Government releases £14m for community-led housing

  • National Community Land Trust Network by
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2 10:42 AM
      National Community Land Trust Network
      []

      Welcome to our latest newsflash - this isn't quite our normal format, but we have some big news to share - £14 million worth of big news. For more of the rest of the news from across the CLT sector, take a look at our website www.communitylandtrusts.org.uk

      Government announces £14m funding to start CLTs

      Housing Minister Mark Prisk has announced that £14 million of grant funding will be made available to support CLTs and other community-led development organisations as they get started.

      The rules governing funding for the Community Right to Build are to be relaxed, to make it available for community developers using a variety of different development routes, not just the Community Right to Build itself.

      The minister announced the move on a visit to LILAC, the innovative cohousing project in Leeds. "With interest in this industry growing, I'm keen to ensure it goes from strength to strength", he said.

      The National CLT Network will be working with Locality, the UK Cohousing Network, the National Self Build Association, Self-help Housing and the Confederation of Co-operative Housing to encourage more local projects to come forward for support.

      Catherine Harrington, National Coordinator at the National Community Land Trust Network was quoted in the Government's press release, saying:

      “We welcome the government's announcement for £14 million seedcorn funding for communities. There are already 150 communities setting up Community Land Trusts and delivering permanently affordable homes across England, with on average one new community land trust forming every week.

      “With such vital seedcorn funding we could see thousands of active citizens building more homes and taking control of their housing choices and the future of their communities. This is a significant step towards community-led housing becoming a real, meaningful alternative for those priced out of the housing market.

      Further information

      Currently, community groups in England (outside London) can apply for funding to help them to formally establish themselves, prepare their development proposals and submit a Community Right to Build Order under the Localism Act 2011.

      This new announcement will enable more groups wishing to bring forward community led development to apply, even if they do not plan to use the Community Right to Build. The funding is managed by the Homes and Communities Agency, and revised guidance for prospective bidders will be made available shortly.

      About £14 million is available until the end of March 2015. Separate funding arrangements are available for London, and are administered by the Greater London Authority.

      We'll have more information on how to apply, and how we can help, in due course.

      []

      Keswick CLT start on site

      Don't forget to get your stories in for the next News from the Network, coming out later this month. To share what you've been up to, get in touch with us on hannah.fleetwood@... or 020 7067 1039.
      National Community Land Trust Network
      c/o National Housing Federation Lion Court, 25 Procter Street London England WC1V 6NY
      Email: clt@...  Telephone: 020 7067 1191
      []