Doodle

  • Matthew Hansel
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 20, 2013
    • 1 Attachment
    • 567 KB
    Alla prima in felt tipped marker

    MPH
  • brineb2000
    Message 2 of 11 , Feb 20, 2013
      Nice job Matt!!!

      brine
      http://brineb.blogspot.com/

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Matthew Hansel <wilandike@...>
      To: DickTracy <DickTracy@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wed, Feb 20, 2013 3:23 am
      Subject: [DickTracy] Doodle [1 Attachment]

      [Attachment(s) from Matthew Hansel included below]
      Alla prima in felt tipped marker

      MPH

      Sent from my iPhone

    • Matthew Hansel
      Message 3 of 11 , Feb 20, 2013
        Thanks

        MPH

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Feb 20, 2013, at 7:00 AM, BrianB30@... wrote:

        Nice job Matt!!!

        Message 4 of 11 , Feb 20, 2013
          very well done, Matt. Also very reminiscent of early Locher.

          I liked Locher's early work on the strip very much. I also thought that the stylization he brought to his drawings was very appropriate to the strip with prune-faced, grotesque, ugly characters etc. and reflected his own style rather than be an imitation of Gould. He truly made the strip his own (like Mike and Joe are doing now). I was never a great fan of Fletcher's work.

          I only became disappointed with Locher after he took over both writing and drawing. It seemed to me that he was overwhelmed and it showed in his work. While Locher's minimalism worked for his artwork, I did not feel it worked in his writing. I like his editorial cartoons very much.

          --- In DickTracy@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Hansel <wilandike@...> wrote:

          > Alla prima in felt tipped marker
          >
          > MPH
          >

          > Sent from my iPhone

        • Matthew Hansel
          Message 5 of 11 , Feb 20, 2013
            Thanks

            MPH

            Sent from my iPhone

            --- In DickTracy@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Hansel wrote:

            > Alla prima in felt tipped marker
            >
            > MPH
            >

            > Sent from my iPhone

          • Ray Toler
            Message 6 of 11 , Feb 20, 2013
              Brine,
              By the way, when Matt uses the term alla prima, he means that he did the sketch without first penciling it in. "Alla prima" is a term often used in scenic painting of backdrops. It is also a technique often used in oil painting especially if the work must be done quickly.

              --- In DickTracy@yahoogroups.com, BrianB30@... wrote:

              > Nice job Matt!!!
              >

              > brine
              > http://brineb.blogspot.com/

            • brineb2000
              Message 7 of 11 , Feb 21, 2013
                Thanks Ray,

                I am actually an artist and knew what it meant, here's on of my projects if you are interested:

                http://50satomicbrain.blogspot.com/

                brine
                http://brineb.blogspot.com/

                By the way, when Matt uses the term alla prima, he means that he did the sketch without first penciling it in. "Alla prima" is a term often used in scenic painting of backdrops. It is also a technique often used in oil painting especially if the work must be done quickly.

                --- In DickTracy@yahoogroups.com, BrianB30@... wrote:

                > Nice job Matt!!!
                >

                > brine
                > http://brineb.blogspot.com/

              • Matthew Hansel
                Message 8 of 11 , Feb 21, 2013
                  Nice work! Like the "looseness" of the inks!

                  MPH

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Feb 21, 2013, at 6:55 AM, BrianB30@... wrote:

                  Thanks Ray,

                  I am actually an artist and knew what it meant, here's on of my projects if you are interested:

                  http://50satomicbrain.blogspot.com/

                  By the way, when Matt uses the term alla prima, he means that he did the sketch without first penciling it in. "Alla prima" is a term often used in scenic painting of backdrops. It is also a technique often used in oil painting especially if the work must be done quickly.

                  --- In DickTracy@yahoogroups.com, BrianB30@... wrote:

                  > Nice job Matt!!!
                  >

                  > brine
                  > http://brineb.blogspot.com/

                • Ray Toler
                  Message 9 of 11 , Feb 21, 2013
                    Very nice, Brine. You've got a little Basil Wolverton vibe going on there.

                    RT

                    --- In DickTracy@yahoogroups.com, BrianB30@... wrote:

                    > Thanks Ray,
                    >
                    > I am actually an artist and knew what it meant, here's on of my projects if you are interested:
                    >
                    > http://50satomicbrain.blogspot.com/
                    >

                    > brine
                    > http://brineb.blogspot.com/

                  • brineb2000
                    Message 10 of 11 , Feb 21, 2013
                      Thanks Matt ... trying to keep it loose like the way I draw from life!!!

                      brine
                      http://brineb.blogspot.com/

                      By the way, when Matt uses the term alla prima, he means that he did the sketch without first penciling it in. "Alla prima" is a term often used in scenic painting of backdrops. It is also a technique often used in oil painting especially if the work must be done quickly.

                      --- In DickTracy@yahoogroups.com, BrianB30@... wrote:

                      > Nice job Matt!!!
                      >

                      > brine
                      > http://brineb.blogspot.com/

                    • brineb2000
                      Message 11 of 11 , Feb 21, 2013
                        Thanks RT ... Basil is an influence as well as Chester Gould and Jack Kirby .... toss in some R. Crumb and a few others as influences!!!

                        brine
                        http://brineb.blogspot.com/