5102Operation Elven used to target Dale Farm anti-eviction network

  • marksimonbrown
    Oct 10, 2013
      From: travellersolidarity@...
      Sender: travellersolidarity-bounces@...
      Subject: [Travellersolidarity] Operation Elven: A Call-Out for
      Information
      Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 18:58:07 -0000
      To: travellersolidarity@...

      In recent weeks Traveller communities across have faced another
      clampdown by police under the title of ‘Operation Elven’.

      *Effects of Operation Elven*

      There have been some accusations of robberies from Museums of items
      such as rhino horns. The police believe that their suspects are
      Travellers and have been raiding sites across the UK, taking lots of
      computers, papers, sim cards etc. Officers from 26 forces and the
      Serious Organised Crime Agency (Soca) have been involved in the
      operation. Raids have taken place in London, Sussex, Cambridgeshire,
      the West Midlands, Essex and Northern Ireland.

      We believe there have been clear attempts to target those who were
      connected with the organised resistance against the Dale Farm eviction
      two years ago, supported by reports of frankly pointless violations
      against friends. Readhere for a first-person
      account<http://travellersolidarity.org/2013/09/11/police-raid-on-smithy-fen-an-account/>.

      Police confiscations of identification and vehicles have left many
      unable to work or receive their vital benefits.

      A raid took place on Smithy Fen in Cambridgeshire, where we have
      friends, as well as other sites that we are not so familiar with. As
      part of Operation Elvin there was a raid on a site in Wolverhampton
      involving 70 police and helicopters. Supporters in Cambridgeshire
      continue to work very hard on supporting those who have been effected.
      Grattan Puxon, long-time supporter of Travellers and Roma, was also
      raided and effectively robbed of his possessions.
      Report below.

      It appears that the police are using the robberies as an excuse to
      intimidate the entire Traveller community and anyone willing to stand
      with them.

      *Why email out?*

      The reason we’re therefore emailing out is to ask the simple question
      - Is anything happening in your area? Have sites been raided? Have
      you been able to help? Getting a clearer picture of a very shady
      police operation is
      the first step.

      So please do get in touch. Email travellersolidarity@...

      Keep updated by reading our blog at www.travellersolidarity.org
      Also for more information, read
      http://netpol.org/2013/09/18/raids-on-traveller-sites-condemned-by-campaigners/

      POLICE RAID ON GRATTAN PUXON
      Submitted by Roma Network on 10 September 2013
      http://roma.idebate.org/news-articles/police-raid-grattan-puxon

      POLICE RAID ON GRATTAN PUXON Early this morning (10 September)
      taser-armed police from the Essex special mobile force stationed at
      Boreham, accompanied by a search team, entered the home of veteran
      Romani movement activist Grattan Puxon. They included officers who
      took part in the mass eviction at Dale Farm in October last year. Both
      Puxon and his wife Eileen were shown a warrant before a seven-hour
      search was made of the small cottage. Three computers, three mobile
      fines and quantities of files, diaries and other papers were removed.
      Puxon was subjected to a body search and his wife was supervised while
      dressing. No explaination was offered by the police beyond saying an
      investigation is ongoing. No charges have been brought. The search
      team arrived in two minibuses and a police car. A hired van was later
      added. At least a dozen officers were involved.Puxon was first told he
      could not leave the house but at about 9am was permitted to attend a
      doctor's appointment. [I need to be advised on legal representation in
      the event that any charges are made, and would appreciate having this
      news further circulated to activists in the Romani movement and
      beyond]