RE: [Digital BW] 13" matte roll papers

  • Daniel Staver
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2006
      I've recently settled on Permajet Alpha 310g for all my fine art printing.
      The main reason is that I get it for less than half the price of Photo Rag.
      I love Photo Rag, but it's outrageously expensive, and Alpha looks just as
      good. It's an acid free cotton rag paper without OBA's so should be very
      archival.

      They have 24", 36" and 44" rolls. I suggest getting one of them and cut them
      to size. You'll also need a modified roll holder for the big rolls.

      I get mine from http://www.fotomayr.de/, but I'm not sure where to get them
      in New Zealand.

      --
      Daniel Staver
      http://daniel.staver.no

      > I wondered if anyone could suggest a matte 13" roll paper for
      > my Epson 2200 - I have started doing a few panoramas that
      > might have commercial appeal, but don't fancy a chromira
      > print - I'd rather do it myself.
    • Paul Roark
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2006
        I really like Permajet Alpha. It's just not distributed in the U.S. None
        of the Innova papers are like it. I wonder what the cost of shipping to the
        U.S. would be.

        Paul

        www.PaulRoark.com <http://www.paulroark.com/>

        _____

        I've recently settled on Permajet Alpha 310g for all my fine art printing.
        The main reason is that I get it for less than half the price of Photo Rag.
        I love Photo Rag, but it's outrageously expensive, and Alpha looks just as
        good. It's an acid free cotton rag paper without OBA's so should be very
        archival.

        They have 24", 36" and 44" rolls. I suggest getting one of them and cut them
        to size. You'll also need a modified roll holder for the big rolls.

        I get mine from http://www.fotomayr <http://www.fotomayr.de/,> .de/, but I'm
        not sure where to get them
        in New Zealand.

        --
        Daniel Staver
        http://daniel. <http://daniel.staver.no> staver.no

        > I wondered if anyone could suggest a matte 13" roll paper for
        > my Epson 2200 - I have started doing a few panoramas that
        > might have commercial appeal, but don't fancy a chromira
        > print - I'd rather do it myself.

      • Paul Roark
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2006
          I just took a quick look at the prices, and it appears the Alpha at the
          outlet below is about the same price that U.S. buyers pay for Epson
          UltraSmooth and Premier Art Hot Press 325. The Premier Art 205 is what I
          use in rolls, in part (OK, perhaps mostly), because it is a lot cheaper.
          Can you get this (http://www.atlex.com/premier/fine-art-205.htm) paper in
          Europe?

          Paul

          www.PaulRoark.com <http://www.paulroark.com/>

          _____

          I've recently settled on Permajet Alpha 310g for all my fine art printing.
          The main reason is that I get it for less than half the price of Photo Rag.
          I love Photo Rag, but it's outrageously expensive, and Alpha looks just as
          good. It's an acid free cotton rag paper without OBA's so should be very
          archival.

          They have 24", 36" and 44" rolls. I suggest getting one of them and cut them
          to size. You'll also need a modified roll holder for the big rolls.

          I get mine from http://www.fotomayr <http://www.fotomayr.de/,> .de/, but I'm
          not sure where to get them
          in New Zealand.

          --
          Daniel Staver
          http://daniel. <http://daniel.staver.no> staver.no

          > I wondered if anyone could suggest a matte 13" roll paper for
          > my Epson 2200 - I have started doing a few panoramas that
          > might have commercial appeal, but don't fancy a chromira
          > print - I'd rather do it myself.

        • Daniel Staver
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1, 2006
            Well, in my experience shipping paper from US to Norway is usually more expensive than the paper itself. I'm not sure if it's equally expensive the other way... In general shipping within Europe seems to be much more reasonable though. I paid €32 for shipping 100 sheets of 13x19 and 100 sheets of A4 Permajet Alpha from Germany to Norway. Not bad at all. Here in Norway 50 sheets of 308g 13x19 Photo Rag is about $400.

            --
            Daniel Staver
            http://daniel.staver.no

            > I really like Permajet Alpha. It's just not distributed in
            > the U.S. None of the Innova papers are like it. I wonder
            > what the cost of shipping to the U.S. would be.
          • horstenj
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2006
              --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Staver"
              <daniel@...> wrote:

              > Well, in my experience shipping paper from US to Norway is usually
              more expensive than the paper itself. I'm not sure if it's equally
              expensive the other way... In general shipping within Europe seems
              to be much more reasonable though. I paid €32 for shipping 100
              sheets of 13x19 and 100 sheets of A4 Permajet Alpha from Germany to
              Norway. Not bad at all. Here in Norway 50 sheets of 308g 13x19 Photo
              Rag is about $400.

              Daniel,

              That is outrageously expensive! Here in the Netherlands I pay 166
              euro for 50 sheets A3+ (13"x19") 308 gr Photo Rag. Actually I
              settled for A3 (30x41cm) which is just a bit smaller but per m2 much
              cheaper (50 sheets for 108 euro). Are you sure you can't get a
              better deal??

              Joost
            • Brian
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 2, 2006
                From: horstenj
                > Well, in my experience shipping paper from US to Norway is usually
                more expensive than the paper itself. I'm not sure if it's equally
                expensive the other way... In general shipping within Europe seems
                to be much more reasonable though. I paid â,¬32 for shipping 100
                sheets of 13x19 and 100 sheets of A4 Permajet Alpha from Germany to
                Norway. Not bad at all. Here in Norway 50 sheets of 308g 13x19 Photo
                Rag is about $400.

                Hi
                You could try Warehouse Express in the UK - see
                http://www.warehouseexpress.com/index.cfm?photo/printers/epson.html&gclid=CP2ktc7O_4cCFURBEgodiB-3Hg#4800!GCID=S18120x002&KEYWORD=Stylus+Pro+4800

                A3+ Alpha costs £78 for 50 sheets - less than Joost pays.

                Brian*
              • Brian
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 2, 2006
                  > Well, in my experience shipping paper from US to Norway is usually
                  more expensive than the paper itself. I'm not sure if it's equally
                  expensive the other way... In general shipping within Europe seems
                  to be much more reasonable though. I paid â,¬32 for shipping 100
                  sheets of 13x19 and 100 sheets of A4 Permajet Alpha from Germany to
                  Norway. Not bad at all. Here in Norway 50 sheets of 308g 13x19 Photo
                  Rag is about $400.

                  Hi
                  You could try Warehouse Express in the UK - see
                  http://www.warehouseexpress.com/index.cfm?photo/printers/epson.html&gclid=CP2ktc7O_4cCFURBEgodiB-3Hg#4800!GCID=S18120x002&KEYWORD=Stylus+Pro+4800

                  A3+ Alpha costs £78 for 50 sheets - less than Joost pays.

                  Brian*

                  Sorry - link Yahooed. http://www.warehouseexpress.com Click on Digital,
                  Inkjet Paper, Permajet, Papers.

                  Brian
                • Daniel Staver
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 2, 2006
                    Thanks! Their prices are very good. I didn't see shipping prices for
                    Norway, but will send them a mail and ask.

                    --
                    Daniel Staver
                    http://daniel.staver.no

                    > You could try Warehouse Express in the UK - see
                    > A3+ Alpha costs £78 for 50 sheets - less than Joost pays.
                  • Richard Smallfield
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 2, 2006
                      Hi Daniel & co,
                      thanks so much for all your input.

                      Thanks for the tip about the Permajet papers - Euroconz.com have it in Auckland.

                      At 12:29 AM Thursday 11/2/2006, you wrote:
                      >I've recently settled on Permajet Alpha 310g for all my fine art printing.
                      >The main reason is that I get it for less than half the price of Photo Rag.
                      >I love Photo Rag, but it's outrageously expensive,

                      I paid about NZ$350 for 50 A3 sheets of Photorag 308 at Aarque Graphics ... I'll have to phone Euroco and see what the Permajet sells for.

                      >They have 24", 36" and 44" rolls. I suggest getting one of them and cut them
                      >to size. You'll also need a modified roll holder for the big rolls.

                      They have all these sizes at Euroco ... I'm not sure what to do about modifying the roll holder though. What is necessary? It's disappointing that Epson did not set the printer up better for these papers and that they don't come in 13" width.

                      thanks,
                      Richard
                      --
                      http://smallfield.vze.com
                      http://photos.smallfield.vze.com (Photos web site)

                      "We are more easily led part by part to an understanding of
                      the whole."
                      --Lucius Annaeus Seneca, the Younger 4 B.C. - A.D. 65
                    • Richard Smallfield
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 2, 2006
                        Hi again,
                        Euroco has been taken over by Apix and they don't have these Permajet papers any more, alas, because no one bought them!

                        So all I can get in New Zealand is Epson Enhanced Matte in a 30m roll, cut to size by Aarque Graphics.

                        I normally only use this paper for proofing as I don't like the mottling in the shadows and it goes yellow so fast.

                        Maybe I'll just have to use it and frame with UV glass to stop the yellowing.

                        thanks to you all for your help,
                        Richard
                        --
                        http://smallfield.vze.com
                        http://photos.smallfield.vze.com (Photos web site)
                        http://warkworth.vze.com/ (Warkworth photo essay)

                        "Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo."
                        --H. G. Wells (1866-1946)
                      • Daniel Staver
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 3, 2006
                          Yes, printer paper and ink in Norway is incredibly expensive. I might be
                          able to save $50 or so if I find a really good deal here, but that's still
                          far too expensive.

                          20 sheets of Epson VFA is about $135, also very expensive

                          I buy all my ink from MIS and all my paper from other countries. I'm not
                          sure I could afford to do this if I bought everything here.

                          --
                          Daniel Staver
                          http://daniel.staver.no

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 3, 2006
                            How much is shipping from Europe to New Zealand? For me even ordering from
                            overseas is cheaper than buying local, but I'm not sure what the prices are
                            in your part of the world...

                            --
                            Daniel Staver
                            http://daniel.staver.no