Re: [Digital BW] Epson 9500 sold - 9000 as alternative?

  • Joost Horsten
    Message 1 of 38 , Jul 1, 2008
      Hi all,

      Encouraged by your feedback I went out to buy the Epson 9500. But
      alas... it was already sold :-(

      I've been looking further around and spotted a 9600 (no doubt a very
      good printer, but they ask too much). I found a 9000 as well. All
      comments given on the maintenance need on the 9500 apply here as well
      of course. So I am rather cautious...

      But apart from that, is this "antique" type of printer (6 inks, fixed
      10 pl droplets) able to create high quality B&W prints? I expect that
      a 4K+ inkset is a no-go for this printer. But would a
      Carbon/Eboni/Cone-6 give top-notch results? I am willing to give up
      the toning/glossy capabilities of 4K+, but I am not pepared to settle
      with substandard print quality. Then I'd rather look around further
      for another 9500 or a cheaper 9600.

      Joost
    • pr_roark
      Message 38 of 38 , Jul 17, 2008
        Dinkla <edinkla@...> wrote:

        > When Paul added that the print quality of the 9000 was still
        > close to heaven ...

        That's a bit over the top.

        Look, I'm simply saying that these old machines are getting so cheap
        they can be very good values for B&W. Additionally, for the Eboni-6 or
        Carbon-6 100% carbon pigment approaches I now favor, the larger drops
        allow a bit more neutral printing. The smaller the drop, the more Lab
        B tends to rise with dilute Eboni inks.

        Paul
        www.PaulRoark.com