an inspiration

  • lastvulture
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 17, 2004
      Dear Gary and members,
      just discovered your website and wanted to
      congratulate you on its depth and clarity.As a 26 year old
      struggling musician/songwriter in early 2001 I dicovered the album
      Dick Campbell sings where its at in a local vintage record store in
      Newcastle nsw Australia.It was suggested to me by the owner who was
      a butterfield/bloomfield fan and i was intrigued by the bizarre
      liner notes so I handed over my $2 and took it home.
      At that time i
      had just started a new job,moved to a new town ,didnt know anyone,
      away from family and friends and alone in a one bedroom apartment.

      So in this setting Dick Campbell dropped on to the turntable.

      My first reaction was to laugh long and hard and i will be forever
      grateful for that,in my darkest hour D.C. brought gales of mirth.

      But for days after I couldn't get the songs out of my head I was
      constantly singing them, and those incredible lyrics made me
      reflect.And every night in that one bedroom apartment the album
      played..... it spoke volumes in single lines

      " and when fear grips my heart........"

      " the reality that she depends on me....."

      " if our lives could be projected on lifes moving screen,then
      they'd paint scenes ,for kings and queens..."

      " i don't know what comes over me to let you down this way..."

      "and some men deliberately fog up their minds to try and make
      them clearer......."

      without listening to the record i remember these lines.

      I was deeply saddened to learn of Dick Campbell's passing but please
      draw comfort from the knowledge that he connected to people through
      his music on a deep,strong ,human level and to musicians like me,he
      was nothing short of an inspiration.

      thanks, Dan.
    • Gary
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 19, 2004
        Thank you very much for you kind words and for sharing with us. I
        have heard from many young musicians who have told me my dads lyrics
        had inspired them. It is always nice to know that my fathers music
        touched peoples lives. I hope you become a very well acknowledged
        musician in your own right.

        --- In Dickcampbell@yahoogroups.com, "lastvulture" <dygwidmark@h...>