Carbon with CSR was Re: [Digital BW] PrintFIX PRO 2.0

  • joemulligan_68
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
      Just curious how you can get a carbon print with CSR without getting loads of bronzing.
      Which inkset do you recommend?

      --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Roark" <paul.roark@...> wrote:

      > Those who like sepia ought to see what pure carbon looks like on Crane
      > Silver Rag. In my not very scientific survey, the CSR carbon was selected
      > over the sepia ink print. Add to that preference the huge longevity
      > advantage of the pure carbon image, and, frankly, I just totally lost
      > interest in the old sepia ink. It's just not up to the longevity standards
      > I think we need. This is not to say I'm ignoring the warm end of the scale,
      > but I think we can do better than the old sepia formula.
      >

      > Paul
      > www.PaulRoark.com

    • David Keenan
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
        >AWB is a non-ICC process; no profiles possible, not previews possible, no
        >matching one device to another possible

        For cripes sake, I have wasted SO much time then profiling all of these
        papers... I had no idea that ICC weren't used in ABW mode.

        BTW -- Is PFP 2.0 available yet? If not, when?

        Dave.

        --
        My Photography: http://www.david-keenan.com
        My Blog: http://www.david-keenan.com/euroblog

      • Paul Roark
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
          >Just curious how you can get a carbon print with CSR without
          >getting loads of bronzing. Which inkset do you recommend?

          I use MIS inks and have not found the bronzing to be too bad with many
          glossy paper, CSR being one of them. All the MIS inksets I've been involved
          with have the capability to have only the carbon inks printed. Glop is
          still a useful option for those who want the best glossy prints. Several
          inksets have that capability, including UT2, UT7, and the 4K+ approach with
          the 2200. Frankly, a 3K+cm&Glop would work fine on a 1280 or any modern
          hextone. K, LK and LLK are all one needs for outstanding printing.

          Paul
          www.PaulRoark.com
        • Paul Roark
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
            >>AWB is a non-ICC process; no profiles possible, not previews possible,
            >> no matching one device to another possible

            >For cripes sake, I have wasted SO much time then profiling all
            >of these papers... I had no idea that ICC weren't used in ABW mode.

            Grayscale file + Create ICC + ABW makes a very nice workflow that is "color
            managed" with a grayscale ICC such that the print matches the monitor's
            grayscale ramp and the density ramps of prints similarly "color managed" on
            other systems.

            We all benefit from new workflows, but let's not ignore the excellent ones
            we already have.

            Paul
            www.PaulRoark.com
          • Daniel Staver
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
              I recently printed a whole exhibition using one of your curves converted to
              ICC using QTR-Create-ICC-RGB linearized with my X-Rite 810 densitometer.

              I made a few tests of the first two prints, but the rest I printed directly
              at full size without making any test prints first. Every image printed
              perfectly and looked exactly the way I wanted them.

              Before creating the ICC I added a curve adjustment layer under your curve to
              create a reasonably even gray ramp with no flat spots or sudden jumps. I've
              found this to be essential to making a good profile.

              Real ICC profile or not? I don't know... But damn useful! I love it when
              things just work.

              --
              Daniel Staver
              http://daniel.staver.no