QTR Profiles for R200 and MIS

  • Rusty Sterling
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2011
      I've been looking for profiles for the R200 using the MIS UT-R2 inkset but cannot seem to find them anywhere. QTR only offers GQ profiles in Windows. I'm using a funky profile I set up based on something I read on Clayton Jones website. It works and gives me decent prints in BO, which I am going to use to set up other profiles with Color Munki.

      I'm so glad I have the 2880 with ABW. This RIP stuff for the R200 is challenging, to say the least.
    • Rusty Sterling
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2011
        Thought I'd mention that I have made the same inquiry on the QTR Yahoo group page with no response.

        --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com, "Rusty Sterling" <rustysterling@...> wrote:

        > I've been looking for profiles for the R200 using the MIS UT-R2 inkset but cannot seem to find them anywhere. QTR only offers GQ profiles in Windows. I'm using a funky profile I set up based on something I read on Clayton Jones website. It works and gives me decent prints in BO, which I am going to use to set up other profiles with Color Munki.
        >
        > I'm so glad I have the 2880 with ABW. This RIP stuff for the R200 is challenging, to say the least.

      • Roy
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2011
          You ought to start with the workflow of the one who designed
          the inkset. See Paul Roark's write up about UT-R2.
          (note that the R220 and R200 are essentially identical)

          http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/R220_R2_Readme.pdf

          Roy

          --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com, "Rusty Sterling" <rustysterling@...> wrote:

          > I've been looking for profiles for the R200 using the MIS UT-R2 inkset but cannot seem to find them anywhere. QTR only offers GQ profiles in Windows. I'm using a funky profile I set up based on something I read on Clayton Jones website. It works and gives me decent prints in BO, which I am going to use to set up other profiles with Color Munki.
          >
          > I'm so glad I have the 2880 with ABW. This RIP stuff for the R200 is challenging, to say the least.

        • Paul
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2011

            "Roy" <roy@...> wrote:

            > You ought to start with the workflow of the one who designed
            > the inkset. See Paul Roark's write up about UT-R2.
            > (note that the R220 and R200 are essentially identical)
            >
            > http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/R220_R2_Readme.pdf

            And note the date on that PDF.

            Newer versions of Photoshop and possible even OSs may have trouble with the use of ICCs and the printer driver's "Color Controls."

            The systems now are emphasizing ICCs with the printer set to ICM/No Color Adjustment. This is probably an effort to avoid people using 2 profiles together accidentally.

            I think I agree with the emphasis, but it does make the use of the old workflows problematic.

            I think moving forward ICCs with standardized Epson driver settings may be the easiest way to support the older or smaller market printers. If variables are cut to a minimum, a few generic ICCs will be easy to make and support whole families of printers and inks.

            I'll make a limited number of these for a few papers & printers. The 2880 with a monotone is going to be a platform like this, for example.

            The MIS R2 inkset is one that was made for the Epson driver. That is, it uses densities that usually fit well into the Epson cross-overs and produce a good ramp with the built in default profiles. These are what I've called the UT-C and UT-LC densities. Ut-C is the standardized 30% jump down from MK. (LK is the 30% dilution down from PK.) Dropped into an Epson hextone or better printer, the R2's UT-C and LC densities look good. Add an ICC to make it better. This type of inkset is the easiest to support. That's why it was called the hextone EZ set.

            Paul
            www.PaulRoark.com
          • Rusty Sterling
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2011
              Yow! I hardly understood anything you said. I have read everything you wrote and Clayton Jones wrote.

              Now you latest missive indicates how outdated things might be.

              I just got my new MIS inksets today. Given what I just read I'm still not sure how to use them with QTR for the R200. I'll continue to use my R2880 with ABW, so that is not a problem. But I really want to use these inksets with the R200 effectively.

              I'll read what you said and ponder it. I hope it ultimately helps. We shall see.

              Thanks,

              Rusty

              --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <roark.paul@...> wrote:

              > > --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com, "Rusty Sterling" <rustysterling@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I've been looking for profiles for the R200 ...
              >
              > "Roy" <roy@> wrote:
              > >
              > > You ought to start with the workflow of the one who designed
              > > the inkset. See Paul Roark's write up about UT-R2.
              > > (note that the R220 and R200 are essentially identical)
              > >
              > > http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/R220_R2_Readme.pdf
              > >

              > And note the date on that PDF.
              >
              > Newer versions of Photoshop and possible even OSs may have trouble with the use of ICCs and the printer driver's "Color Controls."
              >
              > The systems now are emphasizing ICCs with the printer set to ICM/No Color Adjustment. This is probably an effort to avoid people using 2 profiles together accidentally.
              >
              > I think I agree with the emphasis, but it does make the use of the old workflows problematic.
              >
              > I think moving forward ICCs with standardized Epson driver settings may be the easiest way to support the older or smaller market printers. If variables are cut to a minimum, a few generic ICCs will be easy to make and support whole families of printers and inks.
              >
              > I'll make a limited number of these for a few papers & printers. The 2880 with a monotone is going to be a platform like this, for example.
              >

              > The MIS R2 inkset is one that was made for the Epson driver. That is, it uses densities that usually fit well into the Epson cross-overs and produce a good ramp with the built in default profiles. These are what I've called the UT-C and UT-LC densities. Ut-C is the standardized 30% jump down from MK. (LK is the 30% dilution down from PK.) Dropped into an Epson hextone or better printer, the R2's UT-C and LC densities look good. Add an ICC to make it better. This type of inkset is the easiest to support. That's why it was called the hextone EZ set.
              >
              > Paul
              > www.PaulRoark.com

            • David Whistance
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3, 2011
                Rusty,

                You mentioned that you have a Colormunki, why not make your own profiles for
                the R220 in QTR? Once you've worked your way through the first one it only
                takes a few minutes for each new profile. I've used that printer with the
                UT-R2 inkset with QTR for years and it makes great prints. I have a mixed
                warm/neutral set of the inks in mine so can vary the tone easily.

                David

                Yow! I hardly understood anything you said. I have read everything you wrote
                and Clayton Jones wrote.

                Now you latest missive indicates how outdated things might be.

                I just got my new MIS inksets today. Given what I just read I'm still not
                sure how to use them with QTR for the R200. I'll continue to use my R2880
                with ABW, so that is not a problem. But I really want to use these inksets
                with the R200 effectively.

                I'll read what you said and ponder it. I hope it ultimately helps. We shall
                see.

                Thanks,

                Rusty

                --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint%40yahoogroups.com> , "Paul"
                <roark.paul@...> wrote:

                > > --- In DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint%40yahoogroups.com> , "Rusty Sterling"
                <rustysterling@> wrote:

                > > > I've been looking for profiles for the R200 ...
                >
                > "Roy" <roy@> wrote:
                > >
                > > You ought to start with the workflow of the one who designed
                > > the inkset. See Paul Roark's write up about UT-R2.
                > > (note that the R220 and R200 are essentially identical)
                > >
                > > http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/R220_R2_Readme.pdf
                > >

                > And note the date on that PDF.
                >
                > Newer versions of Photoshop and possible even OSs may have trouble with
                the use of ICCs and the printer driver's "Color Controls."

                > The systems now are emphasizing ICCs with the printer set to ICM/No Color
                Adjustment. This is probably an effort to avoid people using 2 profiles
                together accidentally.

                > I think I agree with the emphasis, but it does make the use of the old
                workflows problematic.

                > I think moving forward ICCs with standardized Epson driver settings may be
                the easiest way to support the older or smaller market printers. If
                variables are cut to a minimum, a few generic ICCs will be easy to make and
                support whole families of printers and inks.

                > I'll make a limited number of these for a few papers & printers. The 2880
                with a monotone is going to be a platform like this, for example.

                > The MIS R2 inkset is one that was made for the Epson driver. That is, it
                uses densities that usually fit well into the Epson cross-overs and produce
                a good ramp with the built in default profiles. These are what I've called
                the UT-C and UT-LC densities. Ut-C is the standardized 30% jump down from
                MK. (LK is the 30% dilution down from PK.) Dropped into an Epson hextone or
                better printer, the R2's UT-C and LC densities look good. Add an ICC to make
                it better. This type of inkset is the easiest to support. That's why it was
                called the hextone EZ set.

                > Paul
                > www.PaulRoark.com

              • Paul
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 3, 2011
                  "Rusty Sterling" <rustysterling@...> wrote:

                  > Now you latest missive indicates how outdated things might be.

                  How much of the old PDF is still usable depends on the software you're running. Give those workflows a try and see if they work. Even if they don't, the inkset itself, being designed to work with the Epson driver, should be close enough to be easily profiled. In my view, using QTR's Create ICC-RGB may be the easiest way for many to do this. If there are existing QTR profiles for the rip, then that works also.

                  Paul
                  www.PaulRoark.com