Re: Low tech question

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 32 , May 1, 2010
      Susan,

      I agree. I wish there were some of tutorial and/or glossary available here. I've looked at the Files menu here but it's rather sparse and a bit dated. I've stuck to using a very basic setup for now... 3 black cartridges (using Eboni ink by MIS), QTR with the profiles Paul has developed, and one or two papers. Works well for me... but I probably should branch out some day.

      Paul

      > Oh, please, does this finally answer a question I have had for a long time that keeps me from wanting to use QTR -- *** does "linearize" mean the same thing as "create your own profile using MeasureTool and Create_icc.exe" *** ????? If not, what does it mean?
      >
      > I find the available documentation for QTR, once you want to go beyond using built-in curves, rather impenetrable; undefined terms are part of the problem.
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > - susan

    • Rudy Ternbach
      Message 32 of 32 , May 3, 2010
        To calibrate, I was always told, is to measure and adjust the accuracy of an instrument against a standard. To linearize, in my understanding, is to plot output values against input values so that the output function is orderly and reliable. To differentiate a bit more, the first is a way of establishing validity, i.e.--is the device (and its operator) accurately measuring what it is intended to measure. The latter has more to do with reliability, i.e.--will repeated outputs be the same for the same given input. That said, the real value of all of this to me is in providing operational definitions of the steps you perform in doing your work: the procedures, measurement methods, materials and equipment you use to get a specific result.