Invitation To Help Return Buddhism To India

  • [DPD Web] Shen Shi'an
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2006
      From: peacepilgrim@...

      Most Venerable / Dear Dhamma Friends,

      I humbly introduce myself as the Peace Pilgrim, a Buddhist by faith and
      a Historian by profession. I also edit/publish The Buddhist Heritage, a
      Quarterly Journal from Sarnath, India. As part of my work to help in the
      preservation of forgotten Buddhist sites in India, I travel to remoter
      areas where the Buddha once visited and taught.
      Many of these places remained vibrant areas of Buddhism even after the
      Mahaparinirvana of the Buddha and continued to be so, as far as the 12th
      century A.D., when India was invaded by the Muslim Emperors.

      My only mission is to help in the return of Buddhism to India. Initially
      I am concentrating on sdites where the ancient remains of stupas,
      images and viharas can still be found. Later, I would like to expand the
      mission to towns and cities. I personally feel that we are all indebted
      to this country for having borne the Sakyamuni as a 'Son of the soil',
      whose teachings we have all benefitted from. In these 'degenerate times'
      when violence, hatred, caste system, corruption etc. is rapidly becoming
      the life style of the Indians. It is now time that we all united in a
      pure cause...an act of compassion.

      This letter is not an appeal for funds etc., but an invitation to
      Buddhist Viharas and Dhamma Missions in Asia and the rest of the World
      to send Monks and Volunteers to spread the Buddha's teachings. All
      Buddhist Organizations irrespective of their traditions are welcome to
      establish Viharas, Free Schools, Hospitals etc...and be involved with
      the poor simple people whose ancestors had been Buddhists and who with
      the onslaught of time, lost their faith and culture.
      COME JOIN ME IN THE MISSION TO RETURN THE DHARMA TO THE LAND OF ITS
      ORIGIN.

      I do look forward to hearing from you,
      Yours In The Dharma
      Peace Pilgrim