5419Luddite reading group on the politics of technology

  • Ned Ludd by way of Tony Gosling
    Jul 1, 2014
    Dear friends,
    Following the success of the Breaking the Frame gathering, the Breaking the Frame working group has decided to set up a monthly reading group on the politics of technology. We will look at some classic writers, such as Lewis Mumford, Carolyn Merchant, EF Schumacher, Ivan Illich, etc as well as more current writers, eg Evgeny Morozov.
    The first meeting of the group will be at 7pm on July 14th, venue to be confirmed, in London. If you intend to be there, or can't make it but would like to come to future meetings, please let us know by replying to this email. The reading for the first meeting of the group will be Langdon Winner's 'Do Artifacts Have Politics?' (attached). We look forward to seeing you on July 14th.
    Forthcoming technology politics events
    We will shortly be circulating a list of technology politics events for the next few months. However, two events in the near future are:
    London Permaculture Festival, July 6th, Cecil Sharp House, Camden, London http://www.londonpermaculturefestival.com/
    Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP), Day of Action and Speaker events (8th to 12th July)  http://waronwant.org/news/events/18143-no-ttip-national-tour-a-day-of-action
    Best wishes,