Aluminum thickness for mounting large prints?

  • mitcha@mac.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
      I print with Ultrachrome inks on Epson Premium Semi-Matte paper which
      is then laminated. I want to mount these 24x36 inch (60x90cm) prints
      on aluminum sheets for an eventual exhibition. What thickness should
      the aluminum sheets be (1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm)?

      Obviously, thicker sheets will flex less but I figure that, if the
      prints mounted the aluminum sheets are then hung on a gallery wall
      (using double-sided adhesive tape?), flexing should not be a problem
      -- so that I should be able to use 1mm aluminum sheets. Is that right?

      I like the idea of selling prints mounted this way because the buyer
      can then frame them any way he or she desires -- the prints have a
      1/2 inch white border and, as they are laminated, can be framed
      without glass.

      --Mitch/Bangkok
    • jcap40
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
        I mount on Dural which is probably around 3mm thick. The material is a
        lamination of brushed finish aluminum, plastic and plain aluminum. It
        is substantial but light in weight. I use aluminum blocks glued to back
        with construction adhesive (usually used to hang mirrors on walls). I
        then attach hanging wire to blocks so it can then be mounted
        conventionally (hammer a nail into wall and hang). Double faced tape
        tends to be destructive to both surfaces but I would be interested in
        more info on that.

        thanks, Capuozzo

        --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com, mitcha@m... wrote:
        > I print with Ultrachrome inks on Epson Premium Semi-Matte paper
        which
        > is then laminated. I want to mount these 24x36 inch (60x90cm) prints
        > on aluminum sheets for an eventual exhibition. What thickness should
        > the aluminum sheets be (1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm)?
        >
        > Obviously, thicker sheets will flex less but I figure that, if the
        > prints mounted the aluminum sheets are then hung on a gallery wall
        > (using double-sided adhesive tape?), flexing should not be a problem
        > -- so that I should be able to use 1mm aluminum sheets. Is that right?
        >
        > I like the idea of selling prints mounted this way because the buyer
        > can then frame them any way he or she desires -- the prints have a
        > 1/2 inch white border and, as they are laminated, can be framed
        > without glass.
        >
        > --Mitch/Bangkok
      • ellery
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2005
          Mitch

          a point I like to raise is that even at 1mm it is very possible to bend the
          alumium sheet. If you mount with double sided tape and it is one those good
          stick wide strip, your unmounting experience could be either a bent alumium
          sheet with or without a crumpled print. I like the idea of alumium as a
          mounting base it is not likely to have a chemical reaction to kill the
          prints or flex and dimensional change as mounting board.

          ellery

          --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com, mitcha@m... wrote:
          > I print with Ultrachrome inks on Epson Premium Semi-Matte paper
          which
          > is then laminated. I want to mount these 24x36 inch (60x90cm) prints
          > on aluminum sheets for an eventual exhibition. What thickness should
          > the aluminum sheets be (1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm)?
          >
          > Obviously, thicker sheets will flex less but I figure that, if the
          > prints mounted the aluminum sheets are then hung on a gallery wall
          > (using double-sided adhesive tape?), flexing should not be a problem
          > -- so that I should be able to use 1mm aluminum sheets. Is that right?
          >
          > I like the idea of selling prints mounted this way because the buyer
          > can then frame them any way he or she desires -- the prints have a
          > 1/2 inch white border and, as they are laminated, can be framed
          > without glass.
          >
          > --Mitch/Bangkok

        • Chris Hargens
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2005
            What are you using to laminate your prints?

            Chris Hargens

            --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com, mitcha@m... wrote:
            > I print with Ultrachrome inks on Epson Premium Semi-Matte paper
            which
            > is then laminated. I want to mount these 24x36 inch (60x90cm) prints
            > on aluminum sheets for an eventual exhibition. What thickness should
            > the aluminum sheets be (1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm)?
            >
            > Obviously, thicker sheets will flex less but I figure that, if the
            > prints mounted the aluminum sheets are then hung on a gallery wall
            > (using double-sided adhesive tape?), flexing should not be a problem
            > -- so that I should be able to use 1mm aluminum sheets. Is that right?
            >
            > I like the idea of selling prints mounted this way because the buyer
            > can then frame them any way he or she desires -- the prints have a
            > 1/2 inch white border and, as they are laminated, can be framed
            > without glass.
            >
            > --Mitch/Bangkok
          • alland20854
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4, 2005
              > What are you using to laminate your prints?

              The prints are laminated by a lab using a cold lamination machine. I use a glossy laminate.

              --Mitch/Bangkok
            • Timothy Atherton
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 4, 2005

                > --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com, mitcha@m... wrote:
                > > I print with Ultrachrome inks on Epson Premium Semi-Matte paper
                > which
                > > is then laminated. I want to mount these 24x36 inch (60x90cm) prints
                > > on aluminum sheets for an eventual exhibition. What thickness should
                > > the aluminum sheets be (1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm)?
                > >
                > > Obviously, thicker sheets will flex less but I figure that, if the
                > > prints mounted the aluminum sheets are then hung on a gallery wall
                > > (using double-sided adhesive tape?), flexing should not be a problem
                > > -- so that I should be able to use 1mm aluminum sheets. Is that right?
                > >
                > > I like the idea of selling prints mounted this way because the buyer
                > > can then frame them any way he or she desires -- the prints have a
                > > 1/2 inch white border and, as they are laminated, can be framed
                > > without glass.
                > >
                > > --Mitch/Bangkok

                Not sure how easy it is to find in Bangkok - but try 3mm (I think) brushed
                aluminium Dibond (or possibly Alcubond) - aluminium composites - lighter and
                stronger - from Alcan - contact them for samples and stockists.

                They look good if the aluminium is cut larger than the print

                It's used as building cladding

                tim
              • Timothy Atherton
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 4, 2005