5099Challenging Sainsbury's & Bristol Rovers' planning scam

  • Tony Gosling
    Oct 6, 2013

      Subject: Sainsbury's Horfield Judicial Review Fundraising - Please Donate!
      From: Ras Horfield <rashorfield@...>

      Dear Supporters

      Many of you will now be aware that Traders and Residents Against Sainsbury's Horfield (TRASH) have taken the serious step of pursuing a Judicial Review of the planning process undertaken by Bristol City Council when it approved the application by Sainsbury's to build the largest supermarket in North Bristol on the Memorial Ground in Horfield, BS7.

      Our local community said NO to this development and yet a determined campaign, 6550 signatures against and 1000 well advised objections did not persuade Bristol City Council to listen.  It wasn't just local residents and traders that were ignored, so too were our ward councillors who repeatedly warned about the impacts of the development, NHS Public Health Bristol who wrote a damning report and furthermore the Council even appeared to discount the advice of their own Economy Enterprise and Inclusion team, their highways officers and their independent retail impact advisors in favour of representations from Sainsbury's consultants.

      The Judicial Review is our only option to challenge this decision. We do not have the benefit of a right of appeal, and the Judicial Review cannot look at the merits of what many believe is a 'poor' or 'rogue' decision.  Instead a Judicial Review seeks to establish whether the Council acted 'unlawfully' in arriving at its decision.

      In February 2013 TRASH instructed expert planning and environmental lawyers to examine this case and we are advised that there are 3 good grounds upon which to base our claim (please refer to our website for further explanation of these grounds - TRASHorfield.wordpress.com )

      Our claim has now been served upon Bristol City Council and submitted to the High Court for consideration and we await the view of a Judge as to whether we can pursue the claim to a full substantive hearing stage.  The immediate group have raised considerable costs so far to pay for initial legal advice and campaign literature, but we must now turn to the wider community for further financial support for both our own continuing costs in pursuing this matter and also in order to satisfy the courts that we have enough security to pursue the claim should we lose and be required to pay Bristol City Council's costs in defending.  Bristol City Council have insisted upon a substantial Protective Costs Order (PCO) of £10,000. In addition we hope to more than double this figure to cover our own costs.

      Some of you may already have received our leaflet detailing ways in which you can donate to the Judicial Review Fund, for those who have not yet received their leaflet you can donate in the following ways:

      • By Paypal and debit/credit cards at website:  TRASHorfield.wordpress.com
      • By BACS Transfer: Name: TRASH   Sort Code:   08-92-99   Account No: 65655568
      • By Cheque (payable to TRASH) deliver/mail to: Pearce's Hardware, 295 Gloucester Road, Bristol, BS7 8PE
      TRASH continues to be supported by the Gloucester Road Traders Association and our local Ward Councillors, Daniella Radice (Green Party) and Dr David Willingham (Liberal Democrat Party)

      Together we hope we can achieve a quashing of the planning approval and realise an acceptable outcome for this site for all.  Support Rovers but don't trash Horfield.

      Kind regards

      Daniella, Diana, Jerry, Steve, Sue and Tom
      Directors

      TRASH have created TRASHorfield Ltd to pursue the Judicial Review. Company No. 8663806

      +44 (0)7786 952037
      Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered that shall not be revealed; and nothing hid that shall not be made known. What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

      www.v911t.org