Re: Epson 1400 'Streaking'

  • remononaz1
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 9 6:38 AM
      This Saturday morning I took a closer look at this problem. A scan of the printed image and a crop of the Photoshop image, along with a full image so you can get a sense of scale, are posted at http://sdrv.ms/Y1V9Lg.

      In the scan you cannot actually see the issue I see in the print. In the print you really have to look at the image from the side to see the vertical 'streaking', which can better be described as a waviness.

      However, looking at the print through a loop (a real one, not Lr) you can see what looks like very fine scratches in the areas where the waviness is. You can see this in the file 'Longfellow scan' best when viewed in PS at 25% resolution. The original image does have some noise that you can see in the crop and it is in the print. Zooming in on the scan to 50% you can see more visible vertical lines, which are not the waviness, but I think they are related.

      In the scanned image, I see these lines and they may be defects, but I also see that the dot pattern is consistent and is not displaying any obvious clogging. I looked at my Northlight test image for this paper and ink and do not see the line condition in any of the areas that have a similar tone.

      I guess my question is, is this just the way images look when printed in grayscale with a printer of the caliber of a 1400 or is there a problem with the printer? Or am I just chasing windmill?