Did LARRY PASS the BUCK ?

  • syd2918@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2012
    Sad moment there, to hear of his passing - just 2 mornings ago, but did Larry Hagman of - "Who Shot J.R." fame (from Dallas), 'inadvertently' pass the Buck ?  Problem seems to now 'reside' in Dick Tracy - - "Is Moon Maid really Dead" ?  The strip has been flogging that question. MM has decalared herself as Moon Maid (saying she's still alive). So does the real  Moon Maid still live (?) - that IS the question !

    Dick Tracy

    So yes Willy, in post # 16156 - I expressed mild 'surprise' at Vera's quick reappearance (he's not among Gould's better liked characters ?). He had (already) appeared only last November, and should MM prove to be the real Moon Maid it almost seemed like putting a lighted match to an (emotional) petrol bomb ?  Sparkle, Family in consternation ! And it seems Vera's scheduled to be 'there' -- ready like Freddie !   Mike might not touch it, but Sparkle was the one who 'chased' after him through a Marsh - ("I'll die without him - I love him"!) -  and when she fell, Vera returned to her. Straight-off they got married. First love can die hard !  Feelings could well lay dormant.

    Dick Tracy
    11-21-2011

    Dick Tracy
    10-23-2012

    Already we've seen some 'anxiety' or mild distress (?), expressed by Sparkle to Gertie, and I think it was a 'reasonable' thread, a query to take further down the road, as you did. Mike's now 'squashed' that possible outcome, and rather 'heavily' !  So any potential reunion must be ruled out !  But is that distracting us from the "central issue" - is this the real Moon Maid ? or a Clone ? an Android ? or an Imposter ? - possibly, a disguised Notta Chinchillar or a Zelda the Circus High Diver ? (Haf & Haf stories)

    Everything flows from the MM problen.. Authors' considerations, decisions, clues given and reader's suspicion/reactions.

    But more to the point, in (subsequent) post (# 16159) I proffered (or hinted at) - other related "speculations", that seem quite "possible", given Mike's earlier 'statements' and 'clues', the main ones given below. Not that I'm expecting a response,  I know it will have to all play out !

    Dick Tracy
    10-26-12

    But first, we need to 'frame it all' - by noting that Tracy's statement (" I saw it all - ") regarding the 1978 Moon Maid demise, is not a certifiably, 'accurate "recall. Tracy was (8-7-78) pictured sleeping on a couch inside and described - "At the home of Junior and his wife, Tracy takes an afternoon nap" -  the "explosion" awakened him !. Officer Rodriguez (on duty outside) - may have been the only one likely to have seen what happened !  Did he conceal something ? To his credit Artist Fletcher never depicted a body or even fragments of any remains, and there's no confirmation that a body was even in the casket !  All we have now, is Dick's ' foggy '  recall of an explosion. Here, not even a need for a 'breathing apparatus' were the Authors to find a way - through that 'narrow window', to have her still breathing elsewhere ! ?

    Most of the core pointers and clues from Mike come from two posts in early October. The more helpful sentences appear below (with some 'comment/opinion' - from your's truly) :

    Mike's Post  # 15900 (10-2-12) :
    " For many years Moon Maid was the third rail of Dick Tracy
    Joe, and Shelly and Shane, and yes, Jim along with our Editor touched the third rail and lived to tell a tale ".

    " I told eyeryone there were other factors" ... " Like Retik and his friend in the car ". " The explosive Sunday of Dec. 23rd ".

    " Tracy went to the moon in his comic strip adventures. Ugly Christine was thrown from, a flying garbage can (sorry, I can never remember the names of those things) and went down a factory smokestack ". (following which he added) . . .

    " Gould left Joe and I, with a Wonderful World of characters and possibilities. And with the exception of Memphis and Brighton Spotts it's likely 'ANYTHING' can 'HAPPEN' in the Tracy strip NOW ! ".

    ('emphasis' added - to few words in above section)

    One 'senses' some degree of 'euphoria' (?) in those first two lines - and  that's understadable, likely stretching down to help mold the statement that would then follow.
    This opens a whole New world in the current Dick Tracy strip. The Collins imposed 'strictures', and the 'thumbs' down advice by a Team member to the contarary, both now seem to be 'swept aside' and ("impressivly"), one notes, with TMS Editorial endorsement !   -
    Nor is it difficult to ignore, that descriptive ("explosion") word, used in the punch line to introduce the 'events' of Dec. 23
    All the above seemingly triggered by the arrival of MM or Moon Maid on  Aug 1, and what followed.
    There seems to be a clear implication that she'll be "part of that event" and the inference of the "E" word and it's possible relevance to the way she's "believed" to have died - is not lost on this reader !

    Mike's Post  # 15969. (10-15-12)
    " We discussed the MM wrapup and the things that have to take place "... " Joe tells me a lot of people asked him " (at the NY Convention?) " if it's the   real Moon Maid, but he told them he hadn't read the end of the story "

    The weight of those Convention queries along with the - 'unexpected' degree of "excitement" on both boards, and pumped up visibly as several new posters suddenly came in. Dick Tracy had come alive !  The surprising turn of events likely triggered some "reassesment" of components and or outcomes, possibly even the IDENTITY of the "look-alike" character appearing with that concealed lower face ? "Masking" suggests 1 of 2 things - scars or features to show it's not the real character (unless I've missed something ;).
    The Authors would easily realize the "marketing value" of the real thing !  Now in their hands, a "one off" opportunity to restore, and have for future years (?)
    A fabulous drawing card Why bite off the hand that feeds you ?

    It seemed near 'instructive'(?) - that Mike's next sentence in that post was as follows :

    " Truthfully I THINK I know who she is, but I've written stories where the characters take over and go in other directions ".

    Seems like a statement , following a "reconsideration" one that leaves a 'door open' for a possible change from the original identity if (on further reflection), they decided to bring back the original. That was frought with many potential problems, not arrising with an Imposter. Not the least of which, would be the 'impact' on the Junior Tracy family ! No wonder there was a touch of "Writers Block", at the time of contemplating all the wrap-up problems (?) !

    But unless I'm "way off the charts" (that's quite possibe ; ) you'd likely think that the dye (rather than the 'die') was already cast, as Mike repeated the importance of the Sunday page of Dec.23. He pumped it up BIG - when on ending the post he added, this 'opinion' :

    " I will say that there are more characters to introduce in the story (at least two) and that all who are interested will get a BIG SURPRISE on Dec 23. I have looked back at the GoComics responses for when MM first made her appearance, and I think we'll BUST an all time RECORD that day ! "

    It's difficult to think of any related event that could create a RECORD reaction.. With the now broken taboo on Moon things you may think of a Space Coupe flight to the Moon (but Diet really 'defused' the impact of that one -10-4-12 - by confirming the Coupe was still 'functional'). Perhaps the arrival of the Moon Governor on Earth in his Space Coupe, to check out TV rumors on his daughter ?  Could that make it ?
    Perhaps But NOTHING, really nothing, could beat a return of the real Moon Maid !  A good business decision !

    Mike's kind posts above , 'dots' connecting, lead me to believe - that will be the case !

    SYDNEY in Trinidad