The INVISIBLE TRIBE ?

  • syd2918@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 26, 2012
    Where is everyone ?   Surprise Surprise !

    Vera Alldid might really be proud of his foresight (?) He seems to have anticipated this sort of occurace as far back as 1969, when he launched his comic strip - "The Invisible Tribe"

    Or rather, that's what Chet Gould had Vera Alldid call it, when the new comic strip began in April 1969 - with 'words' above, but - no people below. !

    Were one in the 'speculating' business they might say it was Gould's clairvoyance 'kicking in' there, back in 1969 ?  It was just about the time when Chet was getting ready to give Moon Maid a 'rest', and 'move on' - focus the strip elsewhere. Just as he had done earlier with others - e.g. Vitamin in 1956 - after 12 years of heavy use. The Invisible Tribe strips arrival in April 1969 seemed to co-incide well with the closing chapter of the Dick Tracy Moon Era (?)  As only 5 months later - Sept. 1969, Tracy made his last visit to the Moon (Scorpio story). Perhaps Tracy's creator was 'precient' enough back then to realize that writers who followed him, might wish to "disqualify" that particular period, (mind you, one that served the strip and TMS so well - 'financially') yet out of 'personal' dislike effectively erase it from the records ! ?

    If so, he would have been right - as we all know. the Moon and its supporting flying apendages has been completely ignored since 1978, closed up - tight as a drumb. And yes, (until Curtis and Staton) - 43 years IS a long time. It had become conspicious, when without 'explanation' Diet was now seen to travel by "Private Lear Jet" (Nov. 29, 1981)  As if the Space Coupe itself had never existed. Some readers might have noted that the sod over Moon Maid's casket hadn't even dried properly ?

    More seriously, you might observe that this is a brilliant move by Mike to create a scenario where there is no further reason for those on Earth to go to the Moon. It get's the best of all worlds. Less sci-fi for those that dislike it, survivors can reappear on Earth - if wanted, and a future for the Moon People is left in 'reserve' - if say, a future writer felt the need to go there.

    Not every one will be pleased by this outcome, but I'm sure we will shortly hear from them.

    It may serve as useful feed-back for the current Team.

    SYD in Trinidad
    FREE Christmas Animations for your email – by IncrediMail! Click Here!
  • petemanley15
    Message 2 of 2 , Dec 26, 2012
      --- In DickTracy@yahoogroups.com, "syd2918@..." <syd2918@...> wrote:

      > Where is everyone ? Surprise ! Surprise !
      >
      > Vera Alldid might really be proud of his foresight (?) He seems to have
      > anticipated this sort of occurace as far back as 1969, when he launched his
      > comic strip - "The Invisible Tribe"
      >
      > Or rather, that's what Chet Gould had Vera Alldid call it, when the new
      > comic strip began in April 1969 - with 'words' above, but - no people below.
      > !
      >
      > Were one in the 'speculating' business they might say it was Gould's
      > clairvoyance 'kicking in' there, back in 1969 ? It was just about the time
      > when Chet was getting ready to give Moon Maid a 'rest', and 'move on' -
      > focus the strip elsewhere. Just as he had done earlier with others - e.g.
      > Vitamin in 1956 - after 12 years of heavy use. The Invisible Tribe strips
      > arrival in April 1969 seemed to co-incide well with the closing chapter of
      > the Dick Tracy Moon Era (?) As only 5 months later - Sept. 1969, Tracy made
      > his last visit to the Moon (Scorpio story). Perhaps Tracy's creator was
      > precient' enough back then to realize that writers who followed him, might
      > wish to "disqualify" that particular period, (mind you, one that served the
      > strip and TMS so well - 'financially') yet out of 'personal' dislike
      > effectively erase it from the records ! ?
      >
      > If so, he would have been right - as we all know. the Moon and its
      > supporting flying apendages has been completely ignored since 1978, closed
      > up - tight as a drumb. And yes, (until Curtis and Staton) - 43 years IS a
      > long time. It had become conspicious, when without 'explanation' Diet was
      > now seen to travel by "Private Lear Jet" (Nov. 29, 1981) As if the Space
      > Coupe itself had never existed. Some readers might have noted that the sod
      > over Moon Maid's casket hadn't even dried properly ?
      >
      > More seriously, you might observe that this is a brilliant move by Mike to
      > create a scenario where there is no further reason for those on Earth to go
      > to the Moon. It get's the best of all worlds. Less sci-fi for those that
      > dislike it, survivors can reappear on Earth - if wanted, and a future for
      > the Moon People is left in 'reserve' - if say, a future writer felt the need
      > to go there.
      >
      > Not every one will be pleased by this outcome, but I'm sure we will shortly
      > hear from them.
      >
      > It may serve as useful feed-back for the current Team.
      >

      > SYD in Trinidad

      "Just as he had done earlier with others - e.g. Vitamin in 1956 - after 12 years of heavy use."
      Syd, correct me if I'm wrong, but Vitamin was in Gould's Tracy from March 1944 to December 1950.

      Pete