Land concentration, land grabbing and people’s struggles in Europe

  • Paul Mobbs
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2013
      Land concentration, land grabbing and people's struggles in Europe,
      European Coordination Via Campesina and Hands-Off The Land Alliance,
      17th April 2013

      Main report -- http://www.eurovia.org/IMG/pdf/Land_in_Europe.pdf
      Exec. summary --
      http://www.eurovia.org/IMG/pdf/FINAL_17_avril_14h_HOTL-ECVC-Executive-Summary-.pdf

      Land grabbing is widely assumed to be happening only in the global
      South, but in-depth analysis by a team of researchers shows that land
      grabbing is also creeping in Europe.

      The report, involving 25 authors from 11 countries, reveals the hidden
      scandal of how a few big private business entities have gained control
      of ever-greater areas of European land. It exposes how these land elites
      have been actively supported by a huge injection of public funds – at a
      time when all other public funding is being subjected to massive cuts.
      While some of these processes – in particular ever-increasing land
      concentration -- are not new, they have accelerated in recent decades in
      particular in Eastern Europe. They have also paved the way for a new
      sector of foreign and domestic actors to emerge on the European stage,
      many tied into increasingly global commodity chains, and all looking to
      profit from the increasingly speculative commodity of land.

      (Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

      tel./fax (+44/0)1295 261864
      email - mobbsey@...
      website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
      public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey_public_key-2013.asc