Fw: [DickTracy] Re: Some thoughts

  • syd2918@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2013
    Unique 'idea' Aaron. The Tinky connection to Lizz hadn't dawned on me. But it is an intriguing question and certainly would be great to have her back, She looked like a 9 or 10 year old girl in 1970, and I'd guess in comic strip years - about 5 years older that Honeymoon who was born in 1965 As I 'recall' at the time of the bed-side marriage (Lizz with Groov on his death bed - 1984/85) there was no mention of Tinky or Stony. (?).

    Tinky regained her sight after an operation but her seeing-eye dog (Stony) went blind at roughly the same time. Some D.T. Encyclopedia reports on Tinky and Stony (her dog), And a page of panels from that time, attached to provide a better feel (or reminder) of the story.

    It would be good for the new Mike and Joe to have a future story with Tinky and fill in any connection he may care to with Lizz.

    SYD in Trinidad .

    Message 2 of 2 , May 10, 2013
      You couldn't get any more melodramatic or sympathetic than the story of a blind orphan child clinging to life in the hospital. Nor could you have a more satisfying and happy ending than Tinky's heroic recovery (egged on by Tracy) and the discovery that Groovy was her father.

      At the time of the Tinky stories, I doubt that Gould intended for Tinky to become a permanent member of his cast of characters. Tinky was crafted as a sympathetic character for the purpose of her two stories and all loose ends for the character were tied up at the end of the tale. Her purpose in the strip complete, I think Gould pushed the character into the background and thought little about her after her stories.

      When Collins wrote the Death of Groovy story in 1984, Tinky was not mentioned. Perhaps Collins was unaware of the character since Groovy's death occurred about 20 years after the Tinky stories.

      The deathbed marriage of Groovy and Lizz would logically have made Lizz Tinky's guardian. We know that Tinky's mother and step-father are both dead and she has no other relatives on her mother's side. However, we know very little about Groovy's family or background.

      When Tracy was investigating Tinky's background, he interviewed a man who claimed to be a childhood friend of Groovy. The drawings of this sequence appeared to show a nice suburban housing development. So we can possibly assume that Groovy grew up in a standard middle class suburban family. Perhaps another member of Groovy's family has taken custody of Tinky. Perhaps Groovy kept her at the School for the Blind where she was before discovering Groovy to be her father.

      Orphaned twice, Tinky becomes even more sympathetic than before if Mike and Joe decide to utilize the character again. Tinky has a built-in empathy from the readers. I think she would be a good character to bring back in a heart-wrenching story.

      Ray Toler