Fw: Re: [DickTracy] Where is MM?

  • syd2918@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 11, 2013
    Emile, seems you've already got some good assistance on Moon Maid. But I had started something for you ... a bit different

    1) Four pages of Moon Maid's Earth 'arrival'

    2) The Dick Tracy Encyclopedia's full written account of - Moon Maid in Chet Gould's Dick Tracy.

    As Ray Toler mentioned, after Gould, new Writer Max Collins had her 'die' (apparently??) - in a car 'explosion' in 1978. We are still to find out the 'identity' of this new character, Real Person - alive? Clone? or an Impersonator ?

    MM (or realy Moon Maid", was a  young female member of a humonoid race of people living in a deep Valley (with oxygen), concealed from view, a location - more to the less visable side of the Moon.
    The Dick Tracy series of stories known as the Moon Era started on  May 21st, 1963. Gould was likely inspired by the the USA vs Soviet Union's race to go to the Moon  A Diet Smitth invention, the Space Coupe used 'magnetic power' for propulsion, similar in a way to your Maglev Trains.
    Three earthbound stories ran until year end, when after an exploratory flight to the Moon , on return (12-29-63) they found a beautiful stowaway - Moon Maid. As it would later prove, daughter of the Governor of the Moon,.

    Moon People although humman in shape came with horns on the forehead, had the physical ability to withstand extreme cold and heat and, with the point of a finger could (like a weapon) send "eletrical bolts to defend themselves, hurt, and posibbly, even kill other people. This included a way of temporarily freezing them - to disable movement. If the range was good, Moon People could communicate by mental telepathy !

    Just for the record, the first and only full reprint, of these sequences appears in Blackthorn's Weekly # 97, # 98 and # 99 taking the story on  to April 26th, 1964, when Blackthorne ceased  publication. (Copies are available at Specproductions.com) - also the home of the "Official Dick Tracy Fan Club".   Check their site
    Then, another publicatin printed by Spec - "The Missing Years" picked up the continuation in #'s 1 to # 22  (of their 33 issues) After # 22 with the deaths of Intro (Jan '69) Purdy Fallar (1968),and Hy Jacky (Mar '69) -Gould 'cutback' considerably. on Moon Maid, on Space, and Space Coupe 'appearances'.
    The strip was approaching it's newspaper circulation peak (Vic Wichert says, 800  papers by 1968 and 'repeated' in 1973  The latter58% circulation increase 10 years after the Space Era was launched !

    So there's a reliable source - Specproductions.com  (718) 685-9086 - Andy Feighery

    Hope these help . . .

    Enjoy !

    SYD in Trinidad

    De : shandafa <shandafa@...>
    À : DickTracy@yahoogroups.com
    Envoyé le : Mercredi 10 avril 2013 16h26
    Objet : [DickTracy] Where is MM?

    Anyone care to guess where her HQ is?

    Mike

  • Emile Schwarz
    Message 2 of 2 , Apr 12, 2013
      Hy Syd,

      thanks to you too for the information.

      I already go to Specproductions.com, but I do not had time to read what I saved from there.

      Regards,

      Emile

      De : shandafa <shandafa@...>
      À : DickTracy@yahoogroups.com