Re: Creamy colors?

  • Bernie Ess
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 1, 2004
      --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com, claudej1@a...
      wrote:
      > I have been using the original 3-chip Foveon (1999) for 4.5 years
      now. I have
      > also experienced the SD-9 with the X3 chip, which I suggested they
      develop.

      Which chip are you talking about? The prototype? ANd how are you
      using it, with what camera? Was it the square shaped 2000x2000 pixel
      thing?

      > What aspect are you referring to that needs perfecting? It
      outperfoms all 6
      > megapixel monochips right now in all respects except for ISO higher
      than 400.

      That was not my experience: I had the SD9 here for a week- end, and
      while there is a lot of detail resolution, the noise was visible from
      ISO 100, getting a problem in the darker shadow areas from ISO 200
      and too much for my taste at ISO 400. Due to the higher noise the
      photos didn't perform too well in up- rezzing either.

      > In fact, it gives the 11 megapixel Canon a run for it's money.

      A nice story, but I yet need to see samples that can convince me. I
      like such David versus Goliath stuff. Can you direct me to samples
      that
      illustrate your claim?

      > I can't think of a better camera for Black and White work for less
      than
      > $1,000

      I use the Fuji S2 and have had very good results up to 13x19
      converted to black and white. The few examples of the SD9 that I
      uprezzed didn' t look as good as the S2ยด, although its detail
      resolution in the original output size (3,3MP) was quite amazing.

      > and Sigma lenses are very good and 1/3 the price of Nikon/Canon.

      This is a general claim that doesn't make sense, as it is a well
      known fact that for one manufacturer there are always better and
      worse lenses, for example the relatively new 24-135mm Sigma only got
      mediocre ratings. Even the higly praised 70-200 has often been
      reported to be a bit too soft.

      Regards and a satisfying and happy new year,

      Bernhard
    • Martin Wesley
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 1, 2004
        This thread has wandered off the topic for this group, digital B&W printing.
        Please end off or take the discussion off-list.

        Thank you for your cooperation.

        Group Moderators

        "Users who repeatedly make off topic posts may have their ability to post
        restricted or their membership terminated at the discretion of the group
        Owner and/or Moderators. By participating in this forum users agree that
        what constitutes an off topic post is solely at the discretion of the group
        Owner and/or Moderators This may sound harsh but from experience it is
        essential to maintaining a high quality and useful forum."