Re: Rockabilly vs Surf guitar!

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 2 , May 8, 2003
      Zen with his guitar was my choice of words and not a philosophy of
      my fathers in any way. What i meant to relate with this descripticve
      was that he could play anything once he had heard it once. Dick was a
      latchkey kid only having a mom who had to work all the time since he
      was a baby. His mom had a guitar which he was not aloud to touch. But
      being home alone all day and half the night with no one around and
      not mutch to do Dick started messing with his moms guitar. He taught
      himself how to play from listening to the radio and imitating it. He
      never had any kind of lessons or instruction.
      I remember several times in the 80s playing something for him i
      know he had never heard before one time and he would be able to
      duplicate it almost exactly after one listen and play it once or
      twice. Then he would play it again and add a bunch of riffs and stuff
      to it to add his own touch to it.
      My mother says that all Dick ever wanted to do was make music,
      from the time he got up in the morning until he went to bed. When i
      was about 9 or so I was going to spend the night at the Ushers house
      one time after his son Damien and i finished football practice and we
      were Singing Barbara Ann in the back seat of the car on the way
      there. I would sing the lead then have Damien come in for the second
      chorus. I kept starting over telling Damien the timeing was off or to
      sing it like this instead and Gary Usher who was driving looked back
      at me and said to me you sound just like your dad. He always wants to
      have everyone do it the way he thinks best and will stop and redo and
      redo and redo until its sounds like he envisions it. Then Gary Smiled
      and started singing Damiens part the next couple of times to show him
      the timing. Then we all three sang it the rest of the way to the
      Ushers Estate and were jamming as mutch as a couple of 9 year olds
      can. It sounded good to me at the time. Good Memories.

      Gary Campbell

      --- In Dickcampbell@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Ann"
      <barbaraann_1965@y...> wrote:

      > No wonder! he was a "zen" artist! Wow!
      > No wonder he was so versatile! I was just
      > wondering what he liked to play the most.
      > One time in piano class, my college teacher told me that I would
      become a "zen" artist. I also took voice lessons from the same
      teacher. I now play the electric guitar.