Re: Are the new R1800s any better?

  • robert49brake
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
      --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Karafyllakis"
      <stevekphoto@...> wrote:

      > Hi All;
      >
      > As they say, 'Hope Springs Eternal'... Has anyone bought a NEW (not
      > refurbed) R1800 from the Epson store in the last few months? I would
      > appreciate a report on the microbanding issue as I'm thinking of
      > replacing my ageing unit soon. I guess I'm hoping that Epson has either
      > adressed the microbanding problem (quietly) or is keeping the better
      > units to sell on the own stores. Too much to hope for?

      Hello Steven, I've been thinking about an 1800 also. From my understanding of
      manufacturing methods I don't think any new 1800s have been made for some time. I
      think the 1800 is on it's way out and I'd hazard a guess that any new units are remaining
      stock. I could be wrong but I think the consumer end things like small printers are run in
      batches with projected sales determining the run size and discounting used to eliminate
      remaining stock. That fits in with Epson's program to keep cart technology a step ahead
      of third party suppliers and differentiates the larger Pro (hand tweaked) models as well.

      That said, I think the microbanding can be resolved within the workflow with curves and
      dithering patterns. I'd be interested in hearing from others. From your post I take it you
      have an 1800 currently. Where exactly do you experience microbanding? Color? B&W
      inksets? Epson inks vs third party? Highlights? Midtones? All of the above?

      Cheers, Robert
    • Steven Karafyllakis
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hi Robert;

        You must be a relative new-comer, or you wouldn't do something so
        foolish as give me an opening to bitch more about the R1800 (G).
        Regular list members however are likely bored to tears with the
        subject, so I'll only say that this is my 4th R1800, and they all had
        the problem to one extent or other. Hardly shows at all in most units
        with all inks firing, but cutting back to 2 or 3 and a couple toners
        makes it much more of a problem.

        > That said, I think the microbanding can be resolved within the
        workflow with curves and
        > dithering patterns. >

        A small amount of that can be dealt with in this fashion, but if you
        don't have a majority of your channels printing cleanly, microbanding
        will always rear its ugly little head.

        I suspect Epson will not make second intermediate-level 8-ink printer
        now that they have Claria inks on the one hand, and the R2400 on the
        other. This was after all an attempt to address the longevity issue at
        the advanced enthusiast level, and the R1400 and its successors will
        now fill that niche. Too bad my preferred setup requires 7 channels.

        I think perhaps I'll just run this one till it quits, Then shift the
        burden to the 3800. Refillables for that are not too far away, and it
        prints beautifully. But don't get me started on the paper transport
        mechanism-what where they thinking?

        Steven Karafyllakis
      • David Aschkenas
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
          To all my friends, I've just posted an interesting group of new photos that
          focus on cars and decay. If you have any interest in vintage cars returning
          to nature check them out.
          Click the WHITE button on the index page "New photos updated monthly" to see
          the photographs.

          http://www.daschkenasphoto.com

          As always, THANKS for looking.

          David
          -
          --
          David Aschkenas
          915 N. Euclid Ave.

          www.daschkenasphoto.com

        • RobLee
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
            I have r1800 and bought refurb from Epson and it is fine.

            Steven Karafyllakis <stevekphoto@...> wrote: Hi All;

            As they say, 'Hope Springs Eternal'... Has anyone bought a NEW (not
            refurbed) R1800 from the Epson store in the last few months? I would
            appreciate a report on the microbanding issue as I'm thinking of
            replacing my ageing unit soon. I guess I'm hoping that Epson has either
            adressed the microbanding problem (quietly) or is keeping the better
            units to sell on the own stores. Too much to hope for?

            Steven Karafyllakis

            Rob

            Incoming and outgoing mail scanned by AVG
            www.grisoft.com

          • Harry Lockwood
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
              Great shots, David. I know the attraction. Here¹s one of mine:

              http://www.pbase.com/hlockwood/image/17115908

              Harry

              --

              Harry F. Lockwood