Just starting, seek printer recommendation

  • William M. Gatesman
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
      I want to set up a digital darkroom to do black and white work with quadtone
      inks. I am considering a Nikon 8000E scanner. I am unsure about which
      printer to purchase. Some ink sellers recommend Epson 3000 (apparently
      still available new) and Epson 1160 (discontinued and very hard if not
      impossible to find from my review of web vendors). I note also that MIS now
      has software to "recharge" the chip on Epson ink cartridges -- does this
      allow one to use quadtone inks with the newer printers that use cartridges
      with microchips.

      To cut to the chase, if you were starting fresh, what printer would you buy
      (excluding the Epson 7000 which is beyond my budget) for inhome use? And,
      notwithstanding your answer to that question, is there another printer you
      might also recommend? Why?

      I would appreciate any comments or advice you might share concerning this
      issue.
      William M. Gatesman
      P.O. Box 3809
      Silver Spring, MD 20918
      Phone(301)681-3377
      Fax (301) 681-9849
      wgates@...

    • Nij
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
        Hi William,

        There are many 'files' in this group that have very useful information about
        possible choices for the manufacturer / supplier of quadtone ink solutions.
        I mean, ways to print B&W !

        Unfortunately, you choice of ink suppier may define your choice of printer,
        as for Conetech Piezoghraphy I would recommend an older printer like the
        1200 or 1160 if you can get one, or wait a VERY short while before the 1290
        is supported. But, with Piezo, you gain no advantage from running a six
        colour printer, IMO.

        MIS VM inks do benefit from the lastest 2880 dpi printers.

        I personally like (and resell) Piezo BW. I have some MIS VM inks and if I
        like them (when I get round to trying them!) I might consider reselling them
        also. There are also quadtone alternatives from Lyson, Lincoln Inks, and
        alternatives from MIS etc etc... many of which for some reason have not
        received as much discussion on this list.

        Whichever way, don't worry about those nasty chips - there are ways an means
        of circumventing them, be they '100% full chips' on the NoMoreCarts CIS or
        alternative means through MIS software... though either solution will cost
        you a little more compared to the ink systems for older non-chipped carts.

        Nij

      • Martin Wesley
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
          William,

          Both the 3000 and the 1160 have the longest track record with quad
          inks and have the most options available. If you need to do 17" wide
          prints then the 3000 is the first choice. The 1520 is still available
          from Epson new. I never hear anthing about this printer fro quads but
          I gather it has transport problems.

          I would proceed with caution in buying a new 3000. Stocks seem to be
          dwindling and some of the retailers out there are less then honest.
          People looking for new 1160's have ordered on the assurance that the
          printer was in stock only to find that there money was being held
          while the retailer waited for some to come in.

          I would recommend the 1160 but my confidence level in your finding
          one is not high.

          Both printers are available new from Europe but you will have to deal
          with shipping costs, duty and possibly a lack of warrentee support
          from Epson.

          Of the new, in production printers the 1280 looks to be the way to
          go. Piezo for the 1280 has been promised this week and the MIS VM
          inks can also be used. I suspect this may become the next quad
          standard if Epson doesn't replace it too quickly. The quad ink
          manufacturers are having a hard time keeping up with Epson's ever
          changing product line-up.

          Martin

          --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@y..., "William M. Gatesman"
          <wgates@a...> wrote:
          > I want to set up a digital darkroom to do black and white work with
          quadtone
          > inks. I am considering a Nikon 8000E scanner. I am unsure about
          which
          > printer to purchase. Some ink sellers recommend Epson 3000
          (apparently
          > still available new) and Epson 1160 (discontinued and very hard if
          not
          > impossible to find from my review of web vendors). I note also
          that MIS now
          > has software to "recharge" the chip on Epson ink cartridges -- does
          this
          > allow one to use quadtone inks with the newer printers that use
          cartridges
          > with microchips.
          >
          > To cut to the chase, if you were starting fresh, what printer would
          you buy
          > (excluding the Epson 7000 which is beyond my budget) for inhome
          use? And,
          > notwithstanding your answer to that question, is there another
          printer you
          > might also recommend? Why?
          >
          > I would appreciate any comments or advice you might share
          concerning this
          > issue.
          > William M. Gatesman
          > P.O. Box 3809
          > Silver Spring, MD 20918
          > Phone(301)681-3377
          > Fax (301) 681-9849
          > wgates@a...

        • Steadman Uhlich
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
            Simple solution for a beginning:

            1. Buy an Epson 8xx format printer that is cheap (about $199 or less)

            2. Buy the PiezoBW software and a set of PiezoBW carts. The software has profiles for over 27 papers.

            3. Buy a sample pak of various papers from Inkjetmall.com

            4. Calibrate your monitor.

            5. Follow the simple instructions (to the letter) that come with the PiezoBW software.

            6. Be amazed!

            7. After you have been suitably amazed....then experiment with different papers. Later, you can decide if you need a wide format printer and also if you need to buy a CIS...or if you want to try carts with other inks such as the MISFS.

            8. If you are not amazed, you still have a decent office printer and have only spent the money on a set of carts and some software (the expensive part).

            Good luck,
            Steadman

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
              Steadman,

              A good piece of advice and a very reasonable way to jump in and test
              the waters.

              I just need to throw in that Epson has killed the 8xx series except
              for the 890, which is not supported by Piezo. Also that Piezo is not
              available for the 870 or the 875.

              I think the best bet for the approach you out line is the 980 (~$199)
              which is supposed to be a very robust printer. The Piezo kit for this
              is $335 so you can get going for around $550 or less. The 980 is the
              only remaining unchipped cartridge printer in the Epson line and has
              gone "Temporarily Out of Stock" on the Epson store. I suspect that
              its days are numbered so get one quick.

              I don't have any info on the availability of refurbished 800, 850 or
              860 models but they may be out there.

              Martin

              --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@y..., "Steadman Uhlich"

              Service.

            • Sam A. McCandless
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
                What's the case for an 8xx printer instead of the also-inexpensive
                980? I thought I might get one of those to reproduce some old family
                photos (all BW prints (no negs), all small, all warm, no glossy) I
                want to share with my relatives.

                Sam

              • Steadman Uhlich
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
                  Sam,
                  Just check with Inkjetmall and get a printer that is supported by their software and has carts or CIS available. Check their website for info.

                  Steadman
                  What's the case for an 8xx printer instead of the also-inexpensive
                  980? I thought I might get one of those to reproduce some old family
                  photos (all BW prints (no negs), all small, all warm, no glossy) I
                  want to share with my relatives.

                  Sam

                  >Simple solution for a beginning:
                  >
                  >1. Buy an Epson 8xx format printer that is cheap (about $199 or less)
                  >
                  >2. Buy the PiezoBW software and a set of PiezoBW carts. The
                  >software has profiles for over 27 papers.
                  >
                  >3. Buy a sample pak of various papers from Inkjetmall.com
                  >
                  >4. Calibrate your monitor.
                  >
                  >5. Follow the simple instructions (to the letter) that come with
                  >the PiezoBW software.
                  >
                  >6. Be amazed!
                  >
                  >7. After you have been suitably amazed....then experiment with
                  >different papers. Later, you can decide if you need a wide format
                  >printer and also if you need to buy a CIS...or if you want to try
                  >carts with other inks such as the MISFS.
                  >
                  >8. If you are not amazed, you still have a decent office printer
                  >and have only spent the money on a set of carts and some software
                  >(the expensive part).
                  >
                  >Good luck,
                  >Steadman

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor