you want a load of MIS cartridges
            as a bargain price, I do have some!

            Happy printing,

            John

            --
            John Beeching
            http://johnbeeching.com/

          • Louis de Stoutz
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 4, 2008
              Thank you so much, David, Richard, and John, for your insights!

              Being (alas!) a bit of a perfectionist/purist, I feel sort of hypnotized
              by the carbon/cotton combination. So I'm sure this is where I will want
              to go in the end.

              It might be wise though (?), to start as Richard and John suggest with
              OEM, just to get some practice in the digital print world (after many
              years of darkroom), and not have the hassle of changing inks.

              After this I will probably get a second printer, and the question will
              be, which printer to use for what, i.e.

              - color and digital negs on one
              - carbon on the other

              I then have a question on carbon, but I better start another thread for
              this :-) ...

              Louis
            • David Whistance
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 4, 2008
                Louis

                I have to say that if you are attracted by the combination of carbon/cotton
                go for it. There will be a learning curve whatever you do so why not start
                as you mean to carry on? In some ways I think that using multi black
                inksets is easier, if you want only B&W output, than using the full colour
                OEM set, particularly if you go for a fixed tone K6/K7 set (MIS Eboni 6 or
                any of the Cone K7 sets). Have a look at Paul Roark's website on the Eboni
                6/Carbon 6 pages - he outlines some simple workflows there. Similarly Jon
                Cone has instructions on his website.

                David Whistance

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 4, 2008
                  The other side of the story is that OEM ink will kill you in the wallet : )

                  gar

                • djon43
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 4, 2008
                    Depends on the size of your wallet :-)