Re: Yellow EAM (Outback curve)

  • Chris Hargens
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
      I'd like to experiment with the curve you mentioned, but I couldn't
      find it at the Outback site. Could you direct me to it? Thanks.

      Chris Hargens

      --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@y..., "A. Huntley"
      <prasepe@a...> wrote:
      > Don't know if this message made it to the group because I received
      something back from Yahoo indicating that it bounced...so...I'm
      trying again...

      > I know this hasn't been discussed lately but, recently, I picked up
      a box of 8.5x11 EAM from my local CompUSA (batch 02CC2004M) for
      experimenting with some B&W conversions of color images. Immediately
      upon pulling the first print off the printer I noticed that it looked
      slightly different from what I was used to seeing. Remembering the
      discussions on this forum about "yellowish" EAM with newer lot
      numbers, I pulled out my trusty supply of "old" A3 EAM and compared
      the two. The newer paper was visibly more yellow than the old!

      > Feeling the desperation begin to set in--what will I print on when
      my A3 (my primary size) runs out?--I began experimenting with Photo
      Rag; my favorite paper when I used Piezo inks. I selected a grayscale
      image that I was very familiar with and began printing it using
      Paul's neutral-cool and warm-neutral curves along with gamma
      adjustments, and toner variation via the yellow slider. I should
      mention that all my quads are produced on an 1160 with MIS VM inkset,
      and Paul's curves for this printer. My goal was to match, as closely
      as possible, the same image previously printed with the Piezo driver
      and PiezoTone ST inks. Figuring that the ST inks had warmed some I
      knew that an exact match certainly wouldn't be possible. But, I was
      just looking for something close...and I think I found a possible
      solution. Using the warm-neutral curve with the yellow slider set on
      0 (that is, no change) and applying a +1 contrast adjustment curve
      that I downloaded from outbackphoto.com, I was able to produce just
      about the most stunning print of this particular image, to date. And,
      though the tonality was not exactly the same as the Piezo print
      (naturally) the overall and local contrast was just about a dead
      match. The VM print...somehow...look brighter, though! I was very
      excited, and plan to experiment with this technique further using
      other images.

      > Just thought I'd let the group know the ramblings of yet another
      quad printer pushing for something "a little different" and a "little
      better!"

      > Happy printing,
      > Alan

    • Stephen Kobrin
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
        Chris,

        It is obscure, but you will find it at
        http://www.outbackphoto.com/workshop/photoshop_corner/essay_17/essay.h
        tml

        The downloads are at the bottom of the page.

        I have been using an adjustment layer with an s curve before I print
        and it often helps a lot. While I am relatively new to quad
        printing, at least on my system, the monitor image needs to be a
        little bit exagerated to get some snap into the print.

        Steve

        --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@y..., "Chris Hargens" <ldmr@c...>