Re: VM Ink Positions - can anyone help?

  • scrber
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
      HI Paul, thanks for the response, that would be a great help,
      certainly on my 1290 the curves are pretty unusable at the minute, I
      seem to have the same noise/grain issue as Doug Fisher on his 1160
      (only on the tone positions) and a horrible hole at around 80%. I
      dropped you a mail offlist.

      Kind regards

      Steve.

      --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Roark"
      <paul.roark@v...> wrote:
      > MIS is sending me a 1280 and a production run of Ultra Tone inks.
      So, maybe
      > I'll be able to tell what is going on with that platform and the
      production
      > UT inks. Given the popularity of the printer, I'll probably make a
      new
      > cross-platform set of curves that are tailored to the new inkset.
      >
      > Paul
      > http://www.PaulRoark.com

      Pauls
      > 1290 curves, both of them give me _way_ better results.
      >
      > You could also try Roy's QuadtoneRIP which has some really nice
      curve
      > development tools included (and it's free! :) )
      >
      > --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com, "scrber"
      > <stephen.bate@m...> wrote:
      > > I am still worried that my new Ultratone inks may be wrongly
      > > labelled due to the issues I am having with the curves. I have
      > > triple checked my installation - it is OK and the ink order is :
      > > K - black
      > > C - Dark grey
      > > M - Dark blue toner
      > > Y - light grey
      > > PC - Mid grey
      > > PM - light blue toner.
      > >
      > > IS this correct? I couldn't find info on the positions anywhere,
      > > short reply would be a great help.
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > >
      > > Steve
      >

      > Please visit the Group Homepage to check the Files, Bookmarks,
      Polls and
      > other resources as they are often being updated. The page is at:

      > If you wish to receive no emails or just a daily digest, or you
      wish to
      > unsubscribe, please edit your Membership preferences by visiting
      this same
      > page.
      >
      > Please follow these basic guidelines:
      > - Include your full name with your message.
      > - Include the address of your website, if you have one.
      > - As threads develop, trim off excess portions of earlier messages
      to keep
      > them short.
      > - As the topic of a thread changes remember to change the subject
      header.
      > - Good manners are required at all time. No personal attacks or
      > &amp;amp;quot;flames.&amp;amp;quot;
      > - Complete your Yahoo profile.
      > - Before posting a question, search the message archives and the
      various
      > resources on the homepage.
      >

      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • scrber
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
        Paul, will you also be tuning the curves for the 1290, I seem to
        remember the two printers were different enough to have a significant
        effect on the output. If you no longer have a 1290, would it help if
        I posted you prints from the 1290 using the new 1280 curves? Or is
        the workflow more involved than this?

        <paul.roark@v...> wrote:
        > MIS is sending me a 1280 and a production run of Ultra Tone inks.
        So, maybe
        > I'll be able to tell what is going on with that platform and the
        production
        > UT inks. Given the popularity of the printer, I'll probably make a
        new
        > cross-platform set of curves that are tailored to the new inkset.
        >
        > Paul
        > http://www.PaulRoark.com

      • Paul Roark
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2003
          Steve,

          >Paul, will you also be tuning the curves for the 1290,

          No, I have no plans to do more with that printer. The existing curves
          should work fine with the new Ultra Tone inks -- at least once the beta
          testing is completed.

          > I seem to remember the two printers were different enough
          >to have a significant effect on the output.

          True.

          >If you no longer have a 1290, would it help if
          >I posted you prints from the 1290 using the new 1280 curves? Or is
          >the workflow more involved than this?

          Thanks, but I doubt that would be an efficient way to go about it. I really
          don't think modifications will be needed.

          Paul
          http://www.PaulRoark.com