[Digital BW] Re: ArtixScan 1800f help

  • djon43
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
      Ooops, sorry: http://www.betterscanning.com/

      I promote this whenever possible because I'm very happy with 3
      generations of versions for my antique Epson...not compensated in any
      way.

      He MAY sell A-N glass as a courtesy, it's not his business.

      The AN glass carrier helps 120 Vs his standard glassless replacement
      carrier, which is better than OEM, but the adjustable carrier is best
      ... OEM<glassless<glass<adjustable. They all hold film flatter than
      OEM. Small investment Vs the improvement. I have more $ in carriers
      than in the scanner itself :-) I've not used with 35mm because I have
      a Nikon.

      I don't think "image path" is a scanner concept. It only sees points
      of light. Theoretically a layer of glass might disperse or even
      attenuate light and lose data. In practice that may not be
      significant. For example, Nikon 8000/9000 accessory 120 carrier uses
      glass..an even better carrier for it uses glass and fluid (Aztek). One
      reads that these glass carriers are also better for 35 with that scanner.

      Flat film, especially when sharply focused, is certainly better than
      OEM with my aged Epson. I don't know nuttin' bout' no Microteks first
      hand...perhaps there's a similar advantage. I guess I'm a film holder
      fanatic, having relied on Dursts, pin-registration systems, Beseler
      Negaflats etc :-) John

      --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com, Lew <lew1716@...>
      wrote:

      > I meant in the *image* path, but I accept your assessment that it's
      just hype anyway. It seems that your
      > posting was supposed to contain a link of url to visit. Could you check?
      > -Lew

    • Lew
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2, 2007
        Hey John:
        I don't know about aN glass from that site, but the adjustable 120 holder looks amazing, especially
        since I shoot 6x6, 6x7 & 6x9 at different times. Thanks!
        -Lew

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 6, 2007
          This question/observation is raised by John's comment below.

          It seems to me that "image path" *is* certainly a scanner concept, especially for the configuration of my
          ArtixScan 1800f. I think the following observation is factual: Since the light source sits underneath the
          glass tray used for transparencies, the light sensor must travel above the tray and the image quality would be
          degraded by less than optical quality glass placed on top of my negs to hold them flat. Hopefully, a sheet of
          anti-Newton glass will take care of the rings without interfering with the image.

          -Lew