Re: Paper trimmer/cutter recommendation

  • mary@taylorarttechs.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 24, 2011
      I love my Kutrimmer 1080 on a stand and has a peddle to hold paper in place. I've had it for many years and expect I will have it forever. The blade can be sharpened, but I don't know anyone who can do it. I've used it to cut binders board, photo papers, watercolor papers, films, etc and it has saved my arm/shoulder immensely.

      http://www.mbmcorp.com/finishproduct.php?indID=8_3_f

      Mary Taylor
      Mary@...
      http://TaylorArtTechs.com/

      Shows:
      Coastal Printmakers; Singular Impressions,
      James Library Gallery, Oct. 5 - 29, 2011

      Wax-Inc.
      Bancroft Gallery, SSAC, Cohasset, MA
      Nov. 4 � Dec. 21, 2011
      Opening Reception: November 4, 6�8 pm

      DVD: Beyond The Digital Print; customizing surfaces for inkjet printing
      Now Available from My Website

      Upcoming Workshops: Fall 2011
      Taylor Art Studio, Marshfield, MA, October 21 & 22
      International Center of Photography, NY, NY November 5 & 6

    • David
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011
        I have a Carl rotary trimmer that I have been very pleased with:

        http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/757429-REG/Carl_CUI72220_DC_220_15_Heavy_Duty_Rotary.html

        This one looks a little different from mine, but I think it is probably just an aesthetic upgrade.

        This trimmer works differently than the Rotatrim models. Instead of a rotary blade that works against a fixed blade (like a guillotine cutter or like a pair of scissors), in the Carl the rotary blade cuts straight through the paper against a semi-hard surface. I'm sure that this is cheaper to build, and the blade and cutting surface are replaceable. But, it seems to work quite well for modest work loads. Another feature is that the paper is clamped down against the work surface. This adds another two steps in using the trimmer, but the advantage is that the paper definitely stays put. Another bonus is that there are special blades available for scoring or perforating paper. The only part of it that I haven't been pleased with is the magnetic guide for aligning the paper, which I don't find very reliable.

        Another very inexpensive alternative if you just want a step up from a straight edge and X-acto knife is this:

        http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/17524-REG/Falcon_Marshall_MSFPTC_Personal_Size_Paper_Cutter.html

        Despite all appearances, it works very well.

        David
      • Lew Schwartz
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011
          Looks great! If only I had the money and room.