Rev-OlaGram

  • Little Nemo
    Message 1 of 12 , May 11, 2004
      Perez Prado
      ¡Primal! ­ The Mambo King
      CRREV 68
      The Mambo, a wild and exotic musical form and dance that swept the Latino
      world in the late 1940s, and unbelievably went on to become a huge pop
      phenomenon worldwide! It's originator was Perez Prado, Cuba's gift to the
      world; The Prez! El Bombero! EL ANIMAL!!!

      These are his long lost original Latino hits, far wilder and more ethnic
      than his later pop repertoire. Recorded in Mexico City, centre of the
      record/film business then as now, every one of these absolutely wild and
      uncompromising numbers was a major hit! How could they not be?!

      Never before featured on CD, ³¡Primal!² features 26 of Prado¹s Latino market
      mega-hits between 1949-1953. The combination of soaring Stan Kenton-inspired
      trumpets and saxes with the most backwoods afro-cuban percussion yet heard
      on record lost Prado his jobs at swanky Habana hotels, but ultimately,
      against the odds, made him a star!!

      The insane leaping about and animal exclamations which were his
      in-performance trademarks are all over these wonderful live-in-the-studio
      recordings, proof that the world pre-Rock 'N' Roll did not lack Rock 'N'
      Roll madmen!

      Prado was the daddy of them all! The Mambo King in Zoot Suit and fedora,
      driving them all insane! Featuring the out-there vocals of Cuba's most
      legendary and beloved singer, Beny More we defy you to keep still when this
      hits the deck. And lest you think of Prado as a figure from prehistory,
      how's this as a performer and songwriter: "Guaglione" was a number one hit
      in the UK in 1995 after being featured in a Guinness beer commercial;
      "Patricia" was adopted as the theme for the HBO documentary series Real Sex;
      and "Mambo No. 5", Prado's first hit single, was adapted into the
      unnervingly catchy novelty hit "Mambo No. 5 (A Little Bit Of...)" by Lou
      Bega in 1999... now hear where it all began.

      Sunshine Company
      Sunshine Company
      CRREV 13
      The Sunshine Company... their very name conjures up the spirit of the
      Soft-Pop genre so beloved of collectors, as does the buoyant optimism of
      their sound, with it's complex multi-part harmonies, and full-on L.A.
      radio-friendly studio production, making them almost the very archetype of
      the genre

      Scratch the surface, however, and one finds a rather eccentric strain of
      melancholy (perhaps a product of the gap between their ambition and their
      record label's more traditional expectations) which sets them apart from
      almost every other group in the genre.

      Their story, like their music, is far more complex than it appears, perhaps
      the only Soft Pop group whose brief career links them with the Carpenters,
      Fairport Convention, the Fifth Dimension, Yes, Jackson Browne, Jefferson
      Airplane, Matthews Southern Comfort, Duane and Gregg Allman and Sandy
      Denny.... in a short time they slipped from their position as cherished
      collaborators and influences to indifference as the musical climate of the
      late 1960's made it's incredibly fast quantum leaps.

      Up Up & Away / I Need You / Just Beyond Your Smile / Rain / Happy / I Just
      Want To Be Your Friend / A Year In Jaine Time / Back On The Street Again /
      Look Here Comes The Sun / I Can't Help But Wonder / It's Sunday / I,To, We
      And Back Again / If You Only Knew / Darcey Farrow / Without Really Thinking
      / On A Beautiful Day / Let's Get Together / Willy Jean / Springtime Meadows
      / A Stitch In Time Saves None / Ways & Means / Bolero / I Hate Pigeons

      Rockin¹ Horse
      Yes It Is
      CRREV 70
      Jimmy Campbell, poet laureate of Liverpool, had taken a serious left turn
      from the Psychedelia of the 23rd Turnoff into the working-class-Nick
      Drake-isms of his acoustic solo work... A catharsis of adult themes, and
      rather depressing to listen to, he then he took an even stranger course, one
      which today would be applauded as a masterly ironic yet evocative concept
      yet in the early 1970's was seen as an amazingly perverse course.

      Recruiting lifelong pal and ex-Merseybeat Billy Kinsley, he formed Rockin'
      Horse. The serious adult themes stayed intact, like a Mike Leigh film set to
      music, but the music itself shifted to the sound of live Mersybeat as they
      had played it as kids, the girl group and R&B-isms, and the soaring yet
      cheerfully hit and miss harmonies of a time when anything seemed possible
      for young scousers, intended to project the realities of how it all panned
      out for the city, and many of those youngsters... by God, it worked!

      Depicting the sound of a city full of hope, but singing of a time when the
      hope had become a bit jaded, of course, the critics didn't understand, and
      the utterly hideous and alarming original Hipgnosis sleeve must have put off
      the majority of buyers, making this brave and amazing experiment in serious
      pop one of the rarest UK albums and a cult amongst people in the know. Now
      Rev-Ola re-presents this seminal moment in Liverpool musical history,
      complete with it's attendant singles sides and tracks from long deleted
      samplers. With copious notes, an interview with Billy Kinsley, and scads of
      unpublished pictures, this is the classic that should have been, back now in
      a time when people will get it - Jimmy, you were right all along!

      The Thanes
      Evolver
      CRREV 69
      Here it is! Just when you thought it was safe to listen to failed biker bar
      bands who've noticed The White Stripes have sold a few records (you know who
      you are), we bring you the complete history to date of Scotland's premier
      Garage/Beat group.

      Whilst influencing a whole generation of bands making up today's hit Garage
      sound, they made (and continue to make) a series of remarkable and acclaimed
      records. All collected here for the first time on one great CD are all the
      classics, the driving-collectors-mad rarities, and perhaps their latest and
      perhaps greatest recordings. Anyone with any interest in the driving Garage
      Punk sound that's sweeping the world cannot miss this essential release!

      Brute Force
      Extemporaneous
      CRREV 36
      The wonderful Brute Force, one of the world's major eccentrics: stuntman,
      actor, record breaker, stand-up improv master, and hit songwriter for the
      Chiffons, the Cyrkle, Del Shannon, the Creation, and the Tokens Brute Force
      even released a rare and controversial single, "The King of Fuh," on the
      Beatles' Apple label - the rarest on the label as it happens! Here is a
      slice of full-on Brute, a 1969 performance of improv and songs (sometimes
      both!).... some songs which should have been hits but for that... twist, and
      then both sides of his Apple single "The King Of Fuh/No One Knows What's
      Going On In My Mind But Me" (The latter song was actually a hit for the
      Shirelles, and is today a Northern Soul staple!).

      A must for all fans of the eccentric, bizarre, 1960's classic pop and all
      Beatles completists too! Can't say better than that!

      Randy Meisner
      Love Me Or Leave Me Alone
      CRREV 64
      The next up in our NOW sound series of new records is a bona fide star, an
      event if you will! Step forward Mr. Randy Meisner, formerly of The Poor, The
      Drivin' Dynamics and of course...The Eagles!
      A splendid fellow whose career includes precious rarities of psych and
      Americana, not to mention mega-multi-platinum success! Featuring guest
      appearances by James Griffin of Bread, Nick St. Nicholas of Steppenwolf,
      Billy Swan, Charlie Rich jnr. and Spencer Davis, as well as a special
      recording of the timeless Eagles classic "Take It Easy", this album
      represents a new collection of songs reaching back for inspiration into his
      love of soul music and stone country! His best recordings for many a year -
      absolutely superb stuff from a master!

      The Gremlins
      The Coming Generation
      CRREV 65
      Rev-Ola takes its first trip down under. It¹s time to blast off with The
      Gremlins! One of the most overlooked power-pop bands of the 1960¹s from a
      land populated by more sheep than humans, Auckland, New Zealand¹s Gremlins
      are often mistakenly categorized as primeval garage rock stompers but they
      were far more subtle than that as this definitive collection of their
      singles and EP tracks proves.

      They blended beat, pop and folk-rock with tantalizing results. Only The
      Beatles¹ ³Yellow Submarine² could stop the Gremlins¹ version of ³The Coming
      Generation² (the flip side of The Knickerbockers¹ 1965 hit ³Lies²) from
      topping the NZ charts in 1966. The band quickly progressed from covering the
      UK and USA hits of the day to writing and recording their own material which
      recalls the best of The Byrds, The Hollies and The Grass Roots.

      Sadly The Gremlins never managed to record an album but instead left us with
      one classic EP and a string of some of the best Antipodean singles of the
      60¹s. From the rebellious P F Sloan-style folk-rock of ³Understand Our Age²
      to the sci-fi fantasy of ³Blast Off 1970² to the Bee Gees-influenced
      pop-psych of their final single ³Kingsforth Hemmingseen², these recordings
      are essential for fans of 60¹s pop everywhere.

      Collectors have long been paying top dollar for these scarce Gremlins
      singles. The Coming Generation collects all of the band¹s releases on CD for
      the first time and is remastered from bandleader Glyn Tucker¹s original
      two-track master tapes!

      Wondermints
      Mind If We Make Love To You
      CRREV67

      WOW!The Wondermints!...kings of California pop.....producers of our wondrous
      Lisa Mychols Christmas/Solstice album... worshipped worldwide for their work
      with Brian Wilson in bringing both Pet Sounds and SMiLE to the live stages
      of Europe...and now here they are with an album on Rev-Ola? Oh yes indeed!
      Their never-released in Europe latest album "Mind If We Make Love To You?"
      rises againŠwith two wonderful and EXCLUSIVE new tracks added!!

      The album itself features guest appearances from Brian Wilson and legendary
      pop/soul diva Evie Sands...anyone who saw these guys on the SMiLE tour
      recently will have no difficulty in guessing why legendary figures like this
      would guest on their albums in such nonchalant style...because they are
      GENIUS!..a collection of fantastic songs as only The Wondermints can do
      them!ŠI told you I wasn't joking with this Now Sound series, didn't I? How
      good can it get?

      This is the first European release for this fantastic new album and it
      features TWO *exclusive* brand new songs, not on the original US release,
      and a completely revamped sleeve!

      Plus guest spots from Brian Wilson and Evie Sands!

      **Acclaimed in their own right as well as for their amazing work with Brian
      Wilson, The Wondermints are already a legend, loved by press, radio and
      music lovers everywhere! This is a flagship release in the Rev-Ola Now Sound
      series....you better believe it!

      On the Run / Ride / Shine on Me / Time Has You / Another Way / Project 11/
      Out of Mind / Sweetness / If I Were You / Something I Knew / Listen / So
      Nice / Out Of Mind (alternate version) / Ride (Instrumental version)

    • Little Nemo
      Message 2 of 12 , May 15, 2004
        Well, hello again...well into spring now, when a young man's fancy
        apparently turns to all sorts of Sid James related palaver....but I
        digress...my contribution to all this is the release of some uber-sexy
        records....and we kick off with Wanda De Sah....now this IS a sexy record,
        late night bossapop with the whispered vocal style I so love...this one is a
        major turn on boys and girls....lush orchestration completes a most
        beautiful sound picture from Wanda, original singer/guitarist with Brasil
        '65 (precursor to Brasil '66) marketed as the Brigitte Bardot version of
        Astrud Gilberto for a good reason....but that is selling this amazing woman
        short...check it out...to continue in this vein..The Feminine
        Complex!....Girls in a garage where Wanda is no doubt head mechanic (no, I
        haven't been drinking, stick with it).....the sound of girls with guitars
        from the unlikely location of Nashville on this fantastic 1969 album, which
        many thought was a fake made by present day indie girls..as if I
        would!...chock full of memories and amazing pictures...what more could you
        want?.....Ah....OK then...."David Hemmings Happens"...no, not some kind of
        joke actor album ala William Shatner, this is seriously good stuff by the
        Blow Up star...featuring McGuinn and Hillman of The Byrds on top Raga Rock
        form, with David playing a posh Brit version of Tom Waits on top of bizarre
        raga improvisations, clattering tablas and wailing sax agogo....and with a
        full-on orchestral folk rock tour de force on an UNRELEASED Gene Clark
        classic, it's almost too much to bear!!!!!....so...what about The Now
        Sound....yes, we've had the wonders of Tibi Lubin (eerily echoed this month
        by The Feminine Complex), Bronco Bullfrog, and heavens to Betsy, even The
        Wondermints!...surely there can't be more already!...well...YES....with The
        Ecstasy OF St. Theresa...who?...Ha Ha...The Czech Republic's first and best
        indie band....top favourites with the likes of John Peel and British Sea
        Power (with whom they've recorded and toured....pay attention!!)...."13
        Years In Noises" gives us the full on history of this masterful group just
        as the Czech Republic enters the EU....from Shoegazing Peel sessions to
        acclaimed film soundtracks to their latest collaboration with British Sea
        Power, (hot off the presses!) it's all there....and you ain't heard nothin'
        yet! (it says here). www.revola.co.uk
      • Little Nemo
        Message 3 of 12 , May 17, 2004
          NEWS!

          The revamped website is up and running www.revola.co.uk Check it
          out.....let us know what you think!
        • Little Nemo
          Message 4 of 12 , May 29, 2004
            The Carnival

            The Carnival was formed in late 1967 by disenchanted ex SERGIO MENDES &
            BRASIL '66 band members JOSE SUARES and JANIS HANSEN along with ex-MURMAID/
            Kim Fowley protégé TERRY FISCHER ("Popsicles and Icicles"). Janis was the
            voice of the Sergio Mendes mega-hit "The Look of Love" (which hit the charts
            six months after she and Jose left the group!). Janis' sultry performance of
            this song on the 1967 Academy Awards telecast effectively broke Brasil '66
            to the mass market! After the Carnival, Janis went on to sing the praises of
            Ford automobiles in a band called THE GOING THING with JOHN AND TOM BAHLER
            of the LOVE GENERATION! She also continued her career as an actress (her
            performance as Felix's surprisingly glamorous wife in "The Odd Couple" is a
            classic of TV!).

            The Carnival's amazing and powerful Brasil-'66-meets-The-Fifth-Dimension
            sound was largely the brainchild of legendary producer and engineer BONES
            HOWE. At the top of his game, Bones gathered L.A.'s finest "Wrecking Crew"
            studio musicians (Hal Blaine, Larry Knechtel, etc.) for this, the Carnival's
            sole eponymous LP. Never before on CD with these exclusive bonus tracks.
            With the full participation of the master himself, BONES HOWE along with
            Janis Hansen and Terry Fischer. Rev-Ola is proud to present The Carnival on
            CD with rare photos, and exhaustive liner notes.

            **Never before on CD!

            **remastered from pristine original session tapes provided by album producer
            Bones Howe!

            **Repackaged in the usual lavish Rev-Ola style....with exclusive pictures
            and in depth interviews with Bones Howe, Janis Hansen, and Terry Fischer!

            **The latest in our continuing series of Pop/Bossa Nova crossovers, along
            with Triste Janero and Wanda de Sah...beautiful albums all....the sound of
            summer.....oh yes!

            **A most for all fans of Bossa Nova, Brasil '66....and LA pop at it's
            zenith!!

            1. Canto De Carnival
            2. Laia Ladaia
            3. Sweets For My Sweet
            4. Take Me For a Little While
            5. Turn, Turn, Turn
            6. Hope
            7. Walk On By
            8. One Bright Night
            9. Son of a Preacherman
            10. Reach Out For Me
            11. Love So Fine
            12. The Word

            Bonus Tracks:
            13. Where There's a Heartache (There Must Be a Heart)
            14. The Truth About It
            15. Son of a Preacherman (MONO)
          • Little Nemo
            Message 5 of 12 , May 29, 2004
              Sandy Salisbury "Everything For You"

              Sandy Salisbury....King Of Pop.....exaggeration?.....Not at all!....As
              possibly the most prolific member of the legendary Millennium, it was
              puzzling that so little of his sublime songwriting was officially
              released.....all down to record company politics and strategy
              apparently....Until the recent release of "Falling To Pieces" (CRREV05)
              exposed the breadth and quality of his unused pop masterpieces....so here we
              are with a second collection of Sandy's masterful 1960's demos....played by
              his fellow Millennium members and friends....lost classics of softpop ripe
              for discovery!

              **A collection of unreleased masterpieces by member of the Millennium,
              Sagittarius, and The Ballroom.....

              **remastered in true Rev-Ola style!

              **Songs selected by Sandy himself, who also provides the liner note....

              A must for all softpop fans, especially the huge cult following of the
              Millennium.....a missing chapter in the extraordinary story of softpop!
            • Little Nemo
              Message 6 of 12 , May 29, 2004
                NOW SOUND NEWS!!!!!

                The Ecstasy Of Saint Theresa

                "Thirteen Years In Noises"

                The definitive "story so far" compilation from this amazing, constantly
                evolving and much admired group.
                Formed in the aftermath of the Velvet Revolution, The Ecstasy Of St. Theresa
                released the first ever Czech indie records....quickly getting the attention
                of John Peel, and recording what became a legendary session for his Radio 1
                show.....released commercially as an EP, it toped the CMJ chart, and got to
                number 6 in the UK indie charts when this meant something!.....The group
                quickly moved beyond this essentially shoe-gazing style to explore many
                soundscapes....film soundtracks, remixes the whole thing.....here for the
                first time, the definitive story of this seminal group...from their classic
                Peel session via their film soundtrack work to their latest project, a
                collaboration with British Sea Power "It's A Lovely Day
                Tomorrow".....otherwise available outside the Czech Republic only at British
                Sea Power shows....but on here EXCLUSIVELY providing a fitting close to
                chapter one of the Ecstasy Of St. Theresa.....as the Czech Republic bravely
                enters the EU, another chance to hear the story from the start....

                **The Definitive 15 track collection, the story so far of this seminal Czech
                group.....

                **Includes their legendary John Peel session, and their earliest Czech
                releases

                **includes "For This Moment" from the platinum soundtrack to the film
                "Loners"

                **Includes "It's A Lovely Day Tomorrow", their collaboration with British
                Sea Power, which will not otherwise be available commercially outside the
                Czech Republic....except HERE!

                ALSO AVAILABLE ON THE NOW SOUND OF REV-OLA

                Tibi Lubin
                I Don¹t See You As A Dead Girl
                CRREV 61

                Tibi Lubin are a UK group led by singer, guitarist and songwriter Katie
                Stewart. With a varying cast of collaborators - their aim (if there is one)
                is to combine the languorous, airy vocal feel of performers like Claudine
                Longet, Lois, Francoise Hardy, and Margo Guryan, with the oblique intensity
                of The Shangri Las and the quirky perversity of 1980's punk inspired music
                as embraced today by the likes of Slumberparty.

                Produced by Rev-Ola/Creation/Poptones maverick Joe Foster, ³I Don¹t See You
                As A Dead Girl² represents the first complete Tibi Lubin recording, using to
                great effect the stark colours of early 1980's indie music before it
                ossified - a time when anything seemed possible (and probably was) to
                express a vision in it's purest form. Future recordings will range from
                acapella to full-on punk to orchestral pop to anything which seems
                appropriate on the day. This is a music which presents harsh pictures in
                beautiful soft focus, and vice versa, of course!

                Origami Fig. One / Calling Hettie Jones / Electric Blanket / Assasination
                #96 / Oh Botticelli! / Miss Myopia / Recipient unknown / Please Please, My
                Disease / The Great Big Lie / Clay to fire

                Bronco Bullfrog
                What People Did Before TV
                CRREV 63

                Masters of English psychedelic pop with a garagey edge Bronco Bullfrog are
                stars in Spain and Italy, yet rarely bother to do anything in their native
                land. Produced by the infamous Liam Watson at the lovely Toerag Studios
                *before* it became de rigeur for every UK popstar, this is their first
                never-before UK release

                Bronco Bullfrog are not on a mission to save the world from the mediocrity
                of manufactured pop or enjoy vain rock star glory. Andy, Mike and Louis make
                this music because they have to. It is born and lives within them and has to
                be heard. The bitterness of being broken down by love, despair at a hostile
                environment, the monotony of a nine to five existence, memories of a greener
                past and dreams of a perfect future aren't fiction ­ they are the reality of
                human existence. And hearing three musical individuals express it so well is
                a rare thing in any musical climate.

                Together / One Day With Melody Love / Witch¹s Garbage / Down Angel Lane /
                7:38 (Bug Eyed And Breathless) / Look At Me / Home To You / Blow Yourself Up
                / Sunday / Del Quant / Get To Know You / Octopus / Greenacre Hill / Sweet
                Tooth / Barnaby Slade / History

[...]

                Lisa Mychols
                Lost Winter's Dream
                CRREV 17

                OK...Thanksgiving...Halloween...Christmas...it all creeps up doesn't it..and
                what better way to deal with the various festivities of winter than some
                seasonal music..... It would seem the days of mysterious lost culty albums
                are not yet gone.....now...pay attention! Available as a privately made
                cassette and latterly as a CDR, "Lost Winter's Dream", by the diva of the
                powerpop set, Lisa Mychols, has been a hot item for a while now among the
                fan/collector community......:

                "Lisa Mychols, along with those Wondermints guys, has created a quality
                Christmas oriented collection that's on par with some of Brian Wilson's and
                Phil Spector's finest moments. Lisa not only writes the songs but paints
                Christmas as something almost seductive. Plus, it's one of those rare
                holiday albums you'll want to pull out anytime of the year simply because
                the quality of the songwriting transcends the occasion." - Jordan Oakes of
                Yellow Pills. David Bash's 34th favorite record of all time!!!! (for those
                who know him that's jaw-dropping!)

                Produced, arranged and played by the Wondermints team (who have recently
                been providing the same service for Brian Wilson), "Lost Winter's Dream" is
                the Christmas/Solstice/whatever album of your dreams!

                Listen to the Bells Ring / Closer to Jerusalem / Look On / We Will Look Away
                / X.Mass = Tyme2 / Lost Winter's Dream / Blizzard of Aahhs / Bernie's 3rd
                Christmas / Christmas Came Too Soon / Jack Frost / Shows A Lot / Pure And
                Simple
              • Little Nemo
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 3, 2004
                  From: sonicpastmusic
                  Date: Wednesday, November 3, 2004 3:08 AM
                  To: spectropop@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: The Word Is..................

                  --

                  Just a quick mention Sandy Salisbury of the Millennium , Tommy Roe, Curt
                  Boettcher, Gary Usher days will be appearing on Klux radio from Santa Monica

                  The Radio streams it's called "She Comes In Colors "

                  regards:

                  Joey Stec

                  Regards;

                  Joey Stec