[Digital BW] Re: Dead R1800 for 3MK-what next ? 1900 ?

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 27, 2013
      Thanks, Paul,

      I studied the pdfs on the links you sent... one thing I forgot to mention is that I find the 3MK approach has a strong appeal to me in its simplicity and economy. I'm not quite ready to embark on the next step in my learning curve! I hasten to add I'm impressed and grateful for your contributions to the b/w printing community but I may take a pass for now.

      Best regards,

      Paul

      --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com, Paul Roark <roark.paul@...> wrote:

      > Paul <paulmwhiting@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > ... I've had my R1800 for five years, using 3MK cartridges - so far so
      > > good. I've been wondering which way to go when and if mine bites the dust.
      > >
      > Staying with a 1.5 pl Epson printer that is supported by QTR is the key.
      >
      > Right after I bought it Paul was perfecting the 1400 and the Eboni 6
      > > approach, so I had a bit of buyers remorse.
      > >

      > You can run Eboni/Carbon-6 on an 1800 along with still having the 3-MK
      > workflow available.
      > See http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/Eboni-1800.pdf
      >

      > > ... I have some 3MK prints in a local gallery and the owner asked me how I
      > > got such smooth carbon prints!
      > >
      > I only had a problem with the 3-MK workflow with images that had clear gray
      > skies.
      >
      > With a 1.5 pl printer, one of the approaches I like is to run QTR with 50%
      > of the image printed with Eboni-6 and 50% printed with Black Only (1400 BO
      > or 1800 3-MK). The combined image is smooth enough for almost any image.
      > Black only printing is generally more neutral in tone than Eboni-6. So,
      > it gives more control over image tone.
      >
      > See http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/R1800-No-OBA-Paper.pdf and
      > http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/R1800-OBA-Papers.pdf for 3-MK (Black
      > only) print tones.
      >
      > Paul
      > www.PaulRoark.com

    • Paul Roark
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 27, 2013
        The easiest way to have a 50% black only (or 3-MK) plus 50% Eboni-6 is to
        blend those two profiles with the sliders in QTR. So, you'd make the
        individual profiles as usual. The 3-MK takes a hand drawn basic curve, but
        that curve and how to use it are explained in the QTR profiles for the 1800.

        Paul
        www.PaulRoark.com

        On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 2:31 AM, bobtail75 <cperfect594@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > That 50/50 idea sounds interesting, if it gets the best of both worlds in
        > print quality.What would the QTR workflow be ?
        >
        > I'm currently looking at a 'low mieage' 1800 or 1400, but noone so far has
        > commented on using the 1900.
        >

        > --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com, Paul Roark wrote:
        > >
        > > Paul wrote:
        > >
        > > > **
        >

        > > > ... I've had my R1800 for five years, using 3MK cartridges - so far so
        > > > good. I've been wondering which way to go when and if mine bites the
        > dust.
        > > >
        > > Staying with a 1.5 pl Epson printer that is supported by QTR is the key.
        > >
        > > Right after I bought it Paul was perfecting the 1400 and the Eboni 6
        > > > approach, so I had a bit of buyers remorse.
        > > >

        > > You can run Eboni/Carbon-6 on an 1800 along with still having the 3-MK
        > > workflow available.
        > > See http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/Eboni-1800.pdf
        > >

        > > > ... I have some 3MK prints in a local gallery and the owner asked me
        > how I
        > > > got such smooth carbon prints!
        > > >
        > > I only had a problem with the 3-MK workflow with images that had clear
        > gray
        > > skies.
        > >
        > > With a 1.5 pl printer, one of the approaches I like is to run QTR with
        > 50%
        > > of the image printed with Eboni-6 and 50% printed with Black Only (1400
        > BO
        > > or 1800 3-MK). The combined image is smooth enough for almost any image.
        > > Black only printing is generally more neutral in tone than Eboni-6. So,
        > > it gives more control over image tone.
        > >
        > > See http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/R1800-No-OBA-Paper.pdf and
        > > http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/R1800-OBA-Papers.pdf for 3-MK (Black
        > > only) print tones.
        > >
        > > Paul
        > > www.PaulRoark.com

      • bobtail75
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 28, 2013
          Thank you for that. I am familiar with curve creation using the scanner method for 3MK, so now a whole new exploration can start.
          Chris.