[Digital BW] Re: Epson 1430 and CIS for B&W

  • mccarvill
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2013
      > if MIS will make and sell it, a UT14-LLC

      MIS is selling it now. Any idea what the ratio of LC to base is? It's not listed on their Web site.

      Thanks,

      Mark

      --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com, Paul Roark <roark.paul@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/UT14.pdf .
      >
      > Eboni is matte paper only; UT14 can do it all, but there are other
      > compromises (no free lunch here).
      >
      > Eboni carbon, due to its lightfastness and low cost, plays a large roll in
      > my printing. Many, including myself, often want more neutrality than 100%
      > carbon can achieve. Thus, I've put together modifications of the Eboni-6
      > inkset that achieve this.
      > See http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/Eboni-4-Plus.pdf This inkset can do
      > outstanding matte prints and good neutral glossy ones.
      >
      > I currently have 2 1400s: one with Eboni in it, and one with Epson-Noritsu
      > dyes in it. I have more profiles for the Eboni based systems than for the
      > UT14 system. Both are Epson driver compatible. While I use QTR for most
      > of my printing, having the Epson driver available can be very handy and a
      > good place to starts.
      >
      > The dye approach requires some mixing. See
      > http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/1400-Claria-Noritsu-2K2LK.pdf For a CIS,
      > the cost of the Noritsu carts ($186 per 500 ml cart) may be a bit
      > off-putting. For longevity, it's not bad, but not in the same league as
      > carbon.
      >
      > In my printing, Eboni carbon on matte paper is for longevity and the high
      > end of fine art. The dyes are for glossy, high-impact prints -- what I
      > call "eye candy." They make great cards and sell.
      >
      > For my college kid I set up an Eboni CIS system. The Eboni CIS system
      > lasted 4 years. The CIS does need weekly agitation for the best
      > consistency. (Actually, the CIS was what I call "Carbon-6," Eboni diluted
      > with generic base. See http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/Ink-Mixing.pdf )
      >
      > ... pigment, and glossy as well as matte?
      > >
      > I'd look carefully at http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/Eboni-4-Plus.pdf
      >
      > I also
      > > should note that there are periods I might not print for 2-3 weeks, so if
      > > that is a deal breaker for pigment, so be it.
      > >

      > The 1400 is very tolerant in this respect. Other factors include the
      > amount of binder in the ink. The dilute Eboni positions have almost none,
      > and thus virtually never clog. Eboni MK will clog just like any MK
      > pigment, but no worse, from what I can tell. The 1430 should be able to
      > handle the periods you're dealing with.
      >
      > The glossy compatible pigments can also clog. Again, I think the 1430
      > should be able to handle it. I think the HP PK and LK options may be a bit
      > better in this regard than the MIS UT14C and LC. But I think either will
      > be fine.
      >
      > (p.s.: Willing to spray overcoat if need be.)
      > >

      > The less you have to do the better. I spray the dye prints for display,
      > but it's toxic and not good for the environment. I no longer have any
      > interest in supporting glop or multi-pass workflows; too many problems. In
      > fact, for UT14, I'd not put in the Y position glop but go for a second
      > UT14-LC (or, if MIS will make and sell it, a UT14-LLC). This would require

    • Paul Roark
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2013
        Yes, the UT14-LLC is 30% of UT14 LC or 9% of UT14-C.

        It fills in the holes for a number of potential inksets, including taking
        UT14 to the K3 printer base. So, with UT14-LLC, the MIS ink selection
        covers a lot of territory.

        As to a distinct UT1430, including profiles, I have not done any more.

        Paul
        www.PaulRoark.com

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2013
          Thanks, Paul.