O'Joy Care Services - Volunteer Training Programme

  • [DPD Web] Shen Shi'an
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2006
      O'Joy Care Services - Volunteer Training Programme

      O'Joy Care Services - bringing oceans of joy to those we serve

      We provide counseling for persons above 50 years old and their caregivers regarding issues such as isolation, depression, or end-of-life concerns, and volunteers provide community support through home visits and elder sitting services.

      Upcoming Volunteer Training Courses
      We run volunteer training courses in both English and Mandarin a few times a year for our own volunteers (para-counsellors, elder sitting) and interested members of the public.

      The dates and details of the courses are as below :
      English Volunteer Training Course

      Course  : English VTC Level 1
      Date            : Saturday  4 March 2006
      Duration        : 2.15 - 6.15 pm
      Course Fees     :       FOC
      Deadline        :       Mon 27 Feb 06

      Course  : English VTC Level 2
      Date            : Saturday  11 March, 18 March and 1 April 2006
      Duration        : 2.15 - 6.15 pm
      Course fees     :       $100 per participant for public
      $30 per participant for volunteers of O'Joy Care Services

      Deadline        :       Mon 6 Mar 06

      Venue           : O'Joy Care Services
                      701 Geylang Rd Teambuild Centre
                      #03-03 Singapore 389687
      Email admin@... or call Lay Pheng or Jin Kiat at Tel: 67490190 (Mon - Fri, 8.30am - 6pm).
      Course Content:
      Level I (1 session)

      1. Understanding the helping relationship - what helping is and is not
      2. Understanding the process of helping - setting boundaries, how to prevent burnout,
      3. Understanding the self of the helper - what it takes to be an effective helper.

      Level II (12 hours, 3 sessions)
      1)      Self awareness - how can we be more aware of ourselves when interacting with others
      2)      How to actively attend to the elderly - basic attending skills, verbal and non-verbal
      3)      Engaging the elderly - how to actively listen to them?
      4)      How to empathise and connect with the elderly - Communication skills and techniques in counselling:

        a)      Listening skills
        b)      Reflecting skills
        c)      Questioning techniques - do’s and don’ts
        d)      Clarifying skills

      Trainer Profile:
      Ms Teo Puay Leng has more than 14 years of experience in managing community services working with the disadvantaged groups, counselling and training. She has conducted training for the National Council of Social Services, Social Service Training Institute, Ministry Of Manpower, Voluntary Welfare Organisations and Community Groups. She is currently the Executive Director of O'Joy Care Services.

      You may also forward this to your friends who might be interested.
      Thank you!
      With regards

      O'Joy Care Services
      701 Geylang Road
      Teambuild Centre
      Singapore 389687
      Tel: +65 67490190
      Fax: +65 67421909
      Website: www.ojoy.org
        ~Bringing oceans of joy to those we serve~